Author Topic: DeSSSSSSSSSSSSScent 4  (Read 5758 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: DeSSSSSSSSSSSSScent 4
The Pyro-GL was crap, the GX was epic, just nod and agree with me. :P

are you guys talking looks or performance?  cuz i thought they all behaved the same way.  didn't even realize they were named differently to be honest.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the GL lacked the additional missile racks.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
And the GL looks nowhere near as rugged.

Offline Topgun

The GL:

The GX:

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
I think the GX was closer to the Magnum in terms of actual speed, but I can't deny the GX does look more impressive(even moreso compared to the cutscene versions of the GL that had the guns pushed all the way to the ends of the wings, and a skinnier fuselage).

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I like the look of the GX better too, but that's the cutscene model. The ingame model in D2 looks nothing like that. :p The D3 Black Pyro is essentially a GX, in any case.

are you guys talking looks or performance?  cuz i thought they all behaved the same way.  didn't even realize they were named differently to be honest.

D2 and D3 have slightly different handling characteristics, not related to the ships specifically. I used like D2's handling better (slower turning and acceleration, but faster speed) when D3 came out, but have no preference between them today.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, it's hard to make a direct comparison between the ships, since both engines have a different overall feel to them.  I think even the original Descent felt a bit different from D2, even though you were technically flying the same exact ship.

And that in-game GX model from D1 and D2 is a wonderful sign of the hardware limitations when it was made.  Apparently, the poly-count budget didn't even allow for the inwards-angled rear fins. :p

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
The GL:

The GX:

Not sure it's fair to compare the cutscene model from D2 with the ingame model from D3...

Offline Topgun

its the best I could find :p

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Not sure it's fair to compare the cutscene model from D2 with the ingame model from D3...
Well the model from D2 is the GX and the model from D3 is the GL. :p
And D2 got a high-poly cinematic model of the GX for in-game, D3 never got that for the GL, I believe that tells you something about how much the GL is (not) loved. :P

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I think the GX was closer to the Magnum in terms of actual speed, but I can't deny the GX does look more impressive(even moreso compared to the cutscene versions of the GL that had the guns pushed all the way to the ends of the wings, and a skinnier fuselage).

The GX was definitely heavier armed than the GL. However, it is nowhere near as heavy or slow as the Magnum. Good players who fly Magnums are either very good at playing Descent 3 or fine-tuning their controller sensitivities, although I suspect both.

I started off with the GL, and between it and the GX, the only real difference in specs that I note between both is the larger missile store of the GX. You can turn fast enough to face any attacker or pursuer in either the GX or GL, but when it comes to the Magnum, on default sensitivity/ramp settings, you can actually feel just how ponderous it is.

The D3 Black Pyro is essentially a GX, in any case.

Not really. The front design of the Black Pyro is completely different from the GX. They may have the same rear fins, but they're not the same. The GX is slightly slower, recalling from my D2 experience, but the BP has less stopping power than the GX and is less versatile when its armaments are taken into consideration.

The GX will always make me feel like I'm flying an agile block of metal. The GL and BP, on the other hand, makes me feel like I'm flying a durable piece of cardboard.

By the way, here are some fan-made GXes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLMV3BJ2k8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQJ-oTzB5D4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7f6bPW4_ZQ
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:41:26 pm by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
those last two looked hideous.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
those last two looked hideous.

You obviously haven't seen this. :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Well yeah, MetalBeast's Pyro is the one that rules them all. :P

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLMV3BJ2k8
Wow. I really haven't been keeping up on D2X-XL.

The GX was definitely heavier armed than the GL. However, it is nowhere near as heavy or slow as the Magnum. Good players who fly Magnums are either very good at playing Descent 3 or fine-tuning their controller sensitivities, although I suspect both.

I started off with the GL, and between it and the GX, the only real difference in specs that I note between both is the larger missile store of the GX. You can turn fast enough to face any attacker or pursuer in either the GX or GL, but when it comes to the Magnum, on default sensitivity/ramp settings, you can actually feel just how ponderous it is.
Mostly I meant in terms of being able to jump across a room(including afterburners). The D2 Pyro just doesn't do pursuit/retreat as easily(ugh, D2 Thiefbot).

Offline Nuclear1

HSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSORRY THOUGHT SSSSSSSSSSSSOMEONE WASSSSSSSSSS CALLING USSSSSSSSSSSS
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Not really. The front design of the Black Pyro is completely different from the GX. They may have the same rear fins, but they're not the same. The GX is slightly slower, recalling from my D2 experience, but the BP has less stopping power than the GX and is less versatile when its armaments are taken into consideration.

The GX will always make me feel like I'm flying an agile block of metal. The GL and BP, on the other hand, makes me feel like I'm flying a durable piece of cardboard.

They still look pretty similar overall. They have some connection in the plot, since the BP is a PTMC design like the GX. Maybe one is a newer version of the other.

The D2 GX feels different from any of the D3 ships simply due to how the games are designed. As I said before, the handling, speed and weapon changes are not differences between the ships as such, but between the games.

Wow. I really haven't been keeping up on D2X-XL.

The current versions are quite nice, and people are now making new level sets designed to take advantage of XL's capabilities. I played one recently called The Sphere and found it very impressive, far beyond anything else I've seen in D2.

Offline Topgun

I keep running into game breaking bugs whenever I use it.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
If you've used an older version of XL before, try deleting all your player files and making a new one. This has fixed obscure issues for me several times in the past.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i found the rebirth versions much easier to use than XL.