Author Topic: Why the need for a "Colossus"?  (Read 10660 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: Why the need for a "Colossus"?
This will of course only work if the rest of the system is secure-ish and the sath can't call in the other 80 saths to come help.
Which is why I suggested a concurrent operation at a crucial point for the Shivans in-system, like a jump-node.

I thought the big issue with the Lucifer was that it was shielded. How can the Colossus deal with a shielded destroyer that was supposedly 'impervious' outside of subspace. You would think that the GTVA would further develop inter-subspace combat tactics instead of a super ship.

Unless beam cannons somehow overwhelm the Lucifer's shields. Beam cannons go a long way from laser turrets.   

we seem to work on the "beams pierce shields" theory here

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
What intrigues me more than anything else is where the GTVA got beam technology from. Not from the Shivans, obviously - the Lucifer split into half at the Sol end of the Delta Serpentis-Sol subspace corridor, and the Hades was blown up before any proper scans of its beam weapons were taken.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Maybe they made sense of scans of the Lucifer's systems?

dont rule out good ole human/vasudan ingenuity. for all e know, they could have been developing bems durring the great war. they might not have been fielded because they were too large, too expensive, very early in the testing phase and therefore not able to be put on a front-line warship

And let's not forget that just knowing something is possible is a big step toward making it yourself. As soon as they saw the Lucifer's beams, they focused research on recreating the technology.

That, plus captured Shivan weapons and power systems and scans of the Lucy should do it.

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
Remember that special forces mission where we had to scan ships? I believe the special forces themselves conducted A LOT of these missions. Especially judging from the events in silent threat (the canon one, not fan remake). It is apparent GTI had been busy.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
GTI captures beam tech from Shivans, incorporates beams into Hades but continue to develop them.  GTA destroys Hades and halts the rebellion, sifts through what tech and projects they could find, destroys what they don't like, keeps what they do... including beams.  GTA's recovery of GTI's beam development is incomplete, but enough to give them a starting point.  Some years later, beam tech is matured enough to mount on GTVA ships.  The only thing that raises an eyebrow story-wise, is that the Shivans decide to equip beams to their cap-ships across the board at the same time the GTVA does... AAA too. That's somewhat coincidental timing.  Of course, the real reason was Volition wanting to spice things up visually, and perhaps find a way to make cap-ship engagements more interesting and less drawn-out.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline IronForge

True, there is not much canon-wise about beams. It is just V realising they missed out big time by not having beams in FS1. But the shivvies did have a beam on the lucy. Maybe the first wave was rather weak and didn't have beams, just a scouting party.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The SSL was a "missile" with a special trail, IIRC.  Game engine limitations did not allow beams for FS1.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
It's not a missile. It's a laser shot hacked to look like a beam, with an invisible head and an extremely long tail.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It was something not beamy, and that's what I remembered. :p

It's a missile, because I was able to make one heat-seeking.

It was really cool.

The point though, is that it was meant to be a beam before they had the engine technology to make beams in-game. For reasons why the Shivans didn't use beams elsewhere until FS2, see http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=68969.0 and http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67872.0 for theories.

It's not a missile. It's a laser shot hacked to look like a beam, with an invisible head and an extremely long tail.
And you have to admit, it was clever. ;)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
After that, beams pierce shields (gameplay).
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline IronForge

The fact was, it was meant to be a beam. It is after all called shivian super laser or something. It isn't a beam in the editor because the engine didn't support beams till freespace 2. Else I'm sure it would be a beam. It was just V's half assed attempt to make a beam. And I gotta say, I couldn't tell in the cutscene.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The fact was, it was meant to be a beam. It is after all called shivian super laser or something. It isn't a beam in the editor because the engine didn't support beams till freespace 2. Else I'm sure it would be a beam. It was just V's half assed attempt to make a beam. And I gotta say, I couldn't tell in the cutscene.

Considering the engine capabilities, it was a rather clever hack.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
And I gotta say, I couldn't tell in the cutscene.
It looked more or less like a huge ball of fire in the FS2 intro cutscene. :P

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

If they managed to make something you couldn't tell from a beam without being told it wasn't one to begin with, how is :v: 's workaround a half assed one? :wtf:

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
The lucifer in the fs2 intro video was obviously using beams. In fs1 when it takes down a destroyer or two with those really slow streak missile things. Those were also beams (clever fs1 beams, i have to differ on that). Beams might have been possible in fs1 if V could've possibly thought to do them differently.

Such as making beams really fast moving projectiles instead of an instant hit system like they are in fs2.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.