Author Topic: Portal on Steam for Free!!!  (Read 7278 times)

Re: Portal on Steam for Free!!!
Nope, I stay away from online FPS as much as possible, in fact about the only online games i play are those simple facebook games.

I quite agree.

Online gaming used to be fun, and then voice chat and matchmaking were implemented, and suddenly it was just... not fun anymore.
I'll stick to single player. Or multiplayer with friends. Not online.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I enjoyed MMO's for a while, but the whole thing got internally politicised, and an evening online became sort of like a second day at work, which wasn't really what I wanted from my relaxation time.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I enjoyed MMO's for a while, but the whole thing got internally politicised, and an evening online became sort of like a second day at work, which wasn't really what I wanted from my relaxation time.

There's a new MMO out there that stripped out all of the nonsense, giving you only the core of the MMO experience.

Let me see if I can dig up the link....

Yep. Here.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've played TF2 only once or twice myself, but I still recognized it as being a fantastic game; besides, Portal and the HL2 series more than carried their weight.  (Hell, I think I would have payed $50 for Portal itself.)  The only game I've traditionally played online is Descent 3, but I'm willing to try out a good thing when I recognize it.

Speaking of, we really need to try organizing another HLP TF2 gameday.  We have that Steam group going, so we might as well use it.  The reason I haven't broken into TF2 is because I don't know what I'm doing with it (I really wish Valve had included some sort of singleplayer training/tutorial mode), but I'd love to change that.

I'm making a note here:  Huge success!

Actually, I bought Portal when it got released as a standalone title, but kudos anyway.  Pretty good way to market Steam for Mac and build hype for Portal 2 in a way that doesn't come off as being a huge marketing ploy (or at least a ploy that provides enough benefit that one doesn't care it's a ploy to begin with).

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i've got to ask what they sold this for originally.  it's a well-designed concept and game, but it's so short it really seems more like a demo.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
i've got to ask what they sold this for originally.  it's a well-designed concept and game, but it's so short it really seems more like a demo.

It was part of The Orange Box, which was sold for the price of a single game but included Half-Life 2, both of its episodes, Team Fortress 2, and Portal.

Probably the greatest deal of all time.

Speaking of, we really need to try organizing another HLP TF2 gameday.  We have that Steam group going, so we might as well use it.  The reason I haven't broken into TF2 is because I don't know what I'm doing with it (I really wish Valve had included some sort of singleplayer training/tutorial mode), but I'd love to change that.

We do!?? I must have in I say.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

It was part of The Orange Box, which was sold for the price of a single game but included Half-Life 2, both of its episodes, Team Fortress 2, and Portal.

nah, C&C The First Decade contained TEN games/expansions for $20.  THAT was a ****ing deal! :nod:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

If you're like me and basically only care about Portal, it wasn't a good deal for $50. TF2 looks like it might be decent though.

I played several multiplayer games obsessively from about 1997-2002 (especially UT, D3 and FS2), but have largely fallen out of online gaming since then. I rarely have time to get deep into a game these days, and I don't like the trends that multiplayer games in general have followed over time. The FPSs have become very slow paced and lack the gameplay depth of their predecessors, and the space sims have all turned into MMOs. I did play C&C3 a fair bit a few years ago though, and it was a lot of fun despite its network bugs.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i've never actually played C&C online.  i did used to play RA2 in high school in our programming class, but 8 v 8 battles never got finished.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
TF2 is a blast online.  I play regularly.  My Steam profile is here if anyone ever wants to join me:  http://steamcommunity.com/id/mpryan
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

We do!?? I must have in I say.

They still haven't added me. :/

So that's how you do it...

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197984903491

Now we wait for Axem to stumble along and let us in the group.

Offline Axem

Invites sent. Just how many Boschs are there on Steam anyway? :p

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I think I'm a member. I don't use Steam much. :nervous:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Steam, to me, pretty much consists of a grey box that appears for a few seconds before some of my games run, well, that and the store.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Invites sent. Just how many Boschs are there on Steam anyway? :p

44, on the first of four pages.

Oh yeah, funny story: It turns out that the 'ignore-invite' button within the 'friends' pop-out menu overlaps the 'accept' button. Funny note: there doesn't seem to be a way to say "Whoops! Let me undo that!" to Steam.  :ick:

Offline Axem

And I don't appear to be able to reinvite you...  :doubt:

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Problem solved. I just had to go to the group page.  ;)

You'd think that they'd have an 'ignored' list, though. :/