Author Topic: FSF: engine stuff  (Read 9552 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
what sould be in the new engine,
this is  engine stuff only,
things like volumetric explosions and bump maping should be posted here,

get out the old FS3 wish lists

the big things I want
first off Geo-Mod  :devilidea:
second shaders (reflectince, bump, glow, and transparency)
support for the new trueform technology (N-patches) (I've heard this isn't too bad)
particles
animation suport

and will someone sticky this
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Stuck.

And there is reflection and specular (shiny) shading....
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
multitexturing
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
1.where are you getting the Engine from?
2. does it have to be from a space sim?
3. Couldn't you use the Red Faction Engine it has the Geo-mod.
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Kazan
yes
no
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
This is basically a feature wish list for a FS2ish game engine that would be designed and built by FS2 fans like us.

A glide plug-in would be a nice thing, if anyone in here knows enough to make one if and when the engine itself is made. (Or at least when video plug-in specs are finalized.)

Probably not workable, but: Ability to run on a system with 32 MB physical RAM and lots of VM. Keep reading for why.

Assembly segments that are optional, with C++ code to fall back on if compiled on a system that doesn't have assembly code written for it. (If memory requirements are low enough a PS2Linux port would be interesting. :D)

AI with the emphasis on the I. ;)

More advanced scripting system. Of course.

The stuff I mentioned in the POF thread. :)

Edit: Almost forgot the why.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2002, 10:27:40 pm by 657 »
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Native support for aniostropic (spelling is probably completely wrong :p) or something texturing. Also bilinear and trilinear options...

Also if it's possible flying into hangars, domes etc. possibly via Geo-mod :D (with this we can do hangar stuff like Starlancer)

And of course the ability to land and take-off and multi-area battles, like starlancer. Maybe a free-form add-on so we don't have to define solid missions? (IWar2...)
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline daveb

• WHEE!!
Continued from the other thread :

You guys really need to slow down a bit here. You're well on the standard huge-internet-project-that-never-comes-to-fruition :)

Forget about volumetric explosions, bump mapping, and all that hoobedy doo.

If you want to see _actual_ results, scale it waaaaay back to start and then after you've accomplished a thing or two, start adding.

Things you might consider starting with.

- Have two guys get together and design and implement a complete set of 3 coherent interface screens. Artwork and all. Main menu, mission-list screen, and options. Put together a framework for hooking all the screens together and hooking into the "main game". This is actually a lot harder than it first appears, if you want real consistency, functionality, and acceptable artwork.

- At the same time, get a single ship flying around a basic starfield, controlled with the keyboard. Don't worry about collisions or "physics". Do it in an OpenGL window using your own rendering code. Nothing fancy (no lighting, probably not even textures). It won't be fast and it won't be flexible, but it'll be progress.

Give yourself 2 months for the above. Put a hard deadline on it - maybe even come up with some internal milestones of your own. Don't be entirely surprised if it takes twice as long. It'll be a good indicator of a.) how many people are actually going to spend real time on the project (my guess : <= 4)  and b.) what your total capability level is.

Forget about licensing engines and all that baloney. If you don't build your basic 3d game design skill set, you're going to run into a big 'ol brick wall somewhere down the road (note to genius programmers - being able to call a half-dozen OpenGL functions to draw some triangles does not a 3d skill-set make).

Forget about geomods. One of the most brilliant programmers in the entire industry spend close to 2 solid years developing that technology. Forget about animated meshes and vertex shaders. You're about 50 steps ahead of yourself :)

The key to this whole thing is baby steps. Even more so because we're talking about an "internet" project. Just look at the "descent 4" project that's been ongoing for, oh, I dunno, 2 years with zippo to show. I'd bete good money they tried to tackle the same scope of project that takes professionals 2.5 years and 5 million dollars to finish :)  Plus, if you keep it small from the start, you'll have many more rewarding experiences as the little things come together, and you might be less likely to become disheartened and abandon things altogether.

There's a bunch of directions I could go here, specifically about software engineering, but I suspect your, uh, project director, is probably too stubborn to listen to anything I'd have to say, so I'll leave this as it stands.

Offline Grey Wolf

[size=0.25]Hmmm... This might actually be DaveB...

EDIT: I definitely believe it is. Someone slap the :v: logo and a title saying "V-God" on this guy.[/size]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2002, 12:53:35 am by 102 »
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

I'm here...Hi Dave.

I basically told them the same thing in the other thread about this.  

You're right.  Orbital did plunge into D4 without much thought to how it all works.  Well, it's been a year now, we've learned a lot, and we're moving in the right direction now.  :)

I'd love to help these guys out..maybe even call it FreeSpace III, but it's up to them.  *shrug*

[edit] What?  No Orbital God tag for me?  :P [/edit]
--Valin Halcyon
Descent IV Design Lead
President, Orbital Design Studios
www.descent4.net

Offline daveb

• WHEE!!
Well, it's been a year now, we've learned a lot, and we're moving in the right direction now.  :)

Heh. Is Slutter still giving you guys a hand?

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by Valin Halcyon
What?  No Orbital God tag for me?  :p
What? Hmmm? I'm confused. BTW, you screwed up your smiley.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009
What? Hmmm? I'm confused. BTW, you screwed up your smiley.

They seem to be making Descent 4... :)
pssssstttttt: Dave has posted - we must enshrine his holy words
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
It's Dave!

Looks like we're getting more developer-type people around here.  About time, says I. :cool:
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Shrike
It's Dave!

Looks like we're getting more developer-type people around here.  About time, says I. :cool:  

let's just see how long it will last.
Oh, yeah, I was wondering about animated meshes, and being ahead of our time... I don't question the "do the simple things first", it's all common sense. But what completly dropping the idea of animated meshes? The first Descent had that already...
SCREW CANON!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Volumetric Explosions is a biggy...
Erm, better dynamic lighting is a close second, because the FS2 ones...I don't know. I don't like something about them :D

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Unkown Target
Volumetric Explosions is a biggy...
Erm, better dynamic lighting is a close second, because the FS2 ones...I don't know. I don't like something about them :D

Volumetric explosions, I'm against. At 100% you complain about resources taken for a few docking points? do and try volumetric explosions :rolleyes:. Make explosions out of particles, that can be good ( if done right ). volumetric? No.
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Bump-mapped damage decals. :nod:

Offline Inquisitor

Well, it's still in the mental masturbation stage. Need to sit down and really figure out what the scope is, what the goals are, etc. If I remain involved, my intention is to have realistic goals ;)

It doesn't hurt to let people dream a little.

If I don't have to go to Mexico next week, I'll probably grab CS at home and see what it can do, I'll also toss together something in Torque. Let these guys argue over it. I personally don't want to spend the next 18 months of my life developing an engine from scratch, so my strong recommendation is to use a pre-existing engine to which the development team will have source access. Alot easier to get that ship moving around on screen if you start with some of the basics written for ya. 10 months with the Torque source code has pretty much convinced me I don't ever want to write an engine from scratch :)

I think the final decision on that, though, is a little further in the future.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2002, 08:37:27 am by 122 »
No signature.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Have it so you can kill all the special crap and play a blisteringly fast, low visual quality, frag-fest.

Might even be an idea to tie the engine settings into the game config so if you've got the graphics ramped to high heaven then it slows the game down some to allow a less jittery game playing experience.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com