Author Topic: Total War: Hajime!  (Read 6162 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Awwwwwww, yeaaaaaahhhh.

Offline Solatar

I was kind of hoping for World War I (wasn't expecting it), but this looks pretty good.

Offline mxlm

Oh, please

Hey, CA? If you want to make fantasy: total war? There's nothing stopping you.

And on that note, I'm going to fire up King Arthur and see how it is.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Demitri

Nice! Gotta admit tho i was hoping for a Rome 2: Total War. Maybe next time
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Pah, gonna be simplified (read:crappified) by the devs, not at all as the previous shogun or the games before Empire Total Crapwar

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm playing King Arthur the RPG at the moment, which is quite similar cosmetically to TW, though, I don't think it's quite as strategy-dependent (and archers are like guys with lilttle exocet launchers, though, in fairness, they can be weakened a bit with a tick-box), I quite like it because it's the first step towards the sort of TW game I'd love to play, which involves vast armies, mythical monsters and magic ;) Think 'Total War Meets Dawn of War' ;)

Edit: Oh, and it's also cheap on Steam at the moment, and comes with a rather interesting Crusades-based strategy game that I still haven't looked at...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:27:25 am by Flipside »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've never played any of the Total War series, but I've watched my brother play Medieval (and Medieval II, after he found out that the original flat-out can't run on his laptop's video card) at length.  It's fascinating how readily a storyline arises out of the gameplay itself.  For instance, the Pope was being a royal excommunicating ***** during one of his campaigns, so he managed to sneak in an assassin and take him out by some stroke of luck. :D

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Oh, please

Hey, CA? If you want to make fantasy: total war? There's nothing stopping you.

And on that note, I'm going to fire up King Arthur and see how it is.

I sure hope they get out some mod tools for this one.  There's a reason Medieval 2 was the best, and it has nothing to do with the actual game.

Guys in here should go check out Third Age: Total War.  It's pretty cool stuff.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
:bump:
The demo is out if anyone hasn't heard yet.
Not available in my region, but my computer probably wouldn't be able to run it well anyway.
Anyone tried it?

Yeah... I'm excited. :nervous:

Pah, gonna be simplified (read:crappified) by the devs, not at all as the previous shogun or the games before Empire Total Crapwar

Empire was simplified? SIMPLIFIED? What the hell? The whole problem with Empire was that they tried to do too much all at once. The previous Shogun was awesome because it was simple, just like the Kingdoms expansions.

And why do those ... flameboys... think that just because Empire TW was bad, the series is now ruined forever? There is no such thing as continiously releasing awesome games. Sometimes, you get games that are ambitious, but rubbish. That does not mean that you end up in an endless cycle of continiously repeating the mistakes you made in *insert substandard game here*.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Unless the devs are bad, but CA has done good work before, so I'd give them the benefit of doubt.

Oh, and btw, you replied to an almost 1 year old post. :nervous:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Empire was simplified? SIMPLIFIED? What the hell? The whole problem with Empire was that they tried to do too much all at once. The previous Shogun was awesome because it was simple, just like the Kingdoms expansions.

I actually think Empire was simpler than Medieval 2, not in the least because large portions of the gameplay are simply walled off by the mechanics. Spying/sabotage/assassination in M2 were inhibited by the inherent failure of your agents, but you could fix that by practicing on similarly fail rebel armies. No practice targets in Empire, no means of improving your agents' skills, and the traditional TW "percentage chance of an agent action actually succeeding is game's listed percentage chance minus 20%" means that bit of stuff is walled off from you.

On the other hand, Empire is ****awesome because of the naval combat.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Japan is too overrated.  They should make a Three Kingdoms: Total War based on the Chinese novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms.  I'd totally play that.

-R

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Oh man, all those vids.

It's growing in me, I might go ahead and try to get the demo to see what's all this fuzz about.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Japan is too overrated.  They should make a Three Kingdoms: Total War based on the Chinese novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms.  I'd totally play that.

-R
There's a mod for Med2 that's set during the Song Dynasty, but a Three Kingdoms Total War would truly be another beast. All games about Three Kingdoms made by Chinese usually suck. :blah:

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever

-R
There's a mod for Med2 that's set during the Song Dynasty, but a Three Kingdoms Total War would truly be another beast. All games about Three Kingdoms made by Chinese usually suck. :blah:

There's a mod for RTW of that. Or at least of the same name.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I bet you could mod Medieval 2 into Three Kingdoms if you really tried.  Unfortunately you won't be able to mod Shogun 2 because there's NO MOD TOOLS
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
They dropped mod support after Empire I think. Code base issues was it? Mod community for Med2 and RTW are still very much alive thankfully.