Author Topic: Axem's HTL Charybdis  (Read 45967 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
My only suggestion would be to increase the contrast between bright (behind the neck, platey things on the sides) and dark (under the spinner, engine section) armour sections some more. It's something that really stands out in the original, but is not very apparent in the new version.
I second that one. But apart from that and orange lights, it looks great.

Offline Sobbsy

I think the reason people are suggesting it looks 'cartoony' is because there's so many dark lines throughout the textures. Every separation is made with a thick solid dark line - it's almost like it's cel shaded. That was also my impression at first (hence my asking "are these really ingame shots) but I still think I'd need to see it 'for real' in-game on my end to be sure - maybe we all just use different lighting settings and such and it'll look totally different for everyone else depending on what mission or what lighting conditions we see it in.

Also yes, change those orange lights to a lovely soft blueish / purple mix and it'd look fantastic (think of the Main Energizer visible on the outside of the Enterprise in the Wrath of Khan, if you're weird enough to remember that!).

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Orange to blue? Um.. yeah... The original shows those as yellow. Personally I like the orange. But blue? Probably not.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Lester

I'm for keeping the orange too. The orange/grey combo is one of the most aestethically pleasing colour combinations there is.

Besides, blue/grey is a BP colour combo, isn't that what you lot were vouching against?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
All the *****ing was because of the shapes of the hull plating.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The orange lights should be changed to yellow. They were windows in original, now they look like some kind of phlebotinium gizmo.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Man we pick nits pretty furiously here at HLP.  :P

The model looks fantastic, very high-tech (which fits an experimental ship well). Regardless of anyone's feelings involving the texturing, it blows the retail model out of the water. Can't wait to see it in-game. I might even try harder to keep it from blowing up since it looks so awesome.

Offline Aardwolf

The orange lights should be changed to yellow. They were windows in original, now they look like some kind of phlebotinium gizmo.

Likewise.

Obligatory "everything else is good", because people here have a habit of bursting into flames otherwise

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?

Likewise.

Obligatory "everything else is good", because people here have a habit of bursting into flames otherwise

You might as well not say it all if you are going to disclaimer it everytime, as if you are trying to make some point you think we care about.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Man we pick nits pretty furiously here at HLP.

This is FSU, the whole point is to improve rather than change the look y'know.  :p
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You might as well not say it all if you are going to disclaimer it everytime, as if you are trying to make some point you think we care about.

That's funny, this post looks a lot like one that contributes nothing to the conversation and would only serve to provoke other members into ad hominem attacks.

I would like to remind everyone that such comments are frowned upon in this community. Let's focus on the qualities inherent in the work on display, and not on each other, shall we?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
The HTL version looke really, really cool. I applaude your hard work!
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
So, this model had me saying, "That's not a real model. .... Wait, that's how it's going to look in game?....    :eek2: "  Well done turning one of my least favorite ships to one of my favorite to look at.

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
There should be an actual screen shot of the HTL Charybdis in the mission . . .Love the treason. . .
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
http://youtu.be/v205Jgd8a24

Coming soon, once feedback on its finalization is complete and we decide on some minor table elements.

Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
Hawt.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Kolgena

Very good looking. Not much left to suggest.

Why are your perseuses at LOD1 there?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Why are your perseuses at LOD1 there?
I suspect the cause is more aggressive detail distances being tested. If that's the case, then distance where lod0 is used needs to be longer. Luckily there is a spreadsheet calculator to do just that. ;)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Actually.. I think it was the spreadsheet calculator that screwed with a lot of the distances in a negative way...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The point was to make detail distances more aggressive, better suited for modern models. They were left in testing to be tested, but were merged into assets as-is. The spreadsheet didn't screw anything, lack of testing/feedback did. To get more optimal results, all that is needed to edit the formulas a bit, which is trivial.