Author Topic: Axem's HTL Charybdis  (Read 45968 times)

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Re: Axem's HTL Charybdis
That's awesome :yes:

I'm curious as to what you are planning to do with the bluish window areas.  On the original the front ones have the same texture as what is now the swirling gas zone, which might be a little out of place now.  I see that you matched the side window things to that color too, which looks good to me, especially since the corresponding glow area on the wings from the old model has been dropped.

Can't say I have much in the way of suggestions except for the spine not to be covered in arbitrary looking window lights like on the original.  Maybe you could replace those with long yellowish glows in the grooves of the dark part?  Anyway, it's already looking great :)

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
It looks almost intimidating... I mean it's a flying coffin when attacked. So great work!

Maybe there is space for two versions? One lighter like the retail one and a SpecialOps dark version like the current one is looking.
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Exile
Maybe there is space for two versions? One lighter like the retail one and a SpecialOps dark version like the current one is looking.
Good idea. I prefer something similar to retail one, but dark SOC version is also interesting and would be a good option for modders and campaign makers.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You can just edit the textures yourself. It's not that hard.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
You've got it coming the right way already :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
More blue around the ship besides the radome would be nice...

Offline Kolgena

Already looking like a piece of cutting edge technology, instead of a drab concrete slab with spinny dishes.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
This is actually quite awesome.

If you don't mind me asking, what's left to be 'worked out' with the gas textures?
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Sab0o

Just spent a whole day getting the maps near finished. Gas texture whenever Zacam gets round to it.
The red glowy spikes will no doubt end up changing colour/become multi-coloured. Not final.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
multi colored spikes like raiiiiinbow plz
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
amazing work!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
TBH, plating lines seem a bit too irregular to me, not to mention they're too dark. You made it looks like something from BP. And I think that the orange lights at the sides should be more yellow.
Otherwise, it looks good.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
TBH, plating lines seem a bit too irregular to me, not to mention they're too dark. You made it looks like something from BP. And I think that the orange lights at the sides should be more yellow.
Otherwise, it looks good.

If by 'something from BP' you mean not 'blurry old retail' then yes, it looks good.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It makes me not want to destroy the GTA Internets ever again. :)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
By "something from BP", I mean "looking too much like next-gen BP stuff". Sab0o's "personal" style seems to have a lot in common with Esarai's (this can also be seen on HTL Medusa, but to a lesser extent), whose creations are extensively used in BP.
My complaint is that it doesn't resemble retail "style" enough, original texture was very angular and regular, looking less high-tech than this. I do like this texture, but I don't think it's a good idea for Charybdis (theoretical Mk.2 version could be textured like that and it'd be fine though), since it just screams "BP" to me.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Right. So a vessel mentioned as being the cutting edge needs to look older?

**** it. It's the old "if it's not tilemapped, it ain't true to FS" debate again, which this isn't the time or place for. This is awesome work, and no matter whether you feel it's "FS2-ish" enough or not, it will be in the MediaVPs. When it's released, we'll eagerly look forward to your version of the texture that is more in line with your sensibilities.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm not saying anything about tilemapping, just adding more 90 degree angles and regularity to the lines. It is an awesome work, but IMHO, it's too much like BP designs. It makes the AWACS look like it's from the same yard as Solaris and the new Narayana. FS2 ships have, in general, quite utilitarian, angular look. Irregular panels or varying shades of gray are staple of Esarai's designs, especially Solaris and Kvasir.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Once more, once it's released, you will be able to remap it to your hearts' content.

Oh wait.

I forgot. It's not tilemapped. So you would have to learn how to actually texture stuff in order to do it.

And honestly, have you even looked at the texture? It's still quite utilitiarian. It's still definitely a military vessel. It still looks the part. The only thing that makes it different from the original is that it doesn't look like something made 10 years ago.

Oh, and finally, have you even LOOKED at the old model?

Because it really doesn't look all that different to the new one, you know.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You can clearly see that bars on the side are windows (thus should be yellow, like the ones on front boom), engines are not armored at the rear and hull texture is much more regular with less contrast between panels. The panels are also smaller. My main complaint is that Sab0o's texture references Solaris (which has a rather distinctive texture pattern) a bit too obviously.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Exile
I agree with Dragon. I like current textures. They're awesome, but maybe for some next-generation Charybdis. Current ones don't reflect original Charybdis textures. Hull plating from Sab0o's version is totaly different than retail Charybdis textues. Hades, Iceni, Colossus, Typhon... They're the examples how the mediavps models should look after revamp.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.