Author Topic: 2010-07-30 - Sobek Class Battlestar, now with textures! (image heavy)  (Read 44687 times)

Offline newman

Re: 10-07-30 Sobek Class Battlestar, now with textures! (image heavy)
Someone ripped off a Slayer design again? Huh. At least it's proof he's doing things right :)
Still, if you got links to that or some screenshots I'd like to see it.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

The graphics and the models look amazing. But the only thing I dont like about the ship is the the runway part is longer then the landing tubes. I also think the tubes look too flat. There much shorter in height then the Pegasus or Galactica. And why are the top two engines shorter then the bottom? In the cannon battlestars there the same length.

Also does this mean R1 is ready for uploading? Post it already! It looks done enough.

By the way who is Slayer? Is there a place I can look at his designs? Id like to see them.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 07:53:50 pm by FreespacePilot2010 »

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
The graphics and the models look amazing. But the only thing I dont like about the ship is the the runway part is longer then the landing tubes. I also think the tubes look too flat. There much shorter in height then the Pegasus or Galactica. And why are the top two engines shorter then the bottom? In the cannon battlestars there the same length.

Also does this mean R1 is ready for uploading? Post it already! It looks done enough.

By the way who is Slayer? Is there a place I can look at his designs? Id like to see them.

here are some concepts of Starslayer:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=46790.0

The Top Engines of Galactica are larger and longer then the bottom ones.
Pegasus Engines are all the same size.
Also take a closer look at the rear section of the Theseus, you'll notice something.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

Oh.You mean StarSlayer. I thought Slayer was someone different. And I dont deserve a facepalm. We all make mistakes.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
And I dont deserve a facepalm. We all make mistakes.

Actually, that was mostly for this:

All meant in good humor, though. :D

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
What are those 4(ish) box things between the two main engines?
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Nothing special really just grill work. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
So for an utter BSG n00b like myself, would someone be so kind as to point out the launch tubes on the model?  I've read all the discussion on whether they look right or not, and I've scoured all of those shots, but I can't figure out where the heck people are talking about. :p

(The model itself is amazing, though. :))

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The tubes along the sides of both pods are used for launching vipers.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
...ah.  I totally didn't even notice those. :p

Offline newman

Consider that this is an attack battlestar. It's not meant to stay in a prolonged fight with baseships - it's meant to jump in, unleash hell on it's target, then get out before it takes too much fire. To facilitate this, flight pods of different proportions then on Galactica would be needed - you'd want to be able to recover your wings more quickly since this ship can take less damage then a Galactica type battlestar. Wider pods allow for more vipers to land at the same time.
To the rest I say not every battlestar needs to look the same. And no matter what you do someone will dislike the design, what's important to us is that we like it and judging by people's reactions the majority do like it as well. In all honesty you'd be hard pressed to find a BSG ship designed by Slayer that I don't like :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I see that now. Its supposed to be slender looking because its like a battlestar version of a sports car. Its meant to be fast. Thanks for clearing that up newman.

Offline Bilal18

This is brilliant! The screenshots are nothing short of beautiful! My god, the dev team have an astounding attention to detail. Excellent work again guys. Thank you for the update :)

Offline YIIMM

What are those 4(ish) box things between the two main engines?

Unsure, but most engine details on the Sobek are similar to Galactica's.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It looks good! There was something I originally thought was a mis-baked texture something, but upon closer inspection it's supposed to be that way.

The fighter bay pods look kinda Cylon-ish; they've got that sort of curve kinda like the basestar has.

Offline Swift

• Swiftly Irritating
I'd say that this is yet another example of sweet, awesome, work of battlestar magic, but I constantly give your work all sorts of compliments (which you deserve), so to break the monotony, I'll say that YOU'VE DONE A TERRIBLE JOB AND YOUR WORK LOOKS LIKE IT WAS DONE BY A SIX YEAR OLD WITH SHAKY HANDS.

Also, it looks awesome. (Damnit.)
"Aim high. You may miss, but at least you won't shoot your foot off."

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
can't wait guys... you're awesome!!!!!!!!

EDIT: some people are never satisfied and happy... of course everyone can say his opinion, but if you think i follow bsg since is come in italy and i soon downloaded BTRL, you can't imagine how happy i am to see this update everytime... thanks  :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:44:00 pm by torc »
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

OMFGWTFBBQ!! That's really a ship!

Dual landing strips O_O! 8 in all cause theres 4 landing decks holy THe battle star looks awsome do you guys have technical specs out? Squadrons info fire power,nucs thigns of that nature I seen a thread about how big it was but i have yet to find any combat specs.

seams like it could give the pegasus a run for its money although the hangar decks looks like it can only fit 1 story high for vipers yet thers launch tubes upside down which means theres 2 launch decks? atleast what 8 squadrons? of 20? im very curious about the in depth stuff and how the story will start... where does this battle star hail from? how did it escape the cylon attack? was it deployed on a mission when the attack hapened.... ect ect you get my drift I love your work guys this mod is making me very curious in the story you will create.

I guess makign this mod is liek having your own tv show? if you release it part by part you can get creative as you go enough to make your imagination want to make up all the little details. :)

Any how if there is a technical Spec sheet for the Battlestar id like to see it to feed my anticipation i wanna know as much as possible about the ship well be serving on.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 04:23:26 pm by Dermeister »