FS1 or FS2

FS1
17 (21.5%)
FS2
31 (39.2%)
Debates like these are stupid
31 (39.2%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: FS1? Or FS2?  (Read 9380 times)

Offline Tantalus53

• That one guy with the thing
    • Steam
I tend to prefer FS2. More than anything, it seemed better thought out, and a better play experience. Volition took what was already good and made it great. I also like the terminologies as well. In FS1, it seemed like you were getting everything as it was developed, which made no sense to me. Like the Herc, which made appearances in cut-scenes, yet in Vanilla FS1, they announced it and gave it to you after Vasuda got slagged by the Lucifer like she was hot off the drawing board and fresh off the assembly line. In FS2, you got authorized to use certian weapons and certian ships. Not to mention, the story seemed far more organized. you can say you werent in as much awe of the Shivans, but i felt worse faceing the Sathanas fleet than the Lucifer. We knew there was only one Lucy at the time, and we justneeded a way to kill it. But the Sathanas fleet... lets face it, we had to ambush it and disarm its main weapons for us to kill one with the biggest war-ship in our arsenal, and that single sathanas had nothing but several wings of Basalisks to help it. If it had a demon or a Ravana with it, and proper defense, Colly would have been cooked. And that was only the first one... they had more juggernauts than we did destroyers, more than likely.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Wait. What? The Hercules never made any appearances in any cutscenes. And yes, you got weapons 'n stuff as they were completed, because the GTA needed them the second they were finalized.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Wait. What? The Hercules never made any appearances in any cutscenes. And yes, you got weapons 'n stuff as they were completed, because the GTA needed them the second they were finalized.

Colossus cutscene.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Uhh, Cobra, the Herc and Herc II made an appearance in the FS2 intro.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Pretty sure he meant FS1 cutscenes, guys.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Tantalus53 probably refers to the Galatea mainhall when the mentions the Herc appearing before it was introduced.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Pretty sure he meant FS1 cutscenes, guys.

Even then, he would be wrong.
There are a few Hercs flying around in Endgame.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
FS1 definitely for darker atmosphere, music which makes great feeling of "FreeSpaceiness" and the feeling of incoming danger. :pimp:
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline sgtbeil

Wow. This thread has gotten much more attention than I would have anticipated and all of you have very valid points as to which you prefer such as: The execution of FS2, the mood of FS1, and the scariness of fighting a Sathanas fleet over a single Lucifer.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
and the scariness of fighting a Sathanas fleet over a single Lucifer.
If I may say so, I think fighting the Sathanas fleet was less interesting than fighting the Lucifer. The Lucifer was the ubership played painfully straight - the same ship was a menace for 2/3s of the campaign right up to the end, but that's what made it interesting.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Sathanas fleet was also basically a menace-in-being. You knew it was out there, but you didn't see it in your mission area much. Every time we saw a Sath in our mission area, excepting Into The Lion's Den, we were either there for that specific ship (A Monster In The Mist, Bearbaiting, High Noon) or expected (A Flaming Sword, Their Finest Hour). The Lucifer liked to show up unannounced and wreck your ****.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
But the thing is, FS1 made it seem like the only existing GTA fightercraft at the beginning of the game was the Apollo...which obviously doesn't make much sense. :p That was always something that bugged me about FS1, the fact that the GTA had apparently rolled over its entire arsenal in the span of a few months.  At least FS2's approach set things up so that there were other ships out there, only you didn't have access to them until a certain point.

You don't need to make that assumption.

They had previously had other ships in service that are no longer used by the time the campaign comes around, that's in the reference bible, not sure about other weapons but can you imagine if the avenger cannon had come out before the shivans arrived?

The Prom was a progression of tech, the flail was randomly reacquired, most missiles were combinations of vasudan and terran tech, and tsunami had been worked on for a while, the Banshee was based on Shivan weapons.

The introduction of the Shivans changed a few things for both sides, firstly that, instead of facing a finite fleet of definable numbers that worked on a similar basis to the themselves, both sides found themselves against an opponent of unknown origin, numbers (but far more limited) and power.
I'm pretty sure that, instead of most focus being on mass producing existing tech to keep up with combat, the GTA and PVE both shifted a lot more focus onto their arms race so that they could bridge the massive gap to the Shivans.

It makes sense that they would.....cut corners or such if the dynamic of the war suddenly shifted.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Darius

The Hercules was in the FS1 intro...

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Offline Darius

Well, in icon form anyway :)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Hercules icon makes me want to say, "HIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~" :D
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well, by that reasoning, the Perseus was the standard fighter right from the beginning of FS2, as evident from the briefing icons.

Offline sgtbeil

Well, by that reasoning, the Perseus was the standard fighter right from the beginning of FS2, as evident from the briefing icons.

well not necessarily. in FS2 the standard fighters/bombers were specific to the squadron and their role in the GTVA. Who knows? Maybe its just there because they thought it looked the coolest in icon form :P ? As for the FS1 intro, they used different icons for the different squads and whatnot to differentiate them from each other to keep better track of things....well, it's what I would have done

Offline Roanoke

I always felt friendly capital ships in FS1 were a liability ie; something that had to be defended without really providing any assistance. Where as Fs2, with beams and flak, they were much more decisive, Or atleast, appeared so.
FS2 generally fel more coherent, better sounds/music, graphics, more conclusive story (or what we got to see of it).