Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 190029 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
I think its heavily implied that they did have problems, just not all the time.
Donno, that's how I've always taken it.

Something like... "It works but sometimes it just dies on you, so pray it doesn't!"
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline -Sara-

Or if the Typhons beam cannons cannot be powered sufficiently, change her into a missile destroyer. :)
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
I think everything should fit in with the plot and the background, especially the operational tactics of the Vasudan fleet. If the Vasudans have been doing so well since Capella, why deploy an old refit or missile boat in Sol? I'm sure the HTL Typhon will be in a mod concerning an earlier timeframe.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Flak

We have seen a modified Orion in WiH which is otherwise still perform its role pretty well, so the Vasudans probably did the same with their old Typhons.  Just strip the obsolete blob turrets and replace them with pulse turrets and/or more flak and AAA. I don't think it needs better beam weapons (the original BVAS are the best large beams), they just need more of it, preferably some which can be fired from broadside. Just label the ship as Typhon Mk2 or something like that.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Or if the Typhons beam cannons cannot be powered sufficiently, change her into a missile destroyer. :)
I could see a Typhon doing that.

Offline Darius

Back when I was stuck for a model for the GVL, I did muse the possibility of using a Typhon instead.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
weren't the vasudans so prosperous post-capella because they DIDN'T spend a lot on military?

i think about the best usage for old typhons would be as impromptu installations.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
That's not the impression I get from 'The Rift'

Quote from: The Rift
Moreover, the Vasudan Battlegroup organizational scheme was more flexible and versatile than the Terran Fleet model.
On the Vasudan side, animosity towards Terrans grew as they continued to devote resources to their return to Sol. The prosperous, cosmopolitan Vasudans of the post-Capella era looked down on the Terran fixation with their homeworld and resented continued Terran xenophobia towards the Vasudans.
The Medjai began an ambitious restructuring of the Vasudan military in order to create a totally self-sufficient and powerful force capable of power projection, sustained counter-insurgency operations, and node denial. The Terrans, who were still struggling to get their own new warship program off the ground in the face of massive debt, were not pleased to see themselves so thoroughly eclipsed.
The impression I get from The Rift is that the Terran part of the GTVA had little free cash available because of spending on the Sol gate (which, as if WiH, has yet to pay off in terms of resources gained) and possibly counterinsurgency, and their economy was not all that strong after Capella. What they did not have, was money to upgrade warships. Hence we see cost saving measures like using the GTD Cathage as a quick jump drive test-bed and older ships used in combat roles (two GTD Hecates and an Orion in Sol, for example). The Vasudans, however, had a strong economy, was not weighed down my massive projects like the Sol gate and thus managed to modernize their fleet ahead of the Terrans (and presumably invest in things that provide a more immediate return, like infrastructure). Whilst a Typhoon refit is not incompatible with the idea of a modernized, flexible fleet, I have to question whether these 40-50 year-old spaceframes are suitable for combat purposes. Supply and other behind the line tasks seem much more realistic roles for them.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
That can probably explain why Steele is striving so hard to get the Vasudans to join forces with the Tevs...
Even though Tevs have super beams, they barely have the money to power them.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The Typhon's beams are already a bit on the low side for FS2 standards, and secondly, so are the turrets, which are barely 17 ad wouldn't need reducing for a two kilometer ship.

The Typhon's turrets aren't exactly very sturdy either. A fighter pilot skilled enough to evade its turrets and fighters can strip it of all its weapons in under five minutes.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
That can probably explain why Steele is striving so hard to get the Vasudans to join forces with the Tevs...
yes, because the terrans burn money to power their beam cannons
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
yes, because the terrans burn money to power their beam cannons
IT'S FUELED WITH MONIES.

Offline crizza

Well, what about the whole PVN Hope thing?
IMHO a typhoon destroyer and the pride of the vasudan navy...should get a comeback...

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
It should yes, unfortunately though it made the Galatea's mistake of challenging a superdestroyer...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It looks like BP is following a good part of STR canon, hence the Hope is nothing more but space dust by now. Nothing is said about the Pinnacle though.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline -Sara-

Well, what about the whole PVN Hope thing?
IMHO a typhoon destroyer and the pride of the vasudan navy...should get a comeback...

I think the Vasudans with their whole new "moving forward" ideology would not care right now for nostalgia concerning a ship such as the Hope.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline -Norbert-

I agree. They didn't seem to care much for the loss of their homeworld, why would they cling to a ship class?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
And Vasudans seem to actually IMPROVE their capship designs over time. Look at the Hatsh over the Typhon and the Mentu over the Aten, compared to the Hecate over the Orion...
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I think the Tevs kinda need to capture Earth to level the playing field, cos humanity is really getting outplayed.

Offline Delta_V

I don't really understand why the Vasudans would have disliked the Terran's efforts to reconnect with Sol.  Sure, they could have diverted that effort to infrastructure or whatever, but that was part of the point of restoring contact with Earth.  If you reconnect with Earth, you have access to the massive industrial base of Sol, which would be a huge benefit to the GTVA, so I would think the Vasudans would have encouraged this. Granted, this did not go according to plan, but they couldn't have known this ahead of time.