Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 190192 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
The United States actually had a huge economy by the time it entered WWII, bigger than Japan and Germany combined IIRC

And still had more than 40% of its factory space out of use.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I thought WW2-era US always had a larger economy than anywhere else, even before the war began.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It did.

However I would point out that traditionally at least, the countries that have pulled off an economic miracle were coming out of a depression; the US and Russia in WW2 are the obvious examples, whereas Japan and Germany, who had already recovered from the Depression, couldn't match the expansion of their enemies because they were tapped out at the start of the war. Sol is similarly tapped out, particularly now that the existing expansion portion of their economy around Saturn is occupied.

I think that's a different story. I could be wrong but I think themain problem was the lack of resources. Japan couldn't produce much iron/steel by themselves, that's why the invaded China. So in the end, they were unable to make enough weapons or ammo without such supply. Had they possessed enough ressources, they probably could have replaced their losses, especially if you consider that the could mobilize the whole population with their fanaticism.

Germany lacked oil i think, so they tied to secure North Africa and the Caucasus (not that sure at this point) + they were at war with the US and USSR, and produced tanks that were better but harder to replace, pilot ad maintain.  The USSR had the T34 that they could mass produce, they could replace the tanks and their crews fairly quickly. Plus if you're pushing back the enemy, that means you have access to the destroyed tanks and can repair those.
The red army could lose 1000 tanks and have 800 of them back in the fight in a week.

Posted by: General Battuta
« on: February 04, 2011, 03:38:26 pm »

Thank you!

NO U! :) You earned those praise well.

Is any of my ideas possible though?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Fair enough. I bow to most of your logic, sir. :P

You were right to tell me to be a bit less acerbic, and I appreciate it. It was a good discussion.

gfgfgfgfgfgf

However I would point out that traditionally at least, the countries that have pulled off an economic miracle were coming out of a depression; the US and Russia in WW2 are the obvious examples, whereas Japan and Germany, who had already recovered from the Depression, couldn't match the expansion of their enemies because they were tapped out at the start of the war. Sol is similarly tapped out, particularly now that the existing expansion portion of their economy around Saturn is occupied.

This is quite true. But you could envision Sol as still coming out of a depression, just on a really long scale. There's just so much space, so many asteroids, so many orbital slots, so much room for population growth - when things started going right mid-Isolation they might have kept going right, and still be going right.
okay this entire argument is, thinking about it, totally deranged and misses the point of why excess capacity exists after a depression

It'd be interesting to take a look like this at the GTVA side of things. Their own military production is pretty heroic in its own way.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:11:40 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
I'm pretty sleepy; but a quick 2c:I can see industrial capacity increasing through: 1) utilizing unused capacity; 2) transfer from civilian production to military production; 3) actual economic growth (in the GDP=productivity x workers x hours x population sense; but there's limits on how much population you have and productivity doesn't grow fast enough in 18 months). And no, these aren't mutually exclusive.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 02:58:27 am by Ypoknons »
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline crizza

What about backround informations concerning Steeles gamble at Saturn?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Make your save games carry over so things like how you handled Mission 6 or the way you treated Conrad Verner impact the later campaign :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Make your save games carry over so things like how you handled Mission 6 or the way you treated Conrad Verner impact the later campaign :D

Oh man I wish.  :( If there were some way to carry PPVs between campaigns...

Offline crizza

Best place for getting funny ideas? The shower^^
What about spacesuit combat?
Simply adding a single gun, vent some suits tzowards an installation and fight against enemy suits on the hull of that installation.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
There was a great spacesuit fight sequence in Vassago's Dirge, I recommend it.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I just got 3 Atalanta kills in one in The Plunder, because they flew out of the GTL Anemoi class Agincourt as one.

When I look into it I realized the Anemoi class only has one bay path per fighterbay. It might be nice (and comparatively easy) to add multiple paths per bay.

Offline Flak

Ships that carry over to the next missions were common in FS1, though FS2 only did it one or two times. Maybe some mission can be made to accomodate such things.

Also another idea, if it is fine to have a view from mutiple characters that the player is given to control different ships in a single mission, Wings of Dawn did this in 2 missions I think. One idea I could think of is in mission 6, while the player controls Laporte in most of the mission, when the Indus jumps in, the player now control the Indus. Once the corvette is destroyed, then the player is reverted back to Laporte's fighter since the rest of the mission after that is just a playable cutscene.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Only problem I'd have with that is, "Oh, why is my ship so banged up suddenly? And why am I out of Secondary weapons?!"

Offline -Norbert-

I think they are talking about "if you didn't destroy X in mission 3, it will be in mission 4" kind of situations.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Best place for getting funny ideas? The shower^^
What about spacesuit combat?
Simply adding a single gun, vent some suits tzowards an installation and fight against enemy suits on the hull of that installation.

the pre-director's cut version of AoA had weapons on one of the spacesuits.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline -Sara-

Maybe it's interesting to give the GTVA capital vs. capital turrets (non-beam) a bit more of an 'oomph', they don't feel like main guns right now. It'd be nice if they actually blast a more irregular, less perfect shot, like an actual cannon (but not as intimidating as UEF weapons).
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
The only thing that needs to be done with the pulse cannons to make them look more intimidating is to increase the sprite size I think. The hit effect even seems large for the bolts.

Offline Flak

I am also not sure about the pulse weapon firing sound, it is not that audible, in contrast of the UEF PDS autocannons and gattler turrets which have that scary DAKKA DAKKA sound.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I am also not sure about the pulse weapon firing sound, it is not that audible, in contrast of the UEF PDS autocannons and gattler turrets which have that scary DAKKA DAKKA sound.
I feel it to be the exact opposite, the PDS and Cavalier sound extremely unintimidating.
Gattler on the other hand, has an aggressive sound.