Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 190284 times)

Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
So is the Gargant going in?
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
So is the Gargant going in?

You know, I think out of all of them this mod has the highest percentage of admins who will kick you off of their mod forum for things like that. I don't think the answer has changed, and if it had, would they tell us?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No, dumb troll is dumb.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I dunno he's kind of growing on me

growing huge

like a gargant

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Parasitical.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
More use of creative FREDding with a purpose.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

growing huge

like a gargant
Quoted for lulz.

Offline -Norbert-

Just a few quick ideas and possibilities:

Maybe the theory that what we saw in the hallfight cutscene were just manufactured bio-mechanical soldiers is true and Ken is one of the "real" Shivans, controlling out of the Shadows.
Just because the creations are rather blunt in their tactics doesn't mean the creators are dumb.

I know this is an old post, but FYI [V] have explicitly stated that this is not the case. What we saw were Shivans - they specifically said that it wasn't some kind of power armour or defence drone or whatever. Buuut the whole "hive mind" theory, if it turned out to be true, certainly leaves the door open for their being more than one type of Shivan - workers, soldiers, queens etc. might all look very different.
I don't see the connection there. You say it isn't wearing power armor or some such and isn't a drone (I assume you mean fully mechanical construct either AI or remote controlled - some insects have subtypes called drones too after all). But a genetically manipulated being or a being grown in a lab is neither. And since they are considered evil, they shouldn't have problems doing something like that to members of their own species. Or maybe the augmentation was even voluntarily to increase their abilities as soldiers.... if they are individuals with a free will in the first place anyway.

Now what you said would certainly contradict the other theory I threw around in another thread, about what we saw being an encounter suit for the shivans and them being energy or psychic beings without a physical body. Though since it was only contradicted in a post or interview of a Volition member and not by any official release, I think a mod could go with the idea anyway.

Offline Luis Dias

And since they are considered evil...

By whom? By your humanesque sense of morality? There's a tautology hidden here, my friend.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Qent

Could we shoot down SSMs before they jump to another engagement?
Reposting because it seems like it got lost. :< Soooo... yeah.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I think it's possible, but you have to be very quick. The SSMs only linger around for slightly longer than the game's arbitrary immunity on them, I think.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It could be done in a mission, the problem is that FRED does not have a hook to determine whether a weapon has been shot down.

Offline -Norbert-

By whom? By your humanesque sense of morality? There's a tautology hidden here, my friend.
By whom you ask?
I'd say by pretty much the entire Human and Vasudan races in FS2 and a lot of real people too.
Me? I think what they do is wrong. That doesn mean they are necessarily evil, though wiping out entire planets, sunsystems and races is hard to justify. Especially since they didn't even try to communicate (or at least didn't put enough effort into it that Humans and Vasudans were able to even notice it).

As for the SSM matter:
I have pretty little idea of what's possible in FRED these days, so don't laugh if the following idea is ludicrous.
Would it be possible to fake the jumpout of the missile and really let it fly on invisible to hit an invisible target and then judge how many missiles got through by the damage that dummy target took?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Unfortunately there is no way that I know of to perform FRED operations on weapons.

Offline Luis Dias

By whom you ask?
I'd say by pretty much the entire Human and Vasudan races in FS2 and a lot of real people too.

Exactly. That is why I said it was tautological. It's still true, shivans are evil, despite this fact being tautological: we consider everything we "don't like" as evil, and if we don't like what shivans are doing, they are evil. Seems simplistic in logical terms, but it works.

Me? I think what they do is wrong. That doesn mean they are necessarily evil, though wiping out entire planets, sunsystems and races is hard to justify. Especially since they didn't even try to communicate (or at least didn't put enough effort into it that Humans and Vasudans were able to even notice it).

Notice, all this is human values, not shivan nor "alien". What is "wrong" in wiping out entire species, apart from humans not liking it? How many times you kill annoying ants crawling up the kitchen table, without a second's thought? Do you consider yourself "evil" for doing so?

And this obsession with communication might well be just a human folly. Perhaps it's precisely this obsession that the shivans are keen to wipe the galaxy from, as some form of pollution. Ever thought about that?

Hmm, what about firing local SSMs to a token ship very far away from the combat zone ?

On second thought, I think they still leave ugly trails between their point of origin and their destination.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Unfortunately there is no way that I know of to perform FRED operations on weapons.
Perhaps this could be done by making a ship that uses the missile model (or even a different model, for example a missile attached to subspace drive module) and launching it using a fighterbay patches or some kind of FRED trick. It wouldn't most likely work for ship launched SSMs, but for those launched from some kind of static platforms, it might (BP ones seem to be the of former kind though).

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
What is "wrong" in wiping out entire species, apart from humans not liking it? How many times you kill annoying ants crawling up the kitchen table, without a second's thought? Do you consider yourself "evil" for doing so?

You have a severe problem with scale.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story