Author Topic: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon  (Read 23707 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
I haven't finished watching it, but 'Watch my rudder' ...really?  :rolleyes:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
All of the points mentioned above? Those have been part of Ace Combat gameplay for some time (albeit in the case of the "look at awesome **** happening" camera one they haven't done since the PS1 days, IIRC).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, I know, I played the last one. Was hoping for something a little better this time. Eh, at least it looks fun to play.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
All of the points mentioned above? Those have been part of Ace Combat gameplay for some time (albeit in the case of the "look at awesome **** happening" camera one they haven't done since the PS1 days, IIRC).

Your experiences are markedly different then mine then.  The cannon was a reliable method for downing enemy aircraft in my experience, once you positioned yourself for a good shot a couple second burst of 20mm was all that was needed unless it was some buffed stat plot craft.  If you can honestly tell me you have no issues with trying to dogfight with a weapon with as anemic performance as in that vid your a better person then I am and I salute you.  While I freely admit thew AI in Ace Combat is roughly around shooting gallery standards neither was a flight of superiority fighters in parade formation just happen to pass right by you and wait to be pumped full of AMRAAMs.  I mean that was literally SNES Top Gun level stuff there. 

Sure with a franchise that has been around as long as AC has been all the things I've mentioned have occurred in the series, but if your honestly going to tell me the things I pointed out are not retrograde changes from the last installment then we don't have any common ground to debate here.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Given that the last AC I played was Zero (Couldn't play 6 due to a distinct lack of a 360), I can't say anything about the last one :P

That being said, your point about the gun has some merit, but I believe it's more due to this strange "dogfight" camera mode that doesn't seem to be well-suited to gun aiming. And yes, the AI just lining up to be shot is rather silly, but I'm unwilling to condemn a game based on stuff that happens during the tutorial level.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Given that the last AC I played was Zero (Couldn't play 6 due to a distinct lack of a 360), I can't say anything about the last one :P

That being said, your point about the gun has some merit, but I believe it's more due to this strange "dogfight" camera mode that doesn't seem to be well-suited to gun aiming. And yes, the AI just lining up to be shot is rather silly, but I'm unwilling to condemn a game based on stuff that happens during the tutorial level.

As I mentioned in my initial post I'm putting it down to being a tutorial set to a dumbed down difficulty level and over use of that CQB chase mechanic.  A decent amount of the other trailer footage I've seen leads me to believe I can still play it like a standard Ace Combat Game which is what I'm investing my hopes and dreams on.  That said I can't imagine you could watch that tutorial and want a whole game of that which was displayed  ;)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, I don't. Just like you said, the whole CQB mechanic seems to be a bit weird to me, and not all that practical.

(Also, the multi-target missiles were long-range interceptors before, why make them into short-range shotguns instead?)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Interesting Trailer/Tutorial footage.  Looks like about a 10 minute long play of a intro mission, though I hazard a guess it's probably not the actual finalized opening mission since it doesn't jive with what I've seen in the story trailers but it gives a decent idea of how all that CQB dogfighting stuff they been pushing works in action. 
Actually it makes sense story wise. The hero pilot wakes up from a dream where he's just experienced his own death as told by the E3 trailer... so the tutorial mission is that dream. I like the way they did that.

The gameplay part... not sure about it yet. We'll see.

What's not clear is how the new style gameplay and the toggleable "classic" style gameplay fits together.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Does anyone know where I can find an MP3 of the music used in that video without all the radio chatter / sound FX? I've rather taken to it...

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Does anyone know where I can find an MP3 of the music used in that video without all the radio chatter / sound FX? I've rather taken to it...
I think everyone is asking that question. Ace Combat music has always been an appealing feature...hopefully a full soundtrack is done with this game just like with the last ones. Especially with the way the music is sounding so far for this one.
- IceFire

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Unfortunately the best I can do are the trailers where the OST is better featured

Trailer 1
Trailer 2

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
~hunts down old thread~

Well, back in November, another guy at ACS made his own version, apparently based on that and AC6's Liberation of Gracemeria(I wouldn't know, not having played AC6), which is still up for download on Mediafire. Give that a whirl, if you like. Don't mind the perhaps odd choice of title.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
~hunts down old thread~

Well, back in November, another guy at ACS made his own version, apparently based on that and AC6's Liberation of Gracemeria(I wouldn't know, not having played AC6), which is still up for download on Mediafire. Give that a whirl, if you like. Don't mind the perhaps odd choice of title.

Interesting... the remix that the guy did is not that bad in places. There's some terrible terrible synth in places but not bad.

The Liberation of Gracemeria soundtrack is one of the most posted Ace Combat pieces on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HGQS5XSoJ4

The composer of the Liberation piece and the theme for Ace Combat Assault Horizon are likely the same guy as the theme and general feel of the music is definitely the same or very similar. The theme itself is almost the same.
- IceFire

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
The rap-rock is pretty bad.

The rest is godlike.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Wow nice! I wasn't expecting as much as I got.

And I spotted the Sukhoi T.50. Very cool addition! That aircraft has only been revealed in the last year or so... getting it into the game is pretty impressive.
- IceFire

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Wow nice! I wasn't expecting as much as I got.

And I spotted the Sukhoi T.50. Very cool addition! That aircraft has only been revealed in the last year or so... getting it into the game is pretty impressive.

I'm kinda stoked at the prospect of flying the "Bone."

Offline CKid

The full list of flyable aircraft has been released on the official Facebook page along with many pictures. Go take a look.  :)

Link
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
So Fishbed, eh?
Neat!

Offline RVR72G

The playable demo will be released shortly:
We can fly 2 missions, one with F-22 and one with the Apache.

http://ameblo.jp/project-nagase/

Rough translation:
Two strategies can play in the trial version!Fight fighter f-22A Raptor "fighter mission"Fighting attack helicopter AH-64 D Apache "attack ヘリミッション"It is.

It is important and of course can be downloaded for free.
http://twitter.com/#!/PROJECT_ACES