Author Topic: 3.6.12 MVPS possible bug. Mantis worthy?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
3.6.12 MVPS possible bug. Mantis worthy?
Hey guys,
Just today for no apparent reason I ran into a problem with the 3.6.12 mediavps. They'd worked fine beforehand, so I'm not sure what could have happened, but here it is:
When I play with just the MVPs, they work fine. They also work fine when used as a secondary mod with Vassago's Dirge. However, when using them as a secondary mod with FSPort, they do not work at all. All tech room and ingame ships show up with retail textures. Everything, including backgrounds etc also seems to be either only enhanced by the fsport mediavps or not at all.

I'm using FSPort 3.2, with the SSE2 Inferno release build.

My command line is this:
C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF_SSE2.exe -mod mods\fsport, fsport_mediavps, mediavps_3612 -spec -glow -env -mipmap -nomotiondebris -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -voicer -post_process  -no_emissive_light

I ran a debug build in which I selected a few things from the tech room, went to the campaign room and picked the FS1 campaign, more tech room, then ran a training mission and exited from the mission after a few seconds of looking around. Log is attached.

I'm not sure what other info you guys need, so just ask and I'm happy to provide other info.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: 3.6.12 MVPS possible bug. Mantis worthy?
Code: [Select]
-mod mods\fsport,fsport_mediavps, mediavps_3612
Here's the issue. You didn't follow the install procedures. Now, it may offend your sense of neatness to not put mods in a separate "mods" folder, but doing that will break stuff (as evidenced here). The issue is that the various mod.inis have all been written with the assumption in mind that the mod would live in its own folder in the base FS2 directory. In the FSPort's case, it expects the FSPort to be in FS2\fsport, the fsport mediavps to be in FS2\fsport_mediavps, and the 3.6.12 mediavps to be in FS2\mediavps_3612. In addition, the fsport_mediavps need to be loaded _before_ the fsport, otherwise they're not going to work.

To fix this, move the fsport and fsport_mediavps folders to the base FS2 dir, and select the fsport_mediavps as the active mod in the Launcher. Assuming you haven't edited the mod.ini there, it should work.

Also, stuff like this should never, EVER be put on Mantis. The SCP Mantis is for code bugs only, not for setup issues like this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Ah, right. Thanks, The E!'

My question is why it took this long for it to screw up. I played through half of FSPort with the MVPs working before I started getting those issues. Weird. Oh wellz, thanks for the help! Thread solved. Conclusion: CommanderDJ is a n00b.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
3.6.12 MVPS possible bug.
Okay, so I moved the fsport_mediavps and fsport folders to the main FS2 directory, selected fsport_mediavps as my mod, and ran the game. With a regular build, I get a message even before the initial pilot screen telling me the mod has caused 155 errors in the game... lol.
I'm assuming I've done something stupidly obviously stupid?
Here's my command line:
C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_12r_INF_SSE2.exe -mod fsport_mediavps,fsport,mediavps_3612 -spec -glow -env -mipmap -nomotiondebris -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -voicer -post_process  -no_emissive_light

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes. You have not posted an fs2_open.log, or told us what the error is.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns