Author Topic: Capships don't use beamweapons  (Read 2650 times)

Offline GunHawK

Capships don't use beamweapons
Hello,

I just found this game, and I have to pay tribute to the whole team. Great work!

But I have a problem with the latest DVD Version 1.0 (3.4b).

All capships aren't capable to fire their beam weapons except the Mimbari. For example, the shadow battle ship doesn't fire anything, or the Omega class has only its pulse cannons.  In the editor the weapon tab shows that they should have beam turrets, but the ships don't use them.

What's wrong?

Greetings

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Capships don't use beamweapons
If you are making your own missions, make sure you either beam-free all ships in the mission, or check the "All ships beam-freed by default" checkbox in the mission specs editor.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Easiest way is to check the mission flag (the second thing The E said)

also: some beam cannons are also restricted to certain vectors.... esspecially on such special case ships like the Battlecrap - so they have to be placed and/or moved accordingly for the best "special effects" which might not happen with standard-AI orders
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline GunHawK

Thank you for the fast help. :)

I will test it.

So "beam free" means that the AI is allowed to use the beam weapon at will, right?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
So "beam free" means that the AI is allowed to use the beam weapon at will, right?
Actually, beam-free will only unlock specific turrets that you specify in the sexp usage.  Beam-free-all will unlock all beam turrets on a specified ship (I can't recall, but you might be able name more than one ship with a single usage of the sexp, by selecting the sexp after you've named the first ship, and right-clicking on the sexp, and if the option of "add data" shows up in the drop-down menu, then you can).  The "all ships beam free by default" checkbox (as stated) will unlock beams on any beam-equipped ship in the mission as soon as it arrives.  I believe though that it is possible to fire a beam without unlocking a beam, by using fire-beam sexp.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline GunHawK

Hurray, it works!   :cool: Thanks!