Author Topic: Box art in 1980s era games  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Mika

Box art in 1980s era games
Thought I might share this link with you guys. This reminded me of the 80s game covers, they were really awesome. Even with as lowly machine as Spectrum ZX (if you don't know, absolutely do not ever google it) had something like this as box art.

Of course, the box art had pretty little to do with the actual game, but they were well drawn and makes me wonder why they don't make them like they used to. On afterthought, the box art was a bait and switch scheme and more often than not the game wasn't as awesome as one might have thought by the box - though prices were low also. I liked Volcanic Planet and in case you wondered, it was a shooter game with top down view.

The other Box that comes to mind from that era is this one from Delta Wing (again, Spectrum ZX), it was first flight simulator I ever played. And boy, have they improved since those days. I don't have that much of good memories of that sim, FPS was low (maybe 10 on a good day) and destroying the enemy aircraft was difficult, not to mention the bombing runs.

Share your stories and awesome boxes that you can remember!
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Box art in 1980s era games
I still feel like nothing beats the godawful boxart for the US versions of Mega Man and Mega Man 2.  I mean...look at those. :lol: What's really awesome is that Capcom went with a similar style for the recent sequels as a tongue-in-cheek tribute.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
hows about Elite
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I think of Windmills and VD looking at those two pics.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
lets remake freespace using vintage 1985 graphics
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
let's not.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Not exactly boxart but......

"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
lets remake freespace using vintage 1985 graphics
That would be quite amusing to see, I'd still like to see some of the new ships in MV_Cell mode as well, but that topic never ends well.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Sounds like we need a 16-bit top-down shooter with FS ships.  1942 anyone?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

That's a bit before FS.  You must mean 2335.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Darius

Combination of Shadows of Lylat-style corridor mission scripting and 2d mission flag in FRED, and it's possible.

We all know it is possible because somebody already released a top-down shooter mod with a few single missions.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
We all know it is possible because somebody already released a top-down shooter mod with a few single missions.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=68047.msg1343625#msg1343625
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
But FS2 TDS isn't 16-bit.

Trivial Psychic said 16-bit.

I don't want 16-bit FS2.

Oh, and about that TDS: SPOON!

Offline Cyker

AMIGA FS2!!!

Or FS2 in the style of Raptor/Xenon 2/Jets and Guns :D

I have mixed views on oldschool box art; While it often let the artist do some good stuff, it very often had smeg-all to do with the game :lol:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:47:35 am by Cyker »

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
16 bit? Pffft. So early 90's and late 80's. 8 bit FTW!!!!!!!!
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Did you ever play TurboGraphic16?  The game Blazing Lasers was Awesome!  I even had an emulator for it for a while.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!