Author Topic: Suggestions for a good joystick?  (Read 17662 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Suggestions for a good joystick?
"Cheap", as in, about 300$.
Isn't there anything similar, but cheaper?

Yeah i was joking, that's a big investment !
But i do not regret it, especially the transparents button, you can write/print whatever you want and place them inside your button, that's a gadget... but that's fantastic :)

Anyway a good hotas + rudder control is about 250$ minimum (x52 + rudder) but you won't have ffb.

But it has defaults too... like being forced to use ppjoy if you want to play fs2 with it (as it appears as 3 different devices in windows)

But playing freespace2 with ffb on a hotas has no price :p (and the ffb on the g940 is really great and powerfull)
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I'm actually seriously considering getting rid of my brand-new joystick and going back to mouse. The deadzone is fairly large and driving me crazy, and I can't afford the kind of joystick that would have a small/nonexistent deadzone...

Which joy sushi?
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Which joy sushi?

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Game-console/dp/B001CXYMFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1288140622&sr=8-1

For a $40, it's a pretty good deal, but the large deadzone may turn out to be a dealbreaker. You get what you pay for. :)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Which joy sushi?

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Game-console/dp/B001CXYMFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1288140622&sr=8-1

For a $40, it's a pretty good deal, but the large deadzone may turn out to be a dealbreaker. You get what you pay for. :)

Man... There's a distinct lack of controls on that stick! I for one would not be interested.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

I've been enjoying the XBox 360 wired USB pad (in conjunction with a nearby keyboard for some of the lesser-used commands). It works with the XBCD driver that lets you assign axes (like the right analog stick and triggers) to buttons. XBCD is tricky to install on Vista/7 x64 since it isn't signed, but it's do-able.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'm becoming seriously annoyed with my Saitek Cyborg Evo. The maximum detectable range is a bit short of what the stick's actual range is, and compounding this is the fact that the stick is really stiff around the centre, so increasing sensitivity doesn't really mitigate it. Subsequently makes flying by feel a bit harder and the lack of trigger is also a massive pain. :P

I just started playing FS2 again and recently I've been playing with an old xbox controller I had soldered a usb plug onto. Great controller, but really wish I had my WingMan force 3D or my logitech extreme 3d pro. both amazing sticks that I lost when I moved out of my parents house...Used to use them together when playing Descent. Always got weird looks, but was great fun.

Edit: Anyone ever come up with a good control scheme for when using xbox style controllers?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:03:55 pm by deltantor »

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I am using the Saitek Cyborg Evo Force, and I'm never gonna use anthing else :) 11 buttons, 2 shifts, noob-proof configuration software, and fully adjustable handle. It can even be set up for left hand.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Try flying against a half way decent opponent, I do believe a fair few experienced squadwar pilots broke their(those Saitek Cyborgs) sticks in frustration, trying to get their ship to respond fast enough.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I've noticed a bit of slow response with my Saitek as well in-game. Gah, nothing beats that Sidewinder Precision Pro.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Pah! I prefer a gamepad, the thumb moves faster than the wrist!  :lol:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Pah! I prefer a gamepad, the thumb moves faster than the wrist!  :lol:

I strongly disagree, it's all about setting up the sensitivity. I move my joystick just in the range of 30° and ask the shivans how fast is it  :P
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
x 52 pro forever! scifi design,many many leds, great control and customizable commands... not too cheap,but not so expensive  :yes:
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

First started playin' FS w/ my X-36....graduated to the X-45....now usin' the X-52.

I'd recommend any Saitek HOTAS ya can get yr hands on &/or can afford.