Author Topic: Suggestions for a good joystick?  (Read 17700 times)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Re: Suggestions for a good joystick?
I never liked the Saitek X52. The base sliding gimble plate is plastic so it always chafed when moving around. I would get these really. jerky. movements. unless I applied some lube which still didn't help that much. (THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID)

I sold it and replaced it with a Saitek X52 Pro which uses a metal sliding gimble plate. Very smooth and precise.

Has anyone used the Logitech G940 force feedback throttle and stick with Freespace? I'm also wondering how the force sensing Saitek X65F plays with Freespace's frantic gameplay.

Reprobator owns the Logitech G940, lucky bastard ! And he tells me, playing Freespace is just so great. I would love to have a HOTAS with Force Feedback but I don't really like the Hotas design of the G940. The Saitek X65F looks very good but with no Force Feedback support. That's sad :(

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Maybe I'm just a n00b, but I always had trouble playing FS with a joystick. I used to be a pretty big flight sim-er so I have a yoke and a couple different joysticks, but for some reason I find it a lot easier and precise aiming with a keyboard/mouse. I'd be interested to see what other people think though...

Well, the feeling between mouse/keyboard vs joystick is totally different.
The mouse is totally precise but in exchange, you lost on maneuvrability/responsiveness on tracking fighters (SF Dragon for example) or to make some spectacular evasive manouver.
With a Joystick, you have more control to your ship despite having some trouble for precise aiming. But with time, you can increase your precision. So playing with a joystick is far better for both immersion and flexibility on manouver.

Reprobator owns the Logitech G940, lucky bastard ! And he tells me, playing Freespace is just so great. I would love to have a HOTAS with Force Feedback but I don't really like the Hotas design of the G940. The Saitek X65F looks very good but with no Force Feedback support. That's sad :(

would never change with  a MS Sidewinderstick -_-

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!

would never change with  a MS Sidewinderstick -_-

Well, having a HOTAS is just awesome. I don't mean the MS Sidewinder sucks. But having an independant throttle in your left hand, and the stick and your right hand, is just amazing. :) Damn on me, I knew there were a Saitek Hotas X52 Pro, I would buy it instead of the normal X52.

yeah i know what u mean , its all about feeling , in point of a tvt multiplayer i would say that throttle is right useless  in FS.

I've got the THrustmaster T-Flightstick X which is great value.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
yeah i know what u mean , its all about feeling , in point of a tvt multiplayer i would say that throttle is right useless  in FS.

Could you be more precise ? :) It's been a wild I didn't play online on FS.

If you're an exceptionally good pilot you can perform the function of a throttle with brake-button taps.
Fine throttle control is one of the advantages of a joy but you don't NEED it.

Fine speed control is one of the key TvT abilities in advanced pilots, but you don't need a throttle to do it.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
anyone has a idea how to make the game controller software for the MS Sidewindersticks work  under win 7  ? I acutally using vers. 4.0 but aint workin.

I'm using Vista 64 and the official drivers haven't been working since Win2k/XP.

The way my Precision 2 is handled now, is as a "generic" joystick, and I have to plug it in after booting windows for it to appear. The generic joystick recognition is fine, as the default calibration and setting up performs equally as well as the driver software calibration.

Offline Cyker

All Windoses since Win2K have had the Sidewinder Overdrive protocol driver built in AFAIK. even Linux has had it in the mainline kernel since the 2.4 series! :lol:

The only one that's a total **** to get working on modern machines is the 3D Pro - You either need a) A gameport that is supported by your OS (i.e. Anything that isn't Vista or 7) and b) a computer that isn't too fast, OR one of the rare-as-heck custom 3D Pro to USB converters (Sickone over at descentbb.net still has a few that he made left, or you can DIY from Grendel's plans)

It's worth it tho'; The 3D Pro is a great stick. Very few sticks come close to it even now! (Why aren't all sticks using satarn rings and optical sensors in this day and age?! Pots and gimbals SUCK!!)

anyone has a idea how to make the game controller software for the MS Sidewindersticks work  under win 7  ? I acutally using vers. 4.0 but aint workin.

I'm using Vista 64 and the official drivers haven't been working since Win2k/XP.

The way my Precision 2 is handled now, is as a "generic" joystick, and I have to plug it in after booting windows for it to appear. The generic joystick recognition is fine, as the default calibration and setting up performs equally as well as the driver software calibration.

yes , it still works under win 7 , but  you could do  more finetuning with the software , for example you  could set deathzone and restitance of the stick movement  with my FF 2, now its standard deathzone and you need some more force to move  the stick -_-

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I never liked the Saitek X52. The base sliding gimble plate is plastic so it always chafed when moving around. I would get these really. jerky. movements. unless I applied some lube which still didn't help that much. (THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID)

I sold it and replaced it with a Saitek X52 Pro which uses a metal sliding gimble plate. Very smooth and precise.

Has anyone used the Logitech G940 force feedback throttle and stick with Freespace? I'm also wondering how the force sensing Saitek X65F plays with Freespace's frantic gameplay.

I went with the X52-Pro for the same reason, the slide plate. Don't regret it.

As for the X65F ... I'm drooling. It is so bloody responsive that calibrated just right, it practically reads my mind. I have to find some way to make it a little bit heavier though.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Several people keep mentioning the X-65. Keep in mind that this is a pressure-sensitive stick, and thus for obvious reasons has no force feedback. Now, that said, the thing looks epic and should you have $400 to burn, I suggest you do it on that.

Otherwise, probably the most economical "good" stick out there is the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (goofy name is goofy). Logitech sells it for about $30 USD on their website:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/joysticks/devices/291

I should also note that Logitech ships with (or you can freely download) some pretty great profiler software that lets you bind the controls in pretty much any fashion you might choose, beyond what you can program in FS2. In fact, with this software you can make use of the 8-way hatswitch, something which you can't do with FSO. I personally use it for lateral and dorsal/ventral thrusters.

Now, I've got to say, I just found this on the Logitech website, and this stick just looks amazing, and the key positions and features look very similar to what you'd find on a modern fighter aircraft. That said, DO WANT!

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/joysticks/devices/5855

Last, I just have to throw this on here, because it's so wonky cool:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/5123

Now, if it had a throttle slider on it, it would be WAY better than a HOTAS set-up, at least for FS. Just think of how easy it would be to micro-manage all of your idiot AI wingmates with that thang, yo!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline AlienTermite

• I love... lamp?
This thread has inspired me to try playing Freespace with a joystick again. Maybe it won't be as bad of an experience as I remember... lol

Offline ShivanSpS

No thanks.... i gona die with a keyboard.

Offline Nnexxus

Now, if it had a throttle slider on it, it would be WAY better than a HOTAS set-up, at least for FS. Just think of how easy it would be to micro-manage all of your idiot AI wingmates with that thang, yo!

I bought one of those a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I use it for most of my games (RPGs and FPS, mostly) and I find it much more comfortable than playing with a keyboad.

I'm currently developping a profile for FS2, to be used in cunjunction with a joystick, HOTAS-style. My original plan was to use the G13's mini joystick for thrust control, but I couldn't get it to work in analog mode inside FS2. It's still usable, though probably not as comfortable as a real HOTAS. Apart from this problem, you can do pretty crazy stuff with this device, provided you invest some time and you don't fear basic programming (the most advanced features, such as displaying custom messages on the LCD, are only available from LUA scripts). I'm trying to make advanced use of the device's mode system : you have three modes, accessible from dedicated keys. The key bindings are set per-mode. I tried to improve on that for Freespace, by having per-mode energy settings. Basically, I have a space-superiority mode (balanced energy repartition), an interception mode (more energy for the engines, and interception-related key bindings) and a capital ship attack mode (energy on shields, macros such as 'fire and auto switch banks'). I'm not satisfied with the current state of the profile, so I won't publish it right now, but if there are other G13 users here that show interest, I might publish the thing when it has reached a more usable state.
It's pretty fun to fly with this thing, it's like having a customizable flight computer inside your fighter  :cool:

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

I bought one of those a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I use it for most of my games (RPGs and FPS, mostly) and I find it much more comfortable than playing with a keyboad.

I'm currently developping a profile for FS2, to be used in cunjunction with a joystick, HOTAS-style. My original plan was to use the G13's mini joystick for thrust control, but I couldn't get it to work in analog mode inside FS2. It's still usable, though probably not as comfortable as a real HOTAS. Apart from this problem, you can do pretty crazy stuff with this device, provided you invest some time and you don't fear basic programming (the most advanced features, such as displaying custom messages on the LCD, are only available from LUA scripts). I'm trying to make advanced use of the device's mode system : you have three modes, accessible from dedicated keys. The key bindings are set per-mode. I tried to improve on that for Freespace, by having per-mode energy settings. Basically, I have a space-superiority mode (balanced energy repartition), an interception mode (more energy for the engines, and interception-related key bindings) and a capital ship attack mode (energy on shields, macros such as 'fire and auto switch banks'). I'm not satisfied with the current state of the profile, so I won't publish it right now, but if there are other G13 users here that show interest, I might publish the thing when it has reached a more usable state.
It's pretty fun to fly with this thing, it's like having a customizable flight computer inside your fighter  :cool:

That sir, is quite cool. If there's another reason I'd buy Logitech hardware again, it would be for the abiity to easily reporgram and manage your devices with the softare that comes with the devices. Unfortunately, I'm in no position to get such hardware, but needless to say, I'd be quite happy with a G13. :)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Nnexxus

[That sir, is quite cool. If there's another reason I'd buy Logitech hardware again, it would be for the abiity to easily reporgram and manage your devices with the softare that comes with the devices. Unfortunately, I'm in no position to get such hardware, but needless to say, I'd be quite happy with a G13. :)

Yes, unfortunately the device is rather expensive, and by no mean mandatory for any type of games. But it's still a very nice geek toy for those who like to hack and customize stuff  :p.

I think a cheap logitech g940 should be enough  ;)

In addition : Freespace's ffb is great !

I use the rudder pedal's axis for the ship's roration and the secondary's axis to activate glide, with that, playing with a gliding fighter feel's like driving a rally car  :pimp:
Now i hope one day fs2 would be able to handle multi engine thursters  :warp:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:30:58 am by Reprobator »
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I'm a simple dual joy stick ps2 game pad rip off kind of guy for this game. I put only the essentials on the gamepad. And go back to the keyboard for other things. Usually i leave the mouse on for those precision aiming moments.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.