Author Topic: Requested Changes to Existing FS2 Source  (Read 30873 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Requested Changes to Existing FS2 Source
The fighter AI is actually the thing that I would most like changed; if only I knew more C++ I would start working on that myself. :D They really need better algorithms for close-up fighting. Currently, all they do is simply run circles around you without firing anything as long as you are facing them; they should try to run away instead and come back for another attack run. ;) Some sort of collision detection might be useful as well, as I'm sure we have all seen AI fighters crash repeatedly into their wingmen (without making any attempt to move away) when trying to fly the same path.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Originally posted by CP5670
One thing I forgot to mention in the other thread that might be nice is to have the player's weapons become slightly more powerful when all of the available energy is diverted to weapons. Maybe something similar could be done with shields as well. The effectiveness multiplier shouldn't be very high, but there should probably be some small bonus for having energy on weapons. ;)

I think the main reason that's not there is because having the weapons at higher power level would burn out the heat sinks.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Well then, that's a risk you take sometimes.
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
I think we should focus on simple modifications rather then code intensive stuff. aim for stuff like the ambient lighting Avenger/malard added. We can add biger modifications later when the programes have a better look at the code.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
it's a risk allright and not a small one but when you are facing 8 shivans you have 20% hull integrity and 1 wingman you divert all power to weapons and engines to take out as many of them as you can :) why tha heck is the VWBB down?
I hate My signature!

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
My first request would be to have those SEXPs which don't function (i.e. orders, is-tagged, another one that I forget now) fixed so that they start actually doing what the Help says they do.

Secondly would be the addition of more SEXPs, or better yet the ability to create them as a Fredder saw fit.  Perhaps a programmer could make us a program that scripts SEXPS to be inserted into the engine.  Then one could even post new SEXPs on a board somewhere for others to download and install in their engines. :D:D:D
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Here's another for you. Make some SEXPs applicable to jump nodes i.e. the ability to make it invisible, etc.
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
Please dear God, just make some sliders for the Command briefing screens.... :sigh:

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Oh, that reminds me! Let quotation marks be used in messages and briefing and etc.
- Sarah Vowell

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Originally posted by Alikchi
Here's another for you. Make some SEXPs applicable to jump nodes i.e. the ability to make it invisible, etc.

Uh....no. Jump nodes are just HUD projections of recorded nodes and probably some sensor data. If they're invisible, then they wouldn't be detected and wouldn't be on the HUD.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Well, for one mission I'm doing, you discover a new jump node. Command scans the area and the node is SUPPOSED to pop up on radar. Unfortunately, it can't do that because FRED 2 doesn't see it as a ship.
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Alikchi
Oh, that reminds me! Let quotation marks be used in messages and briefing and etc.
not possible, they're usind to start/end the comm if you look at the txt version.
SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The quotation mark thing is fine; you just have to use two apostrophes instead. ;) (they look exactly the same as quotes in the game) It might be nice to have semicolons allowed, though.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by EdrickV

SEXPs can do pretty much the same thing, except using a percentage rather then absolute hp value. It's rather pointless though, support ships don't repair the hull. (Though they could with the right SEXPs or code changes.) SEXPs are a scripting language, just not one where you type everything out and have to worry about typos. :)

Rip out the SEXPs, attach something like the python runtime library to the project and the reimplement SEXPs in python (or other scripting language). Why? Because one of these minutes, I'm going to think of something you can't do with any combination of SEXPs. Better yet, I'm going to think of something you can do with an ass-backward combination of SEXPs and would rather do with just one clean new SEXP that I can code myself and hand out as a single unit.

Oh and while were requesting things, lets make texture transparency colors and transparency channels work, 'kay?
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by mikhael
Oh and while were requesting things, lets make texture transparency colors and transparency channels work, 'kay?

actually: make them work on voodoo cards too :p
semi transparency, tho, that would be neat too :)
Nut on a side note, that would be better if the opactu of a map could be set directly in a pof editor ratnher than in the modeller, coz that would be another converting pain...
SCREW CANON!

Offline YodaSean

• i am so special
    • http://www.geocities.com/radioactiveyeti
I want higher resolutions :)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yes I would like ambiant mapping
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

I would note that given all the suggestions coming in here we need to have someone set up an online source database where all the generally agreed upon changes can be sent to be included. FSF especially needs this.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Kellan
Please dear God, just make some sliders for the Command briefing screens.... :sigh:

Heh heh, how much text have you lost to that b1tch of a bug, Kellan? ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
My first request would be to have those SEXPs which don't function (i.e. orders, is-tagged, another one that I forget now) fixed so that they start actually doing what the Help says they do.

Well, I found out why order doesn't work. Even you non-programmers can get this: :)

int sexp_order(int node)
{
   return 0;
}

Is-tagged is redundent and I think was made earlier then has-been-tagged-delay. The code is a lot simpler and doesn't have very good checking for unusual situations. (Like checking to see if a dead/not arrived ship is tagged.) Error will work under debug builds but not under release builds. It calls int3() which does nothing on a release build. Ship-Guardian and Ship-No-Guardian work but not the way you might think. Find the "Most Useless SEXPs" thread in FS Modding for details. :)

As far as ripping out the SEXPs, that would screw up backwards compatability with regular FS2 missions. If possible, some sort of SEXP set to use functions from some external scripting system might be useful to some people, but I doubt all the mission builders want to learn a whole new scripting language. :) Something like the system D3 uses: Regular Dallas scripting with support for scripting via C.
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers