Author Topic: Welcome!  (Read 6472 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Fineus

  • I made this.
  • Administrator
  • 212
    • Hard Light Productions
Seems I'm doing this a lot (well, twice :p) lately... anyways, welcome to the shiny new Source Code forum.

Whilst we realise VW is doing something with the project a general lack of information means that we (well, I) have decided to cover it as well. This is in accordance with most peoples opinions so I suppose it isn't just me.

This forum is not dedicated to any one project. Any ideas for the game engine, help needed or source code mods etc... can be posted here. Anything that isn't related to the source code can stay in the FS Modding forum.

Anyway, things are still fairly hectic regarding the release of the source code so things are still subject to change around here, however hopefully this will remain a permenant feature of the forums.

So with all in this in mind, enjoy!

 

Offline Darkage

  • CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
  • 211
*bows before the mighty Thunder*

Good show dude !

Yeah i am the second one to post here !:D:D
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

 

Offline Reaper

  • Swarmer
  • 28
    • http://www.winissimo.net/ww3/
Cool, now i can ask some question (later i mean)
But i'm also one of the first who post here :P
There is full moon shining on the sky... It's midnight... I'm rising from my grave... I have my scythe and i'm thirsty for blood... I'm ready, i'm ready to steal souls and feed on them... I'm ready to kill
World War III: Wasteland Earth

 
ello everyone :))
The Babylon Project 2D Art / Texturing / Model Setup / Experimentation and Implementation

NEWBIE'S GUIDE TO THE VBB:

Enable Beam-free-all.

 

Offline Fury

  • The Curmudgeon
  • 213
I still don't like spreading source code forums over two (or more) sites... This only makes harder to follow source code ideas, suggestions and foundings. *sigh*

 

Offline Skippy

  • 210
  • It's not a bug, it's a featureā„¢
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
I think the first (and easier modification) should be to raise the MAX_SHIPS variable ;)
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

 

Offline Fury

  • The Curmudgeon
  • 213
Quote
Originally posted by Skippy
I think the first (and easier modification) should be to raise the MAX_SHIPS variable ;)


It's already done. Styxx(?) stress-tested it and raised number of ships from ~120 to ~1500. It means that instead of max 390 KB, file size is now max 5 MB. It is not reasonable size, around 1 MB is more than sufficient.

 

Offline Fineus

  • I made this.
  • Administrator
  • 212
    • Hard Light Productions
Quote
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
I still don't like spreading source code forums over two (or more) sites... This only makes harder to follow source code ideas, suggestions and foundings. *sigh*

I realise this but it's by definition we are a mod site dedicated in the larger part to Freespace, the source code is the largest thing to happen in that respect... for as long as I can remember! It's unreasonable for us not to cover it because it's covered elsewhere (which it isn't yet anyway).

Besides, how hard can it be to read two forums? :)

 

Offline Reaper

  • Swarmer
  • 28
    • http://www.winissimo.net/ww3/
Quote
Originally posted by Skippy
I think the first (and easier modification) should be to raise the MAX_SHIPS variable ;)


YAAAAA :nod:  Can't wait :P
There is full moon shining on the sky... It's midnight... I'm rising from my grave... I have my scythe and i'm thirsty for blood... I'm ready, i'm ready to steal souls and feed on them... I'm ready to kill
World War III: Wasteland Earth

 
Could an admin please move a post I made in the Freespace Forever forum over here?  It seems more applicable.  (It's the "Requested Source Code Modifications" thread)

Thanks,
  --TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

 

Offline Fury

  • The Curmudgeon
  • 213
Quote
Originally posted by Thunder

Besides, how hard can it be to read two forums? :)


We'll see.

Quote
Originally posted by Infested_Larva


YAAAAA :nod:  Can't wait :P


Already done. :p (see above post of mine)

 
Quote
Originally posted by Mr. Fury


It's already done. Styxx(?) stress-tested it and raised number of ships from ~120 to ~1500. It means that instead of max 390 KB, file size is now max 5 MB. It is not reasonable size, around 1 MB is more than sufficient.


When can we expect a new executable/patch/whatever?

  --TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

 

Offline Fury

  • The Curmudgeon
  • 213
Quote
Originally posted by TurboNed


When can we expect a new executable/patch/whatever?

  --TurboNed


No-one can say.

You see, it's not as simple as .tbl file modification.
There's questions regarding of real functionality, compatibility and how well it can be implemented to FS2 engine.

Of course we will see a lot of changes to FS2 engine, but do not expect them to be finished in tomorrow, it may very well take one year to get some of the best largest modifications, like DX8 or OGL 1.3 support.

For smaller changes like raising MAX_SHIPS, you may get it in next week when it is thoroughly tested and proved to be functional. But I see no logic to release all those small upgrades to the engine until the ONE source code project team is established, that way you can get all neat upgrades from one and same team which improves quality and compatibility.

I have already explained why one and only one source code  project team is important and needs to be established, so please be patient and wait for this to happen. This is something so big and important that one-man hacker teams leads to nothing.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2002, 05:09:08 am by 173 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by TurboNed
Could an admin please move a post I made in the Freespace Forever forum over here?  It seems more applicable.  (It's the "Requested Source Code Modifications" thread)

Thanks,
  --TurboNed


Excellent service - do the admins around here get paid enough?  (-:

  --TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

 
Quote
Originally posted by Mr. Fury


Of course we will see a lot of changes to FS2 engine, but do not expect them to be finished in tomorrow, it may very well take one year to get some of the best largest modifications, like DX8 or OGL 1.3 support.


Out of curiosity (and at the risk of derailing the topic, though I feel I'm mostly in-context) what would DX8 and OGL 1.3 support do for this engine?  I'm not arguing that it's not something that'd be way cool (even more than cool), I'm just a gamer who fancies himself knowledgable about hardware and software....but really isn't.  (-:  What do DX8 and OGL 1.3 do (besides hardware T&L) above and beyond...DX5 (or whatever FS2's required DX version is)?

  --TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

 

Offline Fury

  • The Curmudgeon
  • 213
Quote
Originally posted by TurboNed


Out of curiosity (and at the risk of derailing the topic, though I feel I'm mostly in-context) what would DX8 and OGL 1.3 support do for this engine?  I'm not arguing that it's not something that'd be way cool (even more than cool), I'm just a gamer who fancies himself knowledgable about hardware and software....but really isn't.  (-:  What do DX8 and OGL 1.3 do (besides hardware T&L) above and beyond...DX5 (or whatever FS2's required DX version is)?

  --TurboNed


For this question it is best that someone that does have experience about FS2 source, like Avenger or Kazan answers.

But, support for latest DirectX and OpenGL can bring us many features that are used in latest games, for example:
-animated textures
-bump mapping
-T&L
-high-poly and high-res support

In short, those of us who have Voodoo 4/5, GeForce 2 (or newer), first generation Radeon or later or Kyro2 will get better graphics and atmosphere.

BUT! Coding a support for DX8 and OGL 1.3 is not a priority, there is much more important stuff to be done.

For example:
-fixing all remaining bugs of FS2/FRED2
-increasing .tbl file limitations
-more event-commands for FRED2
-more options to FRED2 (like selecting ships and going to "Misc" and then selecting beam-free)
-unfinished features of FS2/FRED2 will be finished
« Last Edit: April 27, 2002, 05:29:03 am by 173 »

 

Offline LtNarol

  • Biased Banshee
  • 211
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
about covering the source code changes on 2 forums: not everyone visits HLPBB, and not everyone visits vwBB, but many visit either one or the other.  This just makes it easier to get ideas across.

as for having multiple projects with source code, i'll say here what i said over on vwBB:

The more different engines we have based off of the fs2 engine the more confusing it gets; after a certain point, it also becomes a pain in the arse to download so many engines, because each will be (at a guess) about 20+mgs worth of engine and on top of which you have the game files itself.  If there were 4 engines, thats easily 100mgs of downloading for just 4 different mods.  

Also, it becomes increasingly difficult to keep track of which mod uses which engine.  Therefore, i feel that one new engine with patches released later as additional tinkering causes changes would be ideal.  Things would also get done a lot faster if we coordinated and had all the programmers working together instead of them being divided up into 3 or 4 different teams doing different engines.

just my view on this thing.

 

Offline CP5670

  • Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
  • 212
  • 142857
Yeah that is the case for me; I personally almost never visit the VWBB but come here several times a day, so it would be nice to have the stuff available in both places.

Quote
The more different engines we have based off of the fs2 engine the more confusing it gets; after a certain point, it also becomes a pain in the arse to download so many engines, because each will be (at a guess) about 20+mgs worth of engine and on top of which you have the game files itself. If there were 4 engines, thats easily 100mgs of downloading for just 4 different mods.


Actually if we are just building on top of the existing engine, it should not be too large; the default FS2 exe is only some 2.3mb. ;)

 

Offline Redfang

  • 28
Nice forum we have here. I hope some of you people can do much with that source code. :nod:
 
Also, I don't think that FS2 needs DX 8.0 or 8.1 support... more important things first. And I guess it isn't easy to make FS2 support DX8.x.
 
And we can already have quite big textures with the registry hack. :p

 

Offline Fury

  • The Curmudgeon
  • 213
Quote
Originally posted by Redfang

Also, I don't think that FS2 needs DX 8.0 or 8.1 support... more important things first. And I guess it isn't easy to make FS2 support DX8.x.
 
And we can already have quite big textures with the registry hack. :p


As I said, it is not a priority. But most likely it will be eventually done in the fullness of time.