Author Topic: Free Skies (The mod formerly known as Crimson Skies-ish)  (Read 149908 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
Re: Crimson Skies-ish mod?
Then nothing to worry about.

Well.... yes, getting model builders will be a major thing to worry about  :(
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
166m/s is manageable, pretty similar to FS AB speeds, which means a pretty easy transition :P

Models though :(
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I'd love to see such a mod!

I am atm a bit short on time ( reallife issues as well as modeling ships for FS CoDA) but i can a bit of everything except coding and music stuff.

This is a fighter i did some time ago for another game, which was inspired a bit by WWII planes and Star Wars ships. The Cockpit is just a placeholder, the final mesh has a Spitfire-ish cockpit layout, thx to newman and Brand-X
Would love to see something similar in the mod, if it gets launched.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:56:11 pm by Angelus »

well i for one would love to get involved with this! it would be great to start on a whole new original mod, instead of having to kinda jump in one

yall remember this fighter? the one that i designed off of crimson skies? i love making stuff like that lol :) this mod would be tons of fun.
-regards
 Spyder

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Can the FSO engine support gravity and basic lift? Frankly I'd support this mod if you can get gravity working...... cause I'd just snag it to use for some epic atmosphere missions of my own  :P

Well, I am a coder.....

If you make gravity work you will be forever enshrined and revered.

I took a quick shot at it recently...unfortunately, the way FS2 physics work makes it a real pain to try to apply arbitrary force vectors.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Let's wait for The Minbari Project to come out (16 October, if their trailer is to be belived).
It'll have more realistic physics, so it's possible that something could be done using their code.

Can the FSO engine support gravity and basic lift? Frankly I'd support this mod if you can get gravity working...... cause I'd just snag it to use for some epic atmosphere missions of my own  :P

Well, I am a coder.....

If you make gravity work you will be forever enshrined and revered.

I took a quick shot at it recently...unfortunately, the way FS2 physics work makes it a real pain to try to apply arbitrary force vectors.

Didn't Nuke already do this?

Offline -Sara-

Could be a nice mod!
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I had a hackish method for implementing localized "gravity" - but it got dropped from memory before anyone
bothered to try it I do believe.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=64090.msg1265864#msg1265864
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Détente!

1940something!  A generation ago, the botched attempt on Archduke Franz Ferdinand's life alerted the monarchies of Europe--powerful sociopolitical and economic forces were at work, and the vulnerability of the elite to the depredations of anarchists, communists, and anti-royalists posed a grave threat to the European way of life and, therefore, the world.  In an effort to preserve the delicate balance of power, a conference was held in Brussels to discuss a loosening of international tensions with an eye toward the preservation of existing power structures.  When Kaiser Wilhelm arrived at the conference in person aboard a spectacular airship, the course of history was set--the wealthy and powerful would take to the skies, with military and commercial interests soon to follow.

In the ensuing years, populist movements have indeed sprung up and taken hold in the countryside, but an improving quality of life stemming from technological advances and increased economic activity has undercut their power--the powerful need only secure small areas around their airfields to ensure that trade continues unabated, and commerce is king.  Nations still strive to weaken and gain leverage over their rivals, but must do so without risking being dragged down along with them.  Alliances shift rapidly, and with a steady stream of new aircraft from North America available to all buyers, no army can be put at too steep a technological disadvantage.  Nationalist propaganda ensures that new recruits are always ready to serve their countries in the regular air corpses, and working in the merchant fleets is a way out of poverty for many in the younger generation.  In addition, many pilots from other nations are employed as privateers for when matters need to be handled in a more indirect manner.  With trench warfare seen as a brutal and indecisive waste for all parties, the map of Europe has remained unchanged for over fifteen years, and all eyes are turned towards the heavens...

The Players:

Austria Hungary- Mozart in a Messerschmitt!
French Third Republic- Armed with je ne sais quoi!
German Empire- Kaiser Kickass and his Red Baron Brigade!
Kingdom of Italy- Voooooooooolaaaaaareeeeee!
Ottoman Empire- You won't be putting your feet up on these guys!
Poland- How could we forget Poland!
Russian Empire- Yes, the white variety!
United Kingdom- HMAS Hood!

And don't forget those neutral Nordic countries, or the Spanish, or North America, etc.  Lots of fun here with the plotting and the scheming and the dakka.

As for the mod, a couple generic fighters (say, a fast monoplane and a maneuverable biplane), maybe a stationary observation balloon and a freighter (Zeppelin) would be all you really needed to get the feel for the thing and hone the atmospheric engine to perfection, then you could build from there.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
That a good "alternate timeline" :3
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

haha well E , you should contact me so we can talk about his more indepth
-regards
 Spyder

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Détente!

1940something!  A generation ago, the botched attempt on Archduke Franz Ferdinand's life alerted the monarchies of Europe--powerful sociopolitical and economic forces were at work, and the vulnerability of the elite to the depredations of anarchists, communists, and anti-royalists posed a grave threat to the European way of life and, therefore, the world.  In an effort to preserve the delicate balance of power, a conference was held in Brussels to discuss a loosening of international tensions with an eye toward the preservation of existing power structures.  When Kaiser Wilhelm arrived at the conference in person aboard a spectacular airship, the course of history was set--the wealthy and powerful would take to the skies, with military and commercial interests soon to follow.

In the ensuing years, populist movements have indeed sprung up and taken hold in the countryside, but an improving quality of life stemming from technological advances and increased economic activity has undercut their power--the powerful need only secure small areas around their airfields to ensure that trade continues unabated, and commerce is king.  Nations still strive to weaken and gain leverage over their rivals, but must do so without risking being dragged down along with them.  Alliances shift rapidly, and with a steady stream of new aircraft from North America available to all buyers, no army can be put at too steep a technological disadvantage.  Nationalist propaganda ensures that new recruits are always ready to serve their countries in the regular air corpses, and working in the merchant fleets is a way out of poverty for many in the younger generation.  In addition, many pilots from other nations are employed as privateers for when matters need to be handled in a more indirect manner.  With trench warfare seen as a brutal and indecisive waste for all parties, the map of Europe has remained unchanged for over fifteen years, and all eyes are turned towards the heavens...

The Players:

Austria Hungary- Mozart in a Messerschmitt!
French Third Republic- Armed with je ne sais quoi!
German Empire- Kaiser Kickass and his Red Baron Brigade!
Kingdom of Italy- Voooooooooolaaaaaareeeeee!
Ottoman Empire- You won't be putting your feet up on these guys!
Poland- How could we forget Poland!
Russian Empire- Yes, the white variety!
United Kingdom- HMAS Hood!

And don't forget those neutral Nordic countries, or the Spanish, or North America, etc.  Lots of fun here with the plotting and the scheming and the dakka.

As for the mod, a couple generic fighters (say, a fast monoplane and a maneuverable biplane), maybe a stationary observation balloon and a freighter (Zeppelin) would be all you really needed to get the feel for the thing and hone the atmospheric engine to perfection, then you could build from there.

The dessicated remains of Otto von Bismarck serve as the symbolic core (and, some say, spiritual engine) of a titanic steam-driven humanoid leviathan that stalks the borders of Germany - Blood and Iron Man!

:nervous:

Für Deutschland!!!!!!!!!!!
-regards
 Spyder

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
The dessicated remains of Otto von Bismarck serve as the symbolic core (and, some say, spiritual engine) of a titanic steam-driven humanoid leviathan that stalks the borders of Germany - Blood and Iron Man!

So once again grammar fail leads to creative bonus.  I will draw the line at flying werewolves though, that's just silly.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

So once again grammar fail leads to creative bonus.  I will draw the line at flying werewolves though, that's just silly.

I actually don't think you should use this, I just wanted to describe Blood and Ironman.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band

I actually don't think you should use this, I just wanted to describe Blood and Ironman.
I'm just laying the groundwork to sue you later on when you strike it rich with my brilliant "Air Corpse" idea ;)

Anyway, we should try to find a couple game-worthy historic warbird models to test things out with.  I'd like to see the Sky Captain plane itself (it was a P-40)--are you (The E) thinking of using real planes or more fanciful stuff like in Crimson Skies or a combination?  Would you go for a classic film look with post processing or try to keep it more realistic?  Can props rotate quickly enough in the FS engine to look cool or will it have to be done with trickeration?  So much exciting stuff, and an attempt to write a new and highly useful physics into the engine to boot...I really hope you get some more people excited to help out with this :yes:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wow, never expected to see such a reaction

Okay, here's my plan for now.
Technology: Fighter planes can and should be taken from their real-life counterparts. Meaning you get Spitfires, Fw-190s, all the nice stuff that was available at the end of WW2. Jet planes are just starting to appear, for the moment, they are the stuff of wild rumours among pilots.
One major difference here is that physics work a bit different. In this Universe, there exists an eleme4nt that basically acts as a countergrav unit, similar to the Unobtainium that featured prominently in James Cameron's Avatar. This allows the construction of heavier-than-air Airships like the ones from Starslayer's concept art featured in the first post. For now, this element is extremely rare, so only states have access to vast quantities of it, and they use it to apply traditional naval doctrine to air combat vessels (In this universe, Pearl Harbor and WW2 never happened, so majestic Battleships are still a must for any self-respecting nation).
The more outlandish, Crimson Skies-like planes can exist as well, but I'd like to keep things simple for now.

Politics:
Damn you swashmebuckle! Get out of my head!
The feel is very frenetic. Everyone knows that the world is teetering on the edge of a second World War, as the grievances left behind by the first one are still left unresolved in the eyes of many. Extrapolate the feel of the 20s, and leave out the global economy meltdown. As you said, Alliances shift rapidly, as Europe is trying to find a new balance of power. America, meanwhile, tries its best to keep Europe unstable; In the wake of the collapse of the vast colonial empires (except for the Commonwealth, but we'll get to that later), they have vowed to spread independence wherever they can. Their strategy is to keep the Europeans busy with themselves, while they send aid, both economic and political, into the former colonies to help secure their independence.

Look and Feel of the mod:
As said before, Crimson Skies-ish. Combat is (by comparison to stock FS2) fast and frenetic, with the ground being a constant source of danger. Weapons used are primarily guns; While there are early guided missiles, they are still somewhat inaccurate, and the radar systems necessary are too big to be mounted on regular daytime fighters.
Musically, the kind of score you'd see in a swashbuckling movie, or Indiana Jones film.
Visual effects: Not certain yet. If we can get a sort of grainy black-and-white filter on there for cutscenes, that'll be great. Everything else should be left clean.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I have just read parts of this and that but from what I read it sounds like a pretty cool project is takeing shape.
Please continue...while I dig up my copy of Crimson Skies. I aspect that you have the mod done by the time I am through with the game yes? ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

First off I just gotta say, that first concept you've got going is FREAKIN SWEET! I wish I could draw like that.
Secondly, the idea for a mod that like that is FREAKING SWEET!

I would be interesting in helping with this kind of mod. Voice actor maybe? I'm still WAY too noobish at programming in C++ to make the code itself. I don't even know what language I would do this in even if I was a C++ programmer :P

3D Moddeling is also not my strong suite, as I'm still fresh off the bat on learning that as well (aka: still in tutorial mode)

If I get better and either of those, I will help. And if this mod does take off, then good luck ;)