Author Topic: Caprica is dead  (Read 14211 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No second season. Remaining episodes of first season moved to next year (seriously). Show over.

At least you've got a spare hour next week, right?

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
The King is dead, long live the King?

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
While that blood and chrome sounds cool, 3d? ugh...

Also, it's a shame about caprica. Taking a 6+ month break in the middle of a season was a stupid, stupid idea.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I didn't watch bsg for the character drama and existential stuff. i watched it to see dudes fight robots.  that new show looks pretty good.

I'm a very sad panda. It's feeling like Firefly all over again. Well, I guess Caprica had to get canceled to make room for more wrestling or something, right?

Here's hoping Blood & Chrome turns out to be something as complex as BSG and Caprica were, although I'm getting this sneaking suspicion that SyFy intends to go in a more action oriented direction, considering that the drama-centric Caprica didn't pull in the desired ratings.

More action is not bad when you have toasters getting blown to smithereens.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
“Unfortunately, despite its obvious quality, Caprica has not been able to build the audience necessary to justify a second season.”

Well if you will insist on sticking a huge break in the middle of the first ****ing season what the **** were you expecting?!
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

Well if you will insist on sticking a huge break in the middle of the first ****ing season what the **** were you expecting?!

The same thing everyone does. Treat it like crap and get rewarded for it with great ratings. Or in layman's terms, "something for nothing". Why use simple logic and reason when you got pie charts, anyway?
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's Excalibur all over again :(

Offline newman

The thing is, the concept for "Blood & Chrome" sounds rather expensive to produce to me. Higher production costs per episode means more risk - the moment ratings drop by just a bit they'll cancel it faster than you can say "Firefly".
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Too bad, they killed Caprica before it's time. Who's running the studio? Pinky and Brain?

While i'm happy to see a FCW show, it might render my FCW script unusable.   
I sense, some serious rewriting is going to be necessary.  :sigh:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Caprica was never going to make it on television. As I said in another topic, the story should have been told as a book(s). It would have suited the medium much better.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I dunno, I'm not sold on that. The Sopranos was a novel of sorts. If they'd played it as, well, The Sopranos in space with robots, I coulda seen it going the distance. Or The Wire in space.

I really think it coulda been a contenda.

Well there's still Blood and Chrome to look foreword too. I think just the webisodes are going to be 3d.Im sure they'll rebuild the set by the time they get the mini series and then the show itself. Because whats going to happen is first there's going to be webisodes which will lead up to a mini series which will most likely be a pilot for an actual series. And seeing classic Cylon Basestars going up against the Galactica will certainly be awesome! We only got a taste of it in Razor.

Forgot to mention something else. The last 5 episodes are being postponed till
 2011.I guess to rewrite them as lead ups to BandC.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 06:23:44 pm by FreespacePilot2010 »

Offline eldain

lets just hope they introduce a decent art-house (did anyone mention zoic?) for B&C.
that would surely provide a good action-packed show

---pencils are not only for picking my nose---

Offline newman

I seriously doubt they'll hire Zoic again after they fired it mid-BSG and created their own inhouse team. Sure, you can hope, but it's really not likely at all.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
I've never been an avid fan of Caprica. Unlike some of you, I DID watch BSG for the human element as well as for the sci-fi element. They worked really well together and made BSG the best show eva.

Caprica lacked the latter, and poorly presented the former. The human stories are generally uninteresting at times. I don't care about Clerice, or Lacy, or Amanda. I wouldn't have stayed on this long if the show wasn't a BSG spin-off.

That being said

What the hell does SyFy think they're clearing room for? SyFy's lineup is a load of crap 'horror' (non science fiction) movies and now wrestling. Is this even a Sci-Fi chanel anymore, or has it sold out its very purpose in order to attract viewers? Caprica was by no stretch of the imagination a show on par with BSG, but it's still far above most of SyFy's usual programming.

Maybe if they aired some BSG re-runs they could gather more interest for the hsow. All you really need is the BSG pilot, and that's just for background information.

To me it feels like Syfy railroaded this show through exploitation. Was the so called 'mid season' break necessary? Absolutely not. Syfy thought they could pull another BSG season x.5 maneuver on us. Then there's these STUPID ads they have running for the show. "THE CHILDREN OF HUMANITY SHALL RISE UP!!!!!!" What the hell does that mean? It sounds so frakking fake.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline newman

They're trying for a BSG spin off based on the 1st Cylon War next, which, if successful, should be pretty cool. Caprica never stood a chance; first they had the DVD release way before the pilot was aired. Then, in all their wisdom, they thought an almost a year long mid season break was a good idea. And after all that they decided to be surprised by the lower than expected ratings and cancel it. With that sort of treatment it's a wonder they didn't Firefly it and kill it mid-season.

Locutus of Borg Not to mention all the wrestling which has nothing to do with scifi.Now id understand if the wrestlers dressed up as scifi characters like Darth Vader and old Cylons but having a wrestling show on scifi makes about as much sense as having a cooking show.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Locutus of Borg Not to mention all the wrestling which has nothing to do with scifi.Now id understand if the wrestlers dressed up as scifi characters like Darth Vader and old Cylons but having a wrestling show on scifi makes about as much sense as having a cooking show.

don't give them ideas.