Author Topic: Feather 2 Development Log  (Read 11572 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Feather 2 Development Log
After a multitude of rough sketches, incomplete formal ones (which are now obsolete), and many, many attempts at getting a drawing of the rear fuselage just right, I finally figured that the best way to get it right was to make a model... And thus we begin.

I am not certain if this model will be selected for use in our project upon its completion, but until otherwise directed I will continue to progress upon it with the utmost of my skill. That said, I'll keep this place open to our team to log the progress being made on a scratch-build Feather 2, which will ideally be the last one we'll need or want. Given our track record, that's not a guarantee, but if nothing else it is good practice.

This was the primitive form of the model first demonstrated to Quanto - there's not much there, as you can see. The current plan is to rely on the approved revision of the lateral profile of the Feather 2 with appropriate deviations to the dorsal profile as seen in the 32X version of the game. Of course, that was just after a few minutes of work...

This was the intermediate phase of the model up until now. After being bothered by areas I couldn't get smoothed just right, the detail was increased so I could get the aft fuselage at least closer to what was intended. During class today, I came to the realization that this is just too much to work with at this stage in the model...

The sloution? DESTROY IT! Or, some of the edge loops at least. Remarkably, the model actually looks better when it lost some of the detail. However, I should note that the current form would not be possible if not for the earlier iteration of the model, which assisted me in getting some of the shape detail where it needed to be. It just goes to show that even when you omit several loops, the detail can still stick around.

That said, I'll wait a few days before posting another update unless otherwise prompted. I can also upload some of my rough drawings if you really need me to as well.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:12:37 am by Quanto »
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Feather 2 Development Log
I like that general outline. Classy and minimalist.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
By the time it's done, it won't be so minimalist... but it will, God willing, be ever so classy.

:pimp:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well don't go too far into greebleland. The SAFSO art style as a whole seems classy and minimalist.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

I've done a few models for our project already. I'll note those were more detailed than was desired for in-game usage, but the style was more than appropriate. I assure you that between Quanto and I, this model will be be appropriately detailed for use within Stellar Assault.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ease up. You're going to have cardiac problems if you read my ever post as a biting criticism. It's a good model, moving in the right direction, and I didn't want you to take my minimalist remark as a bad thing. I think it's exactly what you should shoot for.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Righto Quanto, for the past few days I've had some "modeler's block," namely when it comes down to the details under the fuselage. I tried to get a hold of you over Skype on the weekend to discuss this and any collaboration we might attempt to speed up the modeling process, but you were not to be found. Given that you have the model dump and analysis that I sent to you a while back, you're not too far behind where I'm at right now. That said, I'm not at all opposed to passing the fighter back and fourth between us until it gets done.

That said, I do have a good idea for what I want to do with the fuselage unserside. However, I think a major issue is that I've not been taking enough time to adress making accurate, reliable drawings of this region on the hull. Once I have all the details worked out on paper accurately, it ought to be simple enough to model the area in question. Once all aspects of the general shape are completed, adding more precise details ought to be child's play.

In terms of projected project length, I assume this one will take a maximum amount of time around three weeks; thus, the Fe-2 ideally will be complete about two weeks from now. Given any unforseen dilemmas, complications, etc., the figher should be done before the end of November. Again, this assumes no... real academic or possible employment complications. In which, the former is a guarantee and the latter would be welcomed. Just so you know...

Now, for everyone else...

I meant to post a log last week discussing the re-scaling up to the current size of the fighter, which is now 21 meters. As you can see, in terms of size with everything else (most importantly the new Fe-1, just to the right of the new Fe-2 candidate), it's a bit too small. Of course, you can fit a 2m-tall pilot in either cockpit of the new Feather 2, and 21 meters is still huge...

Of course, it's still not large enough for our purposes. Here's an alternate view from the top of the 3D window, showing the current size of our most recent iterations of the Feathers. I'm hoping that scaling the main hull up to 25m will be sufficeint while the cockpits of the fighters won't be too large afterwards.

And here's the last shot from the set, which details some of the lower fuselage geometry which I just can't quite master right now. I think you'll agree that when this one is done, you'll have a wicked looking fighter on your hands.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I really like the ship's general outline as it stands now; it's clean, iconic and visually accessible. Obviously it's going to get more detail on the hull proper, but I'd actually encourage you not to break up the outline too much with any kind of fins or wingaling deals.

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Well, its gonna have the energy wings and fins like the older one has, regardless.

But I too like the direction it's going atm. It maybe needs to be slightly wider
and a little longer
but beyond that, its a good direction Thaeris is heading.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Aw.  :(

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Behold! A mini-log!

Again, should there be interest, I can whip out a plethora of preliminary and development sketches, but that's only if you like chicken scratch. Otherwise, there's this, which despite being quite rough itself shows a better picture of what I'm aiming for from most angles:

I realize the downward sweep on the nose is a bit over-accentuated here, but that's of little concern. This is primarily for my own perception of what to work out next, as well as for Quanto, should he decide to step in and collaborate with this one.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
General scale issues aside, I do want some input on your perceptions of what you've seen so far of the proposed underside details of the Feather 2, Quanto. The design seen in the rough diagram above is related to this earlier sketch from my notebook, which you've no doubt seen before. Refer to the lower left-hand corner; this is an earlier concept for the underside of the Fe-2:

I want to get this detail hammered out pretty soon, as I'd like to get this lady out the door. As such, I'd appreciate any input you might have on the matter.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Any hold-up details have been... hopefully... resolved in conference.

That said, the primitive model of the Feather 2 is at a point where it's accurate enough to start developing the model and sorting out the details. Granted, I'll have a busy week ahead, but I'd like to have a lot of the fuselage and main hull detail resolved by the conclusion of this week. The lass is growing fierce:

:cool:

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Time for yet another log! Logs are fun!

:nervous:

Regardless, I've encountered yet another design hold up, if only temporary. First, however, let's start with some numbers...

The current Feather 2 is about 13.9 meters long, if one includes the wings. The prior Feather 2 was 21-something meters in length - 21.1 approximately. Upon scaling the Fe-2 up by 20 percent, a new length just a little over 25.3 meters is reached. If we divide the length of the proposed Fe-2 by that of the current Fe-1, we get a number representing a size ratio. For the "new" fighters, this is approximately 1.82.

If we do a comparison with the older models (the Fe-1 v.3 and the current Fe-2), this ratio is 1.86 if the gun of the Feather 2 is not accounted for.

I will state that I'm well pleased by the current length of the Feather 2, and I do not intend on changing it any further, at least as far as the main hull is concerned. As you can see, the older model is a bit bigger in relative terms, but only by a marginal factor. From the side, the new proportions look good to me:

The problem then is width, which I was hoping to be adequate. Unfortunately, that might not be the case, as you were pointing out earlier. On its own, it looks fine from the top and the front. However, the engines are not quite as impressive from the rear, and when the Fe-1 is brought into the scene, it does start to look a little underwhelming. As a whole, when it's done, the new Fe-2 should have a smaller target profile than the current Feather 2, which should help better suit the surprising agility of the big fighter... However, for the time being she might be just a bit narrow:

That aside, she's coming along well as a whole.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Should you be hankering for a status report, this is what I've got:

Between classes and a some small attention to a project on the side, the Feather 2 has been on hold. Granted that next week is almost completely open, progress should resume fully then. Projected completion date still lies by the end of November.

Given my last conversation with Quanto, the width issue of the Fe-2 has been resolved, and the fighter will remain within the current lateral proportions. I'll also see about modifying the canopies to increase their volumes when the time is right.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Quanto, you might be a bit peeved that I post this now, but if you've not yet started on what I've given you of the Feather 2, you might wait a day or two more... I've finished the empty cockpit volume/rudimentary cockpit area, and I've also finished the wings with the exception of the tail area. Furthermore, though you may not be a fan of my low-profile cockpits, I will finish them and place them properly - this should at least give you a useful base to work with. You might note how much better just re-shaping the rear cockpit canopy looks in comparison to what was there before...

...And to finish, a scale comparison:

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The semester is winding down, and I've been very busy. After the upcoming week however, I should have an open window to work on a few things once more - well, under ideal conditions at least. I'll stack on top of that the wishes of the project lead to assume the completion of this fighter as well, should that be the case.

That said, until more worthwhile news or commentary is posted in this pit, I shall leave you with this SLIGHTLY MORE OPERATIONAL SPACE-FIGHTER-THING...

...Ahem...

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
<3

Simply Glorious, Can I UV nao?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 09:41:20 am by Quanto »
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Well, we've been over this a few times before. There's a few issues that I'd like to resolve or details to mature further, but I'd need more time to do that. That said, I'll be happy to hand it over, but it's then up to you, good sir. Not at all as if I have any doubts, it's just the OCD kicking in.  ;)

An attachment is provided below. Because I'm paranoid, the file is encrypted. Check your inbox on the forums - the key will be there.

[attachment deleted by admin]

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
That's pretty good, can I see a view straight from the front? Thanks.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL