Author Topic: Game does not detect joystick inputs  (Read 17244 times)

Offline Rhainor

• Blargh.
Game does not detect joystick inputs
Hi, I'm new.  :P

I installed TBP yesterday, and poked around in it a bit.  The default controls function properly, but the main reason I got interested in FS2 and its mods was for something I could use my joystick for, and the game does not seem to detect any joystick inputs -- which means that, before I even get into the cockpit with it, I can't even bind controls to the stick.

For reference, I'm using a Saitek X52.  My computer is running Windows 7 x64.

Help, please!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Game does not detect joystick inputs
X52 definitely works with FSO. However I don't use a stick so I can't help you. Hopefully somebody will be along shortly.

Offline Rhainor

• Blargh.
Yeah, I've seen posts from other people talking about using the X52 with FSO/TBP, and it seemed to be working fine for everyone (aside from the occasional oversight on the user's part).  That's what has me confused.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Make sure you have the joystick selected in the Launcher (should be a tab for it).

Offline Rhainor

• Blargh.
Make sure you have the joystick selected in the Launcher (should be a tab for it).
Yep.  "Audio/Joystick".  Joystick selection pulldown is set to "Saitek X52 Flight Controller".  Game does not detect joystick or throttle movement (which is the main part I'm worried about; the buttons can be profile'd).

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Can you describe the method you are attempting to bind the axes to appropriate controls? I'm just asking this to eliminate problems.

Just clicking on a control isn't enough; you have to either click "Bind" button on the top row of the interface, or double-click the control, then move the joystick controls.

If that's not working...

Can you confirm axis controls movement in the Control Panel, or in another game? Or, in general, to check that the axes are actually working.

Do you have the drivers for the stick installed? Can you rule out driver corruption?

If the controller works on other games and on the Control Panel, I can only think of some weird controller ID problem that makes the game expect control inputs from another ID, but you say you can bind buttons to the controls...

Are you using any profiles? Do the controls bind themselves as "Button0", "Button1" etc. or does it assign keys to them?

You could try connecting the controller to another USB port.

If none of these works... things become more complicated. Hope you get things working, I'm using Win7 x64 with Saitek X52 (the non-pro, blue version) and it works without problems (well, excluding the controller's own quirks but those aren't functionally debilitating like your issues).
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Rhainor

• Blargh.
Can you describe the method you are attempting to bind the axes to appropriate controls? I'm just asking this to eliminate problems.

Just clicking on a control isn't enough; you have to either click "Bind" button on the top row of the interface, or double-click the control, then move the joystick controls.
Yup.  Double-click, say, "Turn left", it goes into binding mode; move stick to the left, no response from game.  Just sits there in binding mode.

Quote from: Herra Tohtori
If that's not working...

Can you confirm axis controls movement in the Control Panel, or in another game? Or, in general, to check that the axes are actually working.

Do you have the drivers for the stick installed? Can you rule out driver corruption?
Control panel calibration works flawlessly.  I haven't tried it in another game in ages (most of my games don't use a stick), but perhaps this is a good reason to fire up Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries...  :P

If the controller works on other games and on the Control Panel, I can only think of some weird controller ID problem that makes the game expect control inputs from another ID, but you say you can bind buttons to the controls...
I haven't tried binding buttons.  If I can bind the axes, I'm not concerned with the buttons, since I can use the SD6 profiling software to map the joystick buttons to the pre-bound keyboard buttons.

Are you using any profiles? Do the controls bind themselves as "Button0", "Button1" etc. or does it assign keys to them?
I've tried both with no profile active, and with a brand-new, *blank* profile active.  No change.

You could try connecting the controller to another USB port.
Unlikely cause, but I'll give it a shot.

If none of these works... things become more complicated. Hope you get things working, I'm using Win7 x64 with Saitek X52 (the non-pro, blue version) and it works without problems (well, excluding the controller's own quirks but those aren't functionally debilitating like your issues).
Yeah, mine's not the Pro either (kinda want the Pro, though; the return-to-center tension on this one is weaker than I'd like).

Thanks for the help.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Okay.

Choose debug build (denoted with letter "d" instead of "r" of the regular/release builds) with the launcher, start the game, then quit. Then, navigate to ..\FreeSpace2\data\fs2_open.log and post that here within code tags, or as a post attachement.

That'll tell us if the game actually claims it recognizes the joystick, or not.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Rhainor

• Blargh.
Okay.

Choose debug build (denoted with letter "d" instead of "r" of the regular/release builds) with the launcher, start the game, then quit. Then, navigate to ..\FreeSpace2\data\fs2_open.log and post that here within code tags, or as a post attachement.

That'll tell us if the game actually claims it recognizes the joystick, or not.
Well, before it even gets into the game, I get a bunch of these popping up:

Code: [Select]
Warning: Too many ship classes before 'Babylon 4 (S1)'; maximum is 130, so only the first 130 will be used
File:D:\C++\Freespace\fs2_open 3.6.9 - BtRL\code\ship\Ship.cpp
Line: 2884
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    ‹()    ‹()    ‹()    ‹()    ‹()    ‹()    ‹()    kernel32.dll 76033677()
    ntdll.dll 77099d42()
    ntdll.dll 77099d15()
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You need to use an Inferno build.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To be more precise, you need to use the Zathras mod. I believe a .12 engine build is packaged with it. Go here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=71789.0 read the instructions, and have 400% more fun due to several hundred fewer bugs.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rhainor

• Blargh.
You need to use an Inferno build.
No change.

To be more precise, you need to use the Zathras mod. I believe a .12 engine build is packaged with it. Go here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=71789.0 read the instructions, and have 400% more fun due to several hundred fewer bugs.
Downloaded .12 build, new launcher, and Zathras mod.  Now the X52 is not even shown in the launcher's list of available joysticks.  Only options are "No joystick" and "Microsoft PC-joystick driver".

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Then that's the one you should use.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rhainor

• Blargh.
Then that's the one you should use.
Tried setting to "Microsoft PC-joystick driver".  No change.

Had the same prob on my Saitek, had to download the latest drivers. I had them before, but somehow the drivers had a rollback to the original boxed drivers. But works fine now :)

Offline Rhainor

• Blargh.
Where did you get the new drivers from?

I see the x52 Pro listed on Saitek.com, but not the basic x52; are the drivers the same?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
http://saitek.co.uk/uk/down/drivers.php

Select product range "Joysticks" in the right field.

That'll put the regular X52 on the second selection list below the first.

Also, Rhainor, you really should get that debug log posted, because that could tell us if the selection made in the Launcher is passed through to the actual game executable itself. Vista/7 UAC can be an utter ***** with some games that require access to registry to save settings, so post the debug log; we'll need that to narrow down the cause of the problem.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 01:50:41 am by Herra Tohtori »

Offline Rhainor

• Blargh.
Sorry this took so damn long.  Got horribly distracted by RL and other games (happens a lot with me).

Here's the log (see attachment).

That's with freshly-updated drivers (per Herra's link), with Zathras mod, and the SSE binary.

[attachment deleted by admin]