Author Topic: Respawning as wingmen  (Read 9535 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yes, that's fair enough. You may remember I did do that with The Blade Itself, involving one very good Beta Wing. ;)

Offline FelixJim

• User 11092
This idea would be useful if one wanted to make a kamikaze mission.
In-Mission Techroom Script v0.4 - See information from the techroom in game
Simple Animation Script v0.2 - Make your own on-screen animations for FSO
Visible Waypoints Script - Makes waypoints visible in-game
Run From File Script - Get around the pesky 31 character limit for script-eval

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Hmm, but kamikaze missions aren't really that hard in Freespace, where actually flying the ship is easy and all you have to do is point and afterburn. I guess you could make it interesting with walls of flak and whatever, but I still think kamikaze missions are a bit boring in the end.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Well, this is kind of off topic but sometimes getting from point A to point B under fire can be quite tough. Flak guns, persuing fighters, missiles to dodge... You have a ship you must bring down at 800 health and you only have say 10 ships which do 100 dammage each on impact. You need to bring 8/10 to their targets before they get destroyed. I think It could be a lot of fun. Just depends on how you go about doing it.

I really like this thread's overall idea though. The first rainbow six on PC was set up this way where you had a squad of say six or so guys and had to complete a mission using that squad. Storm a house, save a hostage etc. You controlled one character at a time and the rest followed a plan you setup for them (AI pathing). In essence you were the squad, and the entire unit was at your disposal leaving you with more options that any single individual squadmember could have given. It's a different way to approach a mission when you have more assets/options at your disposal. It's certainly something to look at for anyone who is trying to turn out something a little more unique.   
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline FelixJim

• User 11092
You could always think of some strangled rational to have weak-hulled, poor manoeuvrability kamikaze fighters too if you wanted. Or twisting, winding corridors (think something similar to Vassago's Dirge, that mission in the spacesuit) where brushing against walls might prematurely explode your payload. At least the idea would be there to play around with, I'm sure someone could come up with something.
In-Mission Techroom Script v0.4 - See information from the techroom in game
Simple Animation Script v0.2 - Make your own on-screen animations for FSO
Visible Waypoints Script - Makes waypoints visible in-game
Run From File Script - Get around the pesky 31 character limit for script-eval

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I was going to post this earlier in response to one of S-99's comments, but figured it wasn't necessay. I might have been wrong, despite the fact that I find it to be fairly obvious...

Different gameplay types will employ different feature sets. As such, respawning as wingmen may in fact be an invaluable asset to certain mods or TCs. To illustrate, consider another Nordera campaign for WoD - the objective of the campaign may simply be to get the group as a whole to succeed rather than the individual. Again, to those that would dismiss a request for this feature, different gamplay types will require different feature sets. In that regard, this in not at all a poor request.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I believe it can be done right now. The only hangup I see is transferring orientation. Other than that, should be easy.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't know how to say this any more clearly. This can be done using existing functions in the engine. There's no need to add features that already exist.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Yes, point taken.  :)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I think they want it to be a checkbox in mission specs so they don't have to do any work.  :nervous:

Which would be a lot slicker. I still don't see a way to transfer orientation...barring a huge amount of checks on invisible nav buoys...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Optimized features are always great, especially for those of us who are quite green with FRED. Optimized features ideally always work properly as well, and could ideally be streamlined for performance... of course, that's why they're optimized.

Forgive any redundancy as seen above, but in light of several recent feature requests which could be, despite not being ideal for whatever reason,  produced with existing code, could we do something like this: produce pre-compiled code blocks for FRED akin to .h files in C++? Even if just an interm measure for certain code features which ought to have their own dedicated SEXPs or scripts, these portable "header" files could be written and saved in FRED, each containing all the necessary operations for the given feature. Of course, all of those features are already available to FRED, but now they've been packed into a code block which can be saved, easily moved around, and shared with the community much more effectively. Until the replicated feature gets its own dedicated operator (or even needs one), this might be a very useful tool for cutting down on development time.

Last, this was off-topic, but I thought it might be a useful suggestion.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Anything simple enough to be portable in a code block like that is also likely simple enough that you should just know how to do it. FRED is really, really easy. Conversely, anything complex enough to justify the code block is unfortunately probably tied to a number of variables and specifics of the mission that aren't easily portable.

I could go for a FRED library, but it'd probably need to consist of examples and instructions to replicate, not copy-paste blocks. I may look into that.

The problem with what you describe as optimized features - in this case a checkbox in mission specs - is that they often take control away from the designer. For example, say you want to specify a certain list of ships as possible backups to swap into; you'd need to be able to assign them as arguments, and maybe even modify them on the fly. A new SEXP (set-respawn-ships or something) would be a better way to handle it.

Although on second thought maybe that's exactly what you meant.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:46:47 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
edited

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I pretty much agree with your sentiments, and I'd say our thoughts on the matter seem to be mostly in-line. Being an experienced FREDer yourself, I'll trust your take on the technical elements of the editor.

:)

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I believe it can be done right now. The only hangup I see is transferring orientation. Other than that, should be easy.

That was the only issue I had with it when I tried. And I doubt adding SEXPs to allow you to get and set rotation would be that hard to do (at least for someone who understands that stuff, I don't but for someone who does it's probably only a few minutes coding time).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Speaking as someone who does know that stuff, it would be pretty easy.  The more salient problem is: how do you save orientation information?  The sexp system doesn't allow matrixes or floating-point numbers to be used as return values.  Degrees is an option, but is one degree sufficient resolution for this type of thing?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, honestly, I think it is.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep. In cases where you'd use this we're talking about making it so that the player doesn't notice a ship A do a 180 turn between his ship blowing up and getting respawned as Ship A.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay, I've added orientation sexps in revision 6915.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
holy **** whoa