Author Topic: Respawning as wingmen  (Read 9536 times)

Offline Kusanagi

• A man, a van, a plan, Vanama!
  • Enemy vessel captured
Out of curiosity, what WOULD be the way to do it with existing functions?

Expand on this though, if you will...

Instead of having a player take over another ship on death, being able to hotswap in the middle of a mission. With something like that, instead of equipping your wingmate's ships in the mission loadout, you'd instead be equipping and selecting another ship or two or three to choose from.

I had asked Battuta about this because it seemed like a great idea for Journey to Hiigara.
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum
primum daemon scelestus est.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That would be an interesting feature to have, this way you could equip a few ships for various roles, like squadmates in ArmA II.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm conferencing how to do it with Kusanagi on IRC right about now

course you could just use menu presses

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
It may be easier to do it with scripts, Battuta, especially in the newest nightly builds. Fortunately zookeeper told me the syntax of the runSEXP command and how to input strings into it, meaning that if you can't change the ship class and weapons in FRED, you can certainly do the calculations in the scripting and just kick back the necessary inputs to FRED to change-ship-class and set-primary-weapon and set-secondary-weapon for all the banks.

That could actually make things much simpler.
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
But...you can change the ship and weapon class in FRED.  :wtf:

I have no skill with scripting so do it that way if you like. My instinct is generally to do everything in FRED because that way it's all in one mission and generally doesn't cause random crashes the way scripts can.

Though I can't believe FRED didn't have divide by zero protection until I divided by zero and The_E added some.

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
Ahh yes, the bughunt from hell!

I know you can do it in FRED with many recursive arguments. For what I was talking about though (changing ships in mission from ones you previously loaded out) scripting may be easier so you don't have to input everything.

Plus, if you go back and change the tables, you have to go back and change every argument in FRED.
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
But why don't you just have a menu in the mission where you can swap your weapons out for something else? Like when you're near the support frigate?

Why bother using the alpha 2/3/4 kludge?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
To limit the amount of different loadouts you can switch between to say, four picked at the beginning of the mission?
Donno.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
To limit the amount of different loadouts you can switch between to say, four picked at the beginning of the mission?
Donno.

This would be the main reason. Otherwise you might as well use the cheats and ~9 :P

Imagine a mission where the enemies send a few waves of bombers at a ship you're trying to defend. You could choose either an interceptor or a space superiority fighter to wipe them out. Then the main fleet comes in to finish you off. You could switch to two different bombers, one loaded with stilletos and one loaded with Cyclops's.
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well then why not have a few options on the menu, like say 'interceptor', 'space superiority fighter', 'stiletto bomber' or 'cyclops bomber'?

Same deal.

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
Well then why not have a few options on the menu, like say 'interceptor', 'space superiority fighter', 'stiletto bomber' or 'cyclops bomber'?

Same deal.

The idea for the mockup would be this when drawn out:

Code: [Select]
      SELECT NEW SHIP TO PILOT

1)  GTF Ulysses 2)  GTB Medusa 3)  GTF Perseus 4)  Reload and Repair 
Guns: Subach HL-7 Guns: Prometheus R Guns: Subach HL-7 Current Ship
Prometheus S Subach HL-7

MSSL: Harpoon MSSL: Cyclops MSSL:   Stilleto II
Cyclops Harpoon
Tempest

EDIT: It looked good in notepad...

The main thing would be to store whatever you put in the four craft to begin with. That way the list displays showing what the weapons you picked out in the mission loadout area when you dock with the carrier, support ship, drydock, frigate, etc.

Something that would have been awesome on the final mission of WiH btw :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 04:51:10 pm by Kusanagi »
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Looks good to me, you could either do a custom HUD gauge or just do it via training message if you cut out the info/loadout clutter.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Yep. In cases where you'd use this we're talking about making it so that the player doesn't notice a ship A do a 180 turn between his ship blowing up and getting respawned as Ship A.

I'd just like to state, for the record, that your odds of this are slim to none anyways. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The odds of noticing are petty small. Which is why I said that I'd actually achieved this years ago. That said, I'd rather be able to prevent it happening at all rather than just hoping. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]