Author Topic: Consoles vs. PC (split from Gaming heaven vs hell)  (Read 5638 times)

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Re: Consoles vs. PC (split from Gaming heaven vs hell)
both have advantages, but the console's greatest strength (simplicity) is also its greatest weakness.

If you prefer complexity (depth) then PC's are better, and if you want simple fun time, then consoles are better.

that's how I see it.

Show me a good PC Jump'n'Run. There are a few genres where the PC is king, in other, Consoles reign supreme (Due to the fact that they come with standardized joypads that games can be tailored to, which is a luxury the PC doesn't have). And no, Mouse + KB is not always the best control option available.

But it is for FPS games. Why do you think all console games have Auto Aim while the PC versions do not?

both have advantages, but the console's greatest strength (simplicity) is also its greatest weakness.

If you prefer complexity (depth) then PC's are better, and if you want simple fun time, then consoles are better.

that's how I see it.

Me too.

Still, I don't get the 'Console/pc exclusive' thing in some cases. Many games that run on a console (Halo, Gran Tourismo < Yealous at a girl I know for having a PS3 and thus having the potential to buy this game) ) could run easily on a PC, and many PC games could run easily on console.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:52:26 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
They don't all have auto-aim, and if they do, I turn it off.

Keyboard and mouse with an FPS is so jittery it breaks the immersion for me on computer.

They don't all have auto-aim, and if they do, I turn it off.

Keyboard and mouse with an FPS is so jittery it breaks the immersion for me on computer.

Console controllers are so blunt that it breaks immersion for me.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Up the sensitivity. :P

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Wait hold on, how the hell is a keyboard and mouse or a console controller immersive? :P

Last time I checked neither exactly simulate real life. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
They are different kinds of machines though, I quite enjoyed playing Railshooters on the Wii with the Zapper whilst in front of the TV downstairs, but I'd feel silly doing that in front of my monitor, and doing so would be difficult because my monitor is on a desk much closer to me than the TV would be, but in the other direction, I'd much rather play RTS and City Builders on a Computer with a mouse and keyboard than try to arse around with a Playstation controller or the like for it.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Gaming heaven = the P.C
Gaming hell = consoles

A quick reminder

Boooooo!!!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Kolgena

The way I see it, you can make a PC do anything a console does, if it weren't for console-locked titles (usually to deter piracy, but often because it's too hard; see Uncharted 2). You want a controller? Buy one with a USB plug. You can even get flight joysticks and steering wheels. You want to run 4-way split screen? How about >4-way LAN? You like Wiimotes? It's already hacked to work on PC.

PS3 might eventually become the exception, since its hardware is so radically different (and is technically superior to any computer setup that exists right now, if only developers could figure out how to use it properly), but for now, the main restriction is what games are available for what systems. For general gaming, use a PC. If you really like certain titles (Halo Reach or something), get the console for it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
PS3 might eventually become the exception, since its hardware is so radically different (and is technically superior to any computer setup that exists right now, if only developers could figure out how to use it properly)

This is kind of an enduring myth. The PS3 has some weird bottlenecks, and while it can pull off some good stuff, it's not wildly out there.

PS3 might eventually become the exception, since its hardware is so radically different (and is technically superior to any computer setup that exists right now, if only developers could figure out how to use it properly)

This is kind of an enduring myth. The PS3 has some weird bottlenecks, and while it can pull off some good stuff, it's not wildly out there.

The PS3 had already been antique-ified before it came out due to the release of Nvidia's 8800s :D.

(Or that is what Nvidia said anyway :P)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
by the time any console hits the shelf its already obsolete. the 360 was way more powerful than any previous console was in relation to what pc hardware was available at the time. it has 1/16th of the memory and one less core than my computer. my video card alone has twice the memory as the entire system. also you have the fact that the specs on the 360 are fixed and the specs on the average pc are always increasing.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
yeah, but when many games are developed for the 360 hardware, well, its power doesn't really matter.
hell, the sequels to crysis and STALKER, and batttlefield3 are going mulitplatform.
still, the PC versions of these game *should* be a *little* better in visuals and controls. (and in BF's case, more players online, if BC2 is an indicator(but better have double players on PC))

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
still, the PC versions of these game *should* be a *little* better in visuals and controls. (and in BF's case, more players online, if BC2 is an indicator(but better have double players on PC))

Problem is, these games have been dumbed down. Them being a little better on the PC is like saying that fine wine trickled through a sewer has had a little extra spice added once it's been scooped up. The setting in Crysis 2 (linear, city-based) allows consoles to be able to handle the engine. Without making it a linear shooter, the consoles just would not run it. Other than that, they've also cut the suit modes down to two - predator and warrior or something stupid like that. "Streamlining" they call it. Basically, any game that is multiplatform is defined by the consoles in major ways, like graphics, gameplay and setting, and in my eyes, not worth getting. Metro 2033 is an exception to that rule, though. It had graphics that supplemented the gameplay perfectly by adding extra immersion.

AVP is an exception to that. You know, the new one. They boasted of DX11, tesselation, etc, but ultimately the game failed miserably gameplay-wise. No crouch, forced auto-aim, quicktime events, automated gameplay(press x to kill opponent), and what I think was like 4 levels in multiplayer, with a few more being available if you payed for it. Oh, and P2P servers lolololololol.
It's sad to see stuff like this from developers who USED to make good games. The consoles have really poisoned the market.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You want to run 4-way split screen? How about >4-way LAN?
How are those two situations in any way comparable?  People sitting in front of separate monitors, possibly in different rooms, is a completely different experience than a few friends huddled in front of the same TV, throwing down all sorts of smack-talk (and possibly the occasional bit of physical violence).  For my money, at least, split-screen multiplayer is the far more enjoyable atmosphere, and I'll never understand why so few PC titles have implemented it.  And on a related note, how many people out there actually have four gaming-caliber PCs at their disposal to LAN on?

As far as the raw power of console hardware goes, I feel like programming in that sort of environment can create certain benefits just by the closed nature of the system.  Anyone who's played PC games within the last five years or so knows that there's a ton of optimization that simply isn't happening...game developers as a whole seem to have eschewed tweaking and fine-tuning in lieu of throwing more RAM and beefier video cards at an engine until its flaws aren't nearly as apparent.  When you're instead limited to a fixed slate of hardware, like in the 360 or PS3, you're forced to make as many of those optimizations as possible, so that your game can maintain a smooth framerate at 1080p.  In fact, it's usually only near the end of consoles' lifespans that their true potential becomes realized, as the developers who have been working on them over the years have learned to push the hardware to the absolute limit.

And again, as I've said many times in the past in topics like this...if you've never played even a small sampling of console titles, you've missed out on the majority of the best gaming franchises ever developed.  The bottom line for me is that a true gamer recognizes a great game no matter what platform it's on, and enjoys it accordingly.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
IMO the future of PC gaming isn't in high end graphics. Consoles simply win that war through and through. Yes you can get better results on a PC, but you PAY for those results by a factor of 10 ($300 vs a $3,000 ultra high end PC).

The future of PC gaming is in innovative titles that can run on any machine - Minecraft, for example. That's the power of PC's - even if you don't have a console, you DO have a computer.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I share Mongoose's viewpoint for the most part.
People sitting in front of separate monitors, possibly in different rooms, is a completely different experience than a few friends huddled in front of the same TV, throwing down all sorts of smack-talk (and possibly the occasional bit of physical violence).  For my money, at least, split-screen multiplayer is the far more enjoyable atmosphere...
This is one of the reasons I find consoles so attractive. Although you get a similar thing going when you LAN some older games on cheaper laptops, sat around a table with cords in every orifice and food in every other.

Offline mxlm

IMO the future of PC gaming isn't in high end graphics. Consoles simply win that war through and through. Yes you can get better results on a PC, but you PAY for those results by a factor of 10 ($300 vs a $3,000 ultra high end PC).
In the first place, you don't seem to recall what consoles cost when they're released. In the second place, the notion that you need to spend anything like $3k to get visuals that are dramatically better than those found on a console is simply wrong.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
In the first place, you don't seem to recall what consoles cost when they're released. In the second place, the notion that you need to spend anything like $3k to get visuals that are dramatically better than those found on a console is simply wrong.

I concur with that. £500 (which is what $600-$800 or something like that) you can home build a PC including purchasing OS (at about the time MS launches a new version of windows otherwise you are looking at £300-£400 to build from scratch) and you will have a top end PC.

Personal experience.  I bought first gen Athlon 64 with a gig of memory + mobo when the chips were bleeding edge tech (only 2 Mobos supported the chip at the time) and I spent something like £150 ($300 at the time) and assembling a PC from scratch isn't rocket science, just time consuming.  the only expensive internal component I didn't buy at the time was the graphics card which I picked up later for about £70 and is the GF 6600 GT that is still serving me faithfully today.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The XBox 360 was $299.99 when it was released.  In that respect, at least, you're wrong.