Author Topic: HTL Medusa  (Read 70873 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
In theory, it's possible to have so many effects on a fighter. They in themselves are not a problem.
ABTrails are what causes the game to crash (not to mention they'd look silly with so many glows).

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Pfft, just split them up into groups of less than 10.
Then you can have as many as you want, and the game won't crash.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Kolgena

I don't think that fixes the problem of having anime-esque afterburner trails, or the performance hit that we could do without.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I actually sort of liked the afterburner trail effect this many engine glows caused, though it won't be as large a problem when modeled thrusters are put on.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

The crash occurs because more than 12 contrails are associated with the object, doesn't matter if it's split up into "groups" or not.

The shot E posted has 24 and a special engine build to support it. The glow factor looks nice, but the AB Trail is VERY anime-esque and not fitting with the universe.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I thought that he just disabled trails for testing.
Anyway, does bumping the trail limit breaks anything?
A few people would really wecome such a change, especially that it would allow for such animesque trails (think of how WoD could benefit from that).
I'd certainly like to see how modelled thruster cones will look like. Adding them to other Mediavps (and FSPort) ships could also be a good idea.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Out of curiosity, what sorts of anime series are people thinking of when they use the term "anime-esque" to describe trails?  I haven't come across much in my anime-watching that would bring to mind multiple thruster trails. :p

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Since WoD is being mentioned I think anime-esque refers to extremely long thruster trails.
Think Macross Frontier and the dogfight excersize between Aldo and Klan.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, but that's contrail length, not contrail density.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
They're bomber engines. Can't you just make, like ONE big engine glow for each engine? They're not big enough that it matters.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

We -could-. But the problem with that is the -shape- is all off. 2 big circle shapes, when the engines obviously are NOT.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Hmm...perhaps you could do a simple illustration with MSPaint or something to show what you're saying? Perception is a very intricate thing.

i like all the little raised details. this is one of the best updates i've seen.

Offline Kolgena

How did our old Medusa handle it? It didn't look particularly terrible.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Two thruster points on each port.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You could use, for instance, 4 or 5 thruster glows per port (6 max), try playing around with this.
Although 24 glows are awesome, they mess with the trails and strain engine limitaitons (though, if bumping the limits didn't caused any problems, I'd like to see it in nightlies).

Offline Luis Dias

Lol People are so perfectionist! You aren't going to see Medusa's full glory in-game, ever. The usage of 4 to 6 thruster glows per port is the obvious answer, and no one will ever notice that "OMG the effects only showed 10 GLOW THRUSTERS when the ship when stopped CLEARLY HAS 24 OMGWTFBBQ!!!". ... ahhhhem. And the full detail of the ship will only be noticeable when someone makes a cutscene with it flying right on the screen sideways, as the Collossus is in its own cutscene.

The model is awesome. And you'll never notice it in-game. Oh what the hell, it's awesome and that's reason enough :)

Offline Kolgena

What?

With people playing at resolutions of 1680x1050 and above, it'll be easy to notice the upgrades, even from 500 meters away.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Lol People are so perfectionist! You aren't going to see Medusa's full glory in-game, ever. The usage of 4 to 6 thruster glows per port is the obvious answer, and no one will ever notice that "OMG the effects only showed 10 GLOW THRUSTERS when the ship when stopped CLEARLY HAS 24 OMGWTFBBQ!!!". ... ahhhhem. And the full detail of the ship will only be noticeable when someone makes a cutscene with it flying right on the screen sideways, as the Collossus is in its own cutscene.

The model is awesome. And you'll never notice it in-game. Oh what the hell, it's awesome and that's reason enough :)

Looking at it that way,  nothing would have changed since retail.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The upgrades are noticable, minor things such as amount of thruster glows are not.