Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 583937 times)

Offline Grimper

Still fairly sure it's that minecart plugin, the server wasn't anywhere near that bad before that got introduced.

EDIT: Server seems less laggy so far

EDIT 2: Oh win it seems blaze rods can be used as furnace fuel that works better than coal. I got like 10 stacks of them from the XP farm, so that solves the problem of close growing tree farms not working anymore.

Also qaz can you get around to fixing my biome and the fenris one when you have the chance please :>
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:44:24 pm by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Oh right, about that tree farm thing: from what I could see in my SP game, it seems to be an MP-only issue.  I have the same setup in both places, and it's only on the server that I'm losing random saplings.

Offline Grimper

Hmm server is down again :\
When Australia burned.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Oh right, about that tree farm thing: from what I could see in my SP game, it seems to be an MP-only issue.  I have the same setup in both places, and it's only on the server that I'm losing random saplings.
considering the sheer amounts of saplings close-in farms tend to generate, its not a bug its a feature, as far as i'm concerned :p
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
considering the sheer amounts of saplings close-in farms tend to generate, its not a bug its a feature, as far as i'm concerned :p

Actually tree farms where the trees are planted right next to each other have drastically less sapling drops per tree than a spread-out tree farm, due to most of the leaves being "shared" leaves between 3 or more trees.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Grimper

Damn sammich beat me to it. And yeh he's right, if the trees all grow together you get way less saplings. And it's definitely not a good bug, when it first hit my farm is was newly replanted, so I lost about 2 stacks of saplings. The only viable option now is to have very spread out tree farms, and since my farm is underground, that means a hell of a lot more digging.

Also server is down again ._.
When Australia burned.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
If it's just shared leaf blocks, it's not really a bug... o_o

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
No, the bug is that already-planted saplings will up and vanish at random, presumably when other trees grow around them.  I have all my oak trees spaced out with a block in between them, and it still happens to me.  As I said, I have the same setup in SP, and yet it doesn't seem to happen there.

Offline Aardwolf

Oh, that?

It's because they haven't got sufficient light.

Offline Grimper

I'm using this design:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Tree_farming#80.25_efficiency_farming

As you can see, if there was any more light, there'd be no room for saplings. I'm using glowstone instead of torches as well, which is 1 light level brighter.

I think what has happened is that the code has changed, so that when a tree fails a growing attempt, instead of just waiting a few ticks then trying again, it unplants the sapling instead.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:02:26 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
The discussion page does note the popping-up saplings issue since 1.0 too, so we're not the only ones experiencing it unexpectedly.

Offline Grimper

Actually I was the one who put that on the discussion page. Someone replied to me though saying they have it too.

Also,
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/884215-saplings-are-disappearing-from-my-treefarm
When Australia burned.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I really wish trees were more dynamic. Imagine if trees would die after, oh, perhaps 30 in-game days. The trunk & branch logs would disappear except for the very bottom log as a stump, leaving the leaves to decay. Occasionally, the leaves would leave behind a sapling item drop. If the sapling isn't picked up at the end of 5 minutes, it would have a 20% chance of auto-planting itself in the ground instead of vanishing.

Those simple changes would give us fully-dynamic forests, which would expand, grow old, occasionally burn down (when new trees grow near lava pools/falls), and just change over time.

EDIT: Posted it to the MC forums: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/933044-simple-changes-for-natural-forest-growth/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:42:40 am by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Aardwolf

I saw an old gameplay video of a never-ending forest fire, caused by trees dropping saplings.

Hmm.. been waiting for quite a few hours for the server to get back up, any word on it?
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Grimper

I really wish trees were more dynamic.
Those arn't simple changes from a coding perspective, but there's a mod that does something similar anyway.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/191599-v10-nature-overhaul-v17/

Basically any gameplay, graphics, or sound/music change you want, there's a mod for it. And if you really insist that it must go into the vanilla game, post it on jebs twitter account. Note that most "good" ideas, are stupid, and insanely complicated from a coding perspective, which is why they are better left to third parties.

Hmm.. been waiting for quite a few hours for the server to get back up, any word on it?

Qaz said to leave a message on his irc when it's down, but idk what channel he uses.
It's been down for over 24 hours now though, so he must have noticed...idk what's going on.

EDIT:
Noticed most peeps in this thread don't know much about mods, so I'll list some of the better ones to play around with.

Better Than Wolves
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/253365-10-better-than-wolves-aka-happy-fun-time-mod-v348-upd-jan-7/

Buildcraft
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/682920-100-buildcraft-2211-310-blueprints-pipes-quarry-auto-crafting-building-engines/

Zeppelin mod
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/488434-100-zeppelin-023-wip/

Better Then Buildcraft
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/910330-10-better-then-buildcraft-v-103-upd-jan-8/

Turn off bedrock fog
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/832077-100-fog-reducer/

Mo Creatures
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/81771-v100-mo-creatures-v31-with-goats-jellyfish-mantarays-and-stingrays/

Industrialcraft
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/604928-181-industrialcraft%C2%B2-v115/

Redpower
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/365357-100-eloraams-mods-redpower-2-prerelease-4c/

Weeping Angels from Dr Who
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/694829-100-weeping-angels-v153-28-dec/

The top 3 mods are my most highly recommended ones, they add a lot more automation to the game so you can build complex factories to auto produce items and farming. Better Than Wolves has a more medieval feel that fits in the best with vanilla mineraft, buildcraft is more the industrial age so doesn't fit in quite as well. If you both BTW and BC in your game, you need to use the Better Then Buildcraft compatibility mod else they won't work.
The zeppelin mod lets you create you own ship, barge, boat, spaceship etc, out of blocks; then make it fly :D

Industrialcraft does the same thing as Better Than Wolves and Buildcraft, but with high tech unbalanced stuff that definately doesn't fit in...but you may want that idk. IC is compatible with BC, but not with BTW and never will be.

Bedrock fog is self explanatory, and mo creatures adds a lot of different and interesting passive and hostile mobs to the world (you may want to turn some off, there's a lot), and weeping angels are just freaking epic.

Redpower...personally I don't recommend that, but I put it there for the people who can't use redstone to save their lives. Basically, redpower goes and throws complex circuits out the window, combining logic gates into single blocks and letting you place redstone up walls and on ceilings. So it's redstone on easy mode basically.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:32:27 pm by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Qaz hangs out on the HLP IRC channel, but since Esper has apparently been experiencing a DOS attack over the past couple of days, I have no idea if it's up at the moment.

Edit: It's up, and I sent him a message, so either way he'll be aware of it in the near future.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:26:19 pm by Mongoose »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Wut? No Tale of Kingdoms MOD in that list?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Steam
Optifine can already turn off depth fog in addition to so much more and is a must have all on its own, making the depth fog mod redundant. You also didn't suggest a minimap, of which both Rei's and Zan's are good (I prefer Rei's now, so pretty).

Otherwise, interesting list.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.