Author Topic: Shivans=Hunters?  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Grey Wolf

Here's a possible theory that I don't think anyone's posted yet:
The Shivans are sportsmen. They hunt down fledgling species like man hunts deer. The relative weakness of the Lucifer fleet was because they were trying to preserve the "purity of the hunt". When we destroyed the Lucifer, they realized they had to get out the big guns. Hence, the Sathani.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
So the Shivans are Predators? I don't think so.
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
I Don't Think that they are hunters...... they are too mysterious to just br plain hunters. I personally think they have some bigger motive. And besides, hunters usually take trophies.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Been watching Predator too much, methinks.

Though I'm digging this great mental picture of a Moloch with a Vasudan head mounted on the nose as a hood ornament...:D

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
lol there is a wooden figurehead of a Vasudan head on the Volition Bravos. :D

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Um.... this is very VERY doubtful...  I mean hunters? sport? these are viscous spare-faring beings with one purpose: destroy.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by vadar_1
Um.... this is very VERY doubtful...  I mean hunters? sport? these are viscous spare-faring beings with one purpose: destroy.

yeah, and Capella was for the barbeque :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009
Here's a possible theory that I don't think anyone's posted yet:
The Shivans are sportsmen. They hunt down fledgling species like man hunts deer. The relative weakness of the Lucifer fleet was because they were trying to preserve the "purity of the hunt". When we destroyed the Lucifer, they realized they had to get out the big guns. Hence, the Sathani.

and so if  a deer takes down one of the hunters you burn down the entire forest. No, seriously, why would the bring down Capella?
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Re: Shivans=Hunters?
Originally posted by Stunaep

and so if  a deer takes down one of the hunters you burn down the entire forest. No, seriously, why would the bring down Capella?

Not just burn it down either. Burn it down then build a big fence round it so that you can't get back in.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2002, 11:45:17 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FSW

Karajoma, the Shivans did not build a fence around GTVA space. The GTVA did it themselves.

"We want nodes!"
"But the Terrans and Vasudans are too strong... they will not allow us near their systems."
"Let's stop them spreading into other nodes then."
"How?"
"Send in a few of those civilian escape pods... what do you call them again? Oh, yeah, those Sathani that are so crap and small by modern Shivan standards that they were decommissioned years ago... dig a few up and send them into Capella to scare the **** out of the Terrans and Vasudans. That way maybe they will seal off their own nodes."
"Good idea, sir."

"Hey, look! This system is densely populated!"
"Let's just blow it up then, just out of spite."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by FSW
Karajoma, the Shivans did not build a fence around GTVA space. The GTVA did it themselves.

You don`t call a cloud of superheated gas hot enough to melt any ship that it comes into contact with immediately a deterent to entering that system?

I know that the GTVA sealed the nodes but the shivans had already planned to demolish the sun as soon as they got into capella, an action that would seal the system for tens if not hundreds of years.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
The Shivans were NOT planning on destroying Capella all along, sorry to break it to you.

They did it in an act of cesperation, after realizing that they didn't have enough time to do another little jaunt around GTVA space before they ran out of CD space/attention span, and realized that they needed to do something climactic quickly before the game just ended on some node getting sealed and them getting blockaded off again. Besides which, they remembered that by pitching the Lucy at Earth they'd effectively removed the only target which would actually provoke any real interest in GTVA pilots.:D

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Ever see ants fight? Yeah.. Thats what I think, they see us as another "ant colony" thats in their way....

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Thorn
Ever see ants fight? Yeah.. Thats what I think, they see us as another "ant colony" thats in their way....

Indeed. :)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Hey, any Shivan theory is a good theory in my book
Does anybody here REALLY know what the Shivans are all about?
Watching from the background since 17 April 2002.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
hmmm, the capella nebula wouldnt take that long to cool down.  the gasses may have been very hot when the star first went supernova, but the gas is very spread out and space is very cold.  add that to the fact that there is not longer a star in the system to heat it

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by killadonuts
Hey, any Shivan theory is a good theory in my book
Does anybody here REALLY know what the Shivans are all about?

Yes. ;)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

The Shivans were NOT planning on destroying Capella all along, sorry to break it to you.

They did it in an act of cesperation, after realizing that they didn't have enough time to do another little jaunt around GTVA space before they ran out of CD space/attention span,

I agree that the Shivans weren't planning on destroying Capella when the first Rakassa (sp?) entered Gamma Drak. It might have been just an ordinary 'lets go out and get those pesky Terrans and Vasudans'. But then when Sathanas number 1 enter Capella it noticed that the Capella star was an ideal candiate to do whatever they did do it to. Sathanas 1 sends message to Shivan space. Some Sathanas are mobilised enter Capella and all hell breaks loose.

But I disagree with the 'didn't have enough time to do another little jaunt' statement. They've been around for what, at least 4000 years, I'll think they'll have the time. Plus the GTVA fleets would have to totally destroyed if the Sathanas had made straight for the Vega and Epsilion Pegasi nodes instead of the Capella star.
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline Nuclear1

Reflections of the Shivans.......
Nobody can fathom how or why the Shivans destroyed the Capella star.... Though we know our enemy better than we did 32 years ago, their motives remain a mystery....

Think about the nebula beyond the Knossos..... the remnant of a supernova thousands, if not, millions of years old.....

And we traveled faster and farther.......

The Knossos...... an ancient subspace portal...... built by a long gone civilization........

All the jump nodes to Earth are gone....... but the Shivans can rebuild them...... they are also the Great Preservers

The Shivans obviously knew a great deal more about subspace than the Terrans, Vasudans, or even Ancients knew........ The Great Preservers....... Shivans mean to preserve the universe.........

Conquering and colonizing in systems where we had no place, the cosmic destroyer took note..... the pain and anguish of our conquests were the clarion call of our doom......

Great civilizations become too powerful..... power leads to arrogance..... arrogance leads to..... destruction.......
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Great civilizations become too powerful..... power leads to arrogance..... arrogance leads to..... destruction.......

bah, too mystical; an advanced civilization would have dropped that stuff long ago. :p