Author Topic: The reimergence of a legend....  (Read 13748 times)

Offline TheCelestialOne

• Man of Exceptional Taste
The reimergence of a legend....
Originally posted by beatspete
I think corvetes are faster than terran cruisers since they are newer.

Cruisers get refitted with new engines.
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by Stunaep
Delta Serpentis - Solaris

WTF? Solaris?

Its Sol. :p
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by TheCelestialOne

Cruisers get refitted with new engines.

There IS a limit to refitting. You can't build a ferrari out of a wolkswagen.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline TheCelestialOne

• Man of Exceptional Taste
But beatspete thinks that corvettes ARE faster than older cruisers. And I think that is not true at all.
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Well, that is true if you only take the FS1 cruisers.

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
    • http://hometown.aol.com/kabal150/index.html
Most of the cruisers used in FS1 were also used in FS2, with the same speeds.
Soon the kabal will rule...soon....everyone.....will....DIE!Kabal's House (Samples of my work)

Offline Nuclear1

Actually, the Fenris and Deimos go about 30 m.p.s, though I think the Deimos might be able to go a little faster......
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Here are the speeds:

Fenris: 20
Leviathan: 10
Aeolus: 30
Aten: 25
Mentu: 35
Cain: 30
Lilith: 20
Rakshasa: 20

Deimos: 30
Sobek: 30
Moloch: 30

Offline YodaSean

• i am so special
    • http://www.geocities.com/radioactiveyeti
Originally posted by beatspete
Plus another thing - sure the Collosus was nice to look at, but it was a bit of a waste of 30000 people.  How about if those crew were converted into thirty thousand, Helios armed Ursa bombers:devilidea

So maybee not 30000, since they would need support crews and carrier ships to live on, but thats still a hell of a lot of bombers, 2 or 3 good bomber pilots can take down an Orion.

Yarp, your right about the massive firepower of 30,000 ursa bombers compared to one collosus, but the problem is 30,000 bombers could easily be taken out by large amounts of fighters and cruisers, so they don't have much staying power.  The Collosus would probably be the best ship in the game for just holding its ground in whatever system and stopping the enemy from launching a counterstrike.  Being six kilometers long, It covers a relatively large amount of the battle area and has weapons to fire from all angles, and enemy ships smaller than cruisers can barely make a dent on it.

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
    • http://hometown.aol.com/kabal150/index.html
Only thing smaller than cruisers are fighters and bombers. Bombers can dent a colossus.
Soon the kabal will rule...soon....everyone.....will....DIE!Kabal's House (Samples of my work)

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
30 000 Ursas would get shot down, they would need a LOT more than 30 000 people for maintenance, and in general, the Colossus worked effectively against the NTF.

If I were them I'd combine the two - create a huge ship Knossos capabilities, much more useful and more powerful then anything the Shivans thusfar have.

Personally I think, that the GTVA would require a lot of years for research to make something of that scale. Since their top priority is reestablishing the Sol jump node, they would either go to Knossos project, maybe building a new (better) juggernaught at the same time.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
ok, 1 good Ursa pilot can take out an Orion, done it before, its even easier in a Sekhmet (that baby is fast for a bomber).  Lets say instead of the Colossus we went with 50 wings of Myrmidons, thats 200 fighters.  Armed with Helios in their 3rd banks, each Myrmidon only needs to get off 1 bomb that actually hits.  Since the 3rd bank can support 2 helios bombs, each fighter can get off 2 bombs on their first run.  Now, of course, some will get shot down, but Myrmidons are fast, maneuverable, and have decent agility, atleast 100 would get within 400 meters of their target, from which point their bombs are just about gauranteed to hit.  Likewise, it only takes 6 good Myrmidon pilots to wipe out any conventional destroyer.

The Colossus woulda made for a better carrier than a frontline weapon.

I havent directly attacked a collosus, but i made 48 bombers and a sathanas in FRED then ordered them to attack.  It was quite a site, dozens of helios warheads flying towards the sath.  Some got shot down, but after the first lot hit, the sath was down to about 80% hull.
The problem came later when some of our bombers had been shot down, and there was only 1 support ship to rearm the rest, so it was a bit slow towards the end.
Plus it was on easy mode :doh:

Anyway, i'll try a collosus over the next few days.

pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Originally posted by LtNarol
ok, 1 good Ursa pilot can take out an Orion, done it before, its even easier in a Sekhmet (that baby is fast for a bomber).  Lets say instead of the Colossus we went with 50 wings of Myrmidons, thats 200 fighters.  Armed with Helios in their 3rd banks, each Myrmidon only needs to get off 1 bomb that actually hits.  Since the 3rd bank can support 2 helios bombs, each fighter can get off 2 bombs on their first run.  Now, of course, some will get shot down, but Myrmidons are fast, maneuverable, and have decent agility, atleast 100 would get within 400 meters of their target, from which point their bombs are just about gauranteed to hit.  Likewise, it only takes 6 good Myrmidon pilots to wipe out any conventional destroyer.

The Colossus woulda made for a better carrier than a frontline weapon.

In FS1 I took down an Orion in a Valk. It's not hard. You just stay close to the hull and pummel the turrets. Once the turrets is gone, you fly out to a distance and sit pummeling the hull with a support ship constantly by your side. Works with any ship although with some it takes too damn long to bother.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Nuclear1

Cant do that in FS2, though. You would need at least a Maxim-fitted fighter with a Trebuchet or greater warhead. Destroyers and biggies are well-armored in that one.....

Sounds stupid. A single Herc taking out a Hades........

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
in fs2, anything bigger than a cruiser has a "huge" tag that requires weapons using that tag to destroy it.

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by nuclear1
Cant do that in FS2, though. You would need at least a Maxim-fitted fighter with a Trebuchet or greater warhead.

True, except that maxim would not be enough. It doesn't have that "huge" tag. Trebuchet has, though, so with it you can destroy even capital ships. :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
One thing is that the Helios is not designed as a standard commonly-used bomb; as the tech room says, it costs a lot to produce and is only reserved for missions of the highest importance. (i.e. taking down the first Sathanas) The Cyclops is the standard warhead used for all other operations. ;)

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
i think taking down a Sathanas with 50 wings of fighters in a hurry warants Helios bombs

On a completely unrelated note, why the hell can a Myrmidon mount Helios bombs but not Cyclops' ?