Author Topic: Modular Construction Kit (Release 1.2 Now Available)  (Read 32235 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Modular Construction Kit (Release 1.1 Now Available)
For those who are interested, this is what modular bases look like at the moment. It's imagebin, so the link will expire eventually. What you see there is made from 2 pieces - the bevelled bit and the flat fronted bit - where they join is pretty obvious. You can also see the dishes, turret and cables. I still have some work to do with diversity, obviously. I'm going to be grabbing a few pieces off that outpost I posted the other week (The "Claws", which are designed to integrate with the Kit anyway, and likely the pods), and doing some more large chunk type pieces, but I'm not quite sure exactly how to design them. I am working on it though.

[EDIT]My bad, you can't actually see the dishes in that particular shot, but I'm sure I've posted a pic of them before.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 03:16:06 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Another imagebin pic - another type of possible hab module, but with a lot more work involved. Going down the biodome route means something to fill them with, which adds quite a bit of work
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Another imagebin pic - another type of possible hab module, but with a lot more work involved. Going down the biodome route means something to fill them with, which adds quite a bit of work
Maybe just have them opaque or semi-opaque Eden Project-style for now? Assume they have an artificial lighting system running inside, which would be good if the crops/scene they're growing needs light and day settings or a controlled environment anyhow.

Love how these are coming along though Black Wolf; the people of the GTA thank you! (well they would... if they had a voice... :lol:)
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline LoneKnight

• One does not simply ALT-J into Mordor.
Awesome! Ever think of adding solar panels?
Burning Heaven

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline LoneKnight

• One does not simply ALT-J into Mordor.
Awesome! Ever think of adding solar panels?

As a matter of fact...

:D

Sexy. But can you make larger variations? I was building a spaceport using a custom Installation model and your modular kit (sadly an older version) and a large spaceport/city might have several massive solar panels as opposed to lots of small ones. Just a thought.
Burning Heaven

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Sexy. But can you make larger variations? I was building a spaceport using a custom Installation model and your modular kit (sadly an older version) and a large spaceport/city might have several massive solar panels as opposed to lots of small ones. Just a thought.

Probably not - nothing personal, but I've nixed varying the sizes of things before - the reasons then still hold now:

I suggest to add bigger and smaller parts. (not just different lengths)

Problem there is that everything, at this point, is standardized around the single cell and 5 cell girders (except the umbilical dock, but that's already fixed on my end and will be fixed in the next version for you guys). Everything is 10x10 wide. Changing that would mean duplicating every piece in, say, 2x or 5x scale. I can think of uses (like appplying this stuff to destroyers rather than cruisers and corvettes), but I'm not really keen to include it as part of the basic pack, as it'd double the size. Resizing in PCS is now a fairly trivial matter though, so if someone needs big pieces for a mod, they'll be easy to make.

Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Version 1.2 - http://www.mediafire.com/?xhrz4dh5znndwxn

Included everything bar the modular installation bits, which aren't really ready yet. Let me know if there are any bugs.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Modular Construction Kit (Release 1.2 Now Available)
dont forget modular turrets or perhaps some kind of defense module with a wide array of weapons, where you only need a couple to provide adequate firepower.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
 :wtf:

Did you open the pack? It has a turret in there.. You really shouldn't need more than 1 or 2 turret designs though...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
This is awesome! Utility of this pack is almost unbounded. Can't wait for other types of modular turrets.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
:wtf:

Did you open the pack? It has a turret in there.. You really shouldn't need more than 1 or 2 turret designs though...

of course not, cant really say i intend to make use of it. mission design is not really my area of expertise. i just thought it would be kinda cool to have guns, and didnt see any mention of them.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I downloaded the latest pack, and my virus scanner reported the presence of Univ.script/99a. :blah:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

a sort of robotic arm mounted on the girders using them as rails would be Pretty cool too, and a missile launcher turret, along with some force field projectors maybe? and you know... that sort of modules, space fusion reactors, science stations, warp nasceles (i know i know lol...), and maybe don't make them indestructible... it would be really cool if when hit by a bomb for example, they explode with some radial splash damage, thus causing a chain reaction that you can see advancing and destroying each adjacent piece.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I downloaded the latest pack, and my virus scanner reported the presence of Univ.script/99a. :blah:

What's virustotal.com say?

EDIT: 0/44 virus scanning engines detected a threat... must be false positive
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:37:21 pm by jr2 »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i wish virus programmers would go back to writing their own libraries instead of #including commonly used ones :D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I just downloaded it again and got the same thing. :rolleyes:  McAfee says that it's limited to readme.txt though.  Can someone quote it here?

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Quote from: readme.txt
Freespace Modular Construction Kit
By Black Wolf

This is the 1.2 version of the Freespace modular construction kit, used to create drydocks and small installations from a series of small pieces in FRED. There will most likely be future versions with more parts, especially habitation modules. That said, any modders who feel like adding to the collection are more than welcome to do so.

The kit contains the following pieces:

- A single girder cube
 - A five cell girder (open ended)
 - An eleven cell girder (open ended)
 - A twenty three cell girder (open ended)
 - A Small cap plate
 - A Docking ring
 - An Umbilical dock, to connect ships inside the drydock with the ouside world
 - A Short umbilical connector
 - A 90 degree bent umbilical connector
 - A cube/cross connector piece
 - A large docking pad
 - A series of Solar-type Panels
 - A Modular Turret
 - A modular sensor dish
 - A set of cables
 - A "Biodome" Type habitable area

In addition, two mods that are not directly a part of the kit have been included, a cargo platform (included as one of the models uses one of its textures) and a gas tank cargo container (as a stand-in for a habitation module until a better one is made).

One mod that has not been included but, in my opinion, fits very well with the kit is the GTDk Acropolis Fighter dock. If you choose to add the Acropolis to your kit, it is most easily found via the FSWiki -
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTDk_Acropolis

Another useful model is the GTDr Phidias, or Colossus Construction Drone, by MjnMixael. It is also available from the wiki here:
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Phidias
An associated model, the 3301, is available here:
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTDr_3301

All of the models have been tested with Freespace Open 3.6.12, and there's no reson why they shouldn't work with earlier or later builds, to a point. They will not work with retail for a bunch of reasons, most significantly the lack of multidocking support.

Some Tips for FREDders

- Position your items in FRED by docking them together, but use the "Jettison-cargo" sexp at the start of the mission to break the girders up into their component pieces for the actual game. The engine struggles with the physics of docked ships at the best of times, and multidocking potentially dozens of things together can give it a heart attack if anything shoots or collides with the docked meshes.

- Some of the pieces have multiple docks, sometimes to allow cargo to dock, other times to give different orientations. Play with the docking to get it right.

- The texture-replacement feature in FRED is very useful for getting more diversity out of a limited set of models. Access it through the Ships editor

- Always choose a single, easily identified piece of material in any docked set and make note of its coordinates, or place it somewhere easy to remember like 0,0,0. This will be very useful when FRED decides to drag your carefully positioned drydock as one unit a few hundred metres out of place trying to dock something incorrectly.

- Also, don't stress is FRED suddenly seems to scatter your pieces all over the place - this is a multidocking issue, but it's easily rectified by just moving your construct up or down on one of its axes, then back into place, or even just right clicking on something and using the Position and Orientation editor. As long as everything is docked together and not just placed there, it will snap together.

- Set all your pieces to hostile, protect ship and stealth in the ships editor to avoid filling the Radar with dots. You may also want to use invulnerable, but that's up to you.

- Recent builds of the SCP have the ability to define objects as immobile, using the "Does not Move" checkbox in the ships editor. This is very useful.

- Be creative! The parts are designed to be as flexible as possible, so all sorts of shapes and combinations are possible. In addition, standard sizes have been used for most of the pieces, and so additions to the kit are very welcome.

NOTE - Although pretty heavily tested, the occasional bug may have crept in. Please let me know via the Hard Light Productions forums:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php.

While you're there, check out this thread for some cool ideas about how to use your kit:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=74116.0
(But please, if you're downloading this in the distant future, don't bump the thread without good cause - that ticks people off).

CHANGES SINCE PREVIOUS VERSION:

Obviously, new pieces have been added. Also, changes have been made to a few dockpoints to make them more useful - the TGas1 has gained additional dockpoints, and a bug with the 90 degree umbilical connector has been fixed (dockpoint aligned on the wrong axis).

FUTURE PLANS:

Proper Habitation modules for modular outposts. Promise.

NOTES REGARDING THE BIODOME:

The Biodome is currently in limbo due to FSO's inability to handle transparency properly - it's only capable of rendering one model behind a translucent surface, hence anything that lives in the biodome is invisible. It's been included so that, if someone wants to use it, they can, but I would strongly reccomend that they use an opaque texture for the glass.

CREDITS:
All models and textures created by myself, Black Wolf, except the Fen08 texture, which came from the Inferno mod.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I found your problem....

McAfee says

Try a real Anti-Virus... like AVG, Avira, or Avast...
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod