Author Topic: Medals  (Read 20265 times)

Offline CAP1331

Hi,
  I'm new to the forum. I love what you have done with the engine, it's really awesome. As a little tribute, I've tried to redo the medals from FS2. I don't know if this will be usefull but at least I enjoyed doing it. I've tried to keep them as similar as possible with default. I would appreciate your feedback a lot.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
Welcome to HLP!, hope you enjoy your stay :D

About the medals, they look like the originals but they don't feel realistic, you might want to add some shadowing and stuff like that... maybe cloth like textures over the ribbons and metal like shine over the medal, not sure what else would help to make them look more real.

BTW, I'm not part of the FSU so.. don't take my input as a competent insight.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Kolgena

The default medals were created through modeling, which is why the lighting on them is more convincing. If we're aiming to recreate the Medal room in higher resolution, we'd need to render it in 3D, if only to keep lighting consistent across medals and between the medals and the board. These are quite good for a 2D job though, and I'm wondering if they could be used somehow...

Maybe someone's mod could implement these as ship decals, as a way to decorate fighters with the medals the pilot has earned? This might be more appropriate for the badges than the medals.

Medal 4 has a decent lion on it. I know someone here was working on the Blue Lions insignia, and was looking for a decent lion, but that was many weeks ago. Edit: Herra Tohtori, over here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=71959.msg1454968#msg1454968

Oh yeah, I'm also not FSU. Those that are will have the badge under their name. So, what I say also isn't competent insight :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:31:27 pm by Kolgena »

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
I agree with Rodo, the input of an FSU member would be useful.

*takes a look at the medals, thinking about using them in Syrk*
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

I feel like your images are the reference the GTVA gave to the guy who makes their medals. It looks very nice, but it simply is isn't the real thing, not in a bad way, and it would be a great reference if actual 3d models will be used for the medals. Good work.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
They indeed look like a reference material and could be even used as such when making actual models.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oh cool sprite-style medals!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
If they are vector graphics (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc) we can export them and import them in a 3d software.

Extrude them a bit and chamfer some stuff and you got your 3d models. :)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline CAP1331

Thank you guys for your comments. They're 2D vector graphics, and I must agree with you, it's not the real deal. As for adding a ribbon texture, I think it's not necesary, it looks the same once it's shrunk to the retail size and it makes my laptop crash :p. I will try to export them and make a 3D versions in Sketchup (a process that will take me some time), specially since nobody had any big issue besides the fact that they're not 3D rendered. Let the work begin...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Huh.. cool. I can scratch this off my to-do list.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline CAP1331

OK, I've been trying to add the 3rd dimension into those medals. I'm using Sketchup 8 for the models and Kerkythea for rendering. For some reason, I couldn't get Sketchup to work well with the imported curves, so I imported a picture and restarted from there. Here's my progress on the first one. I don't seem to find some good-looking easy-to-do ribbons, so I'll just leave those cartoonish ribbons for now and add them color and texture once they're upgraded (if they are). I've added some little details 'cause it just looked weird with perfectly shaped triangles everywhere.
Hope you like it!

I could get used to that.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
You are definitely on the right track :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
* sigtau approves. :yes:
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline CAP1331

I've been having problems with Sketchup, I don't know why it seems to mess with normals so that the final rendered image light effects look weird. But I think I've found a way to bypass this.
Now, some results:

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
These are definately looking great.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
You got some nice looking medals there, nice work! :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline CAP1331

Just showing some progress...

Offline Kolgena

Looks good!

(I'm not sure if some of those textures are place-holders or the real deal, but the olive branches might look better in army green rather than bright green. Also, the pink the nebula campaign star disagrees with me, but that's a personal thing :P)

Offline CAP1331

The textures are placeholders for now, but any input will be appreciate. The "pink center" on the nebula medal was suppose to be made of sugilite, a pink/purple semiprecious stone (I want it to be purple with white and darker stripes but I didn't find a good texture, I will make one in the future).  I replace the old gold and purple because I thought it would be odd to see gold (or brass) mixed with some violet nonmetallic material in such a way.