Author Topic: Volition: 'We'd Kill To Make FreeSpace 3' on Nowgamer.com  (Read 28799 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Volition: 'We'd Kill To Make FreeSpace 3' on Nowgamer.com
FSport had 100,000 downloads last year. I figure a digitally-distributed FS3 would do just as well.

I strongly suspect it did not have 100k users, however.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Both Saint's Row 3 and Red Faction Armageddon appear to be simultaneous console/Steam releases, so if we ever see a FS3, it'll probably be the same way. I just hope it's not a terrible console port.

I'm also not sure why Volition decided to tease us about FS3 now, 12 years later. That said, I'll buy a FS3 release in pretty much any form.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
Taking a look at Galemp's motto, I suppose :v: is supposed to be working on Sains Row 3 atm :P
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Is this good news?

I do not know.

Sure it is about the canon campaign. But i think that everyone would have big expections about story(telling) and gameplay mechanics after what we have already seen in SCP campaigns. Also i do not know how to continue a story after eleven years for all these people who did not play Freespace 1+2. FreeSpace2 was a continuation to a story which has a start and an end in FreeSpace: The Great War.

But the FreeSpace2 Story was some of open-ended, there are too many questions so they can not make a stand-alone Story in FreeSpace3 like they did in FreeSpace2.

Maybe they should think about a new space-sim universe which is not related to the FreeSpace Universe. A complete restart.
Have a positive effect, they do not need any IP.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:05:39 pm by Deepstar »
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Kolgena

I just want an ending for the Freespace story. And, maybe a better engine to mod with :P

(Also, I'm not sure I'd like Freespace on consoles simply due to control issues. I like having 10 different types of targeting)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I don't give a **** how it turns out, it's Freespace 3, of course I'm going to ****ing buy it! I'm not getting my hopes up anytime soon, though.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Ooh good to know :v: has not forgotten about FS. But who would have ever even doubted that, they propably never will.
Habeeb it...

Offline -Norbert-

But the FreeSpace2 Story was some of open-ended, there are too many questions so they can not make a stand-alone Story in FreeSpace3 like they did in FreeSpace2.
Considering how old FS1 and 2 are and that they even released the source, they can just put them into the box with FS3.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Only if they own the rights to assets in FS1 and FS2. I'm not all that certain if simple transfer of IP rights include assets, which may be owned by Interplay.

It may not be a big problem, the original assets are totally outdated, so they probably have to start all over from the beginning with practically everything... And then add all the goodies the new engine would be able to support.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I dunno, we'd likely still see some ships from FreeSpace 1 or FreeSpace 2 in FreeSpace 3 since in 30 years most of the FS1 ships were still present in FS2, unless they go with the might-as-well-be-a-new-ip route that Homeworld 2 took.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mort

• The dog that went meow
Well, what are they waiting for? Kill Interplay and make Fs3 already!

Finally Volition speaks after all these years. Now make the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mikes

If they did FS3, at least there would be no real competition, except FSO. Everything else in the direction of space sim that came out in the last few years is either an MMO, is really bad or both.
Well... excpet the X series (with Terren conflict now being 3 years old already, and X3 even 5), but those are more economic simulation in space with a bit of space sim, than pure space sim like FS. Great games, but different genre (and single player only).

Well... the combat and mission part of X definitely fits the "very very very utterly craptastically bad" category and the rest of the game plays sortof like a singleplayer MMO.  ;)

It's only saving grace is that it's pretty much the last commercial space-sim game that still deserves the "sim" part.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Seems like things are getting diluted into the ever present yea/nay FS3 battle...

In reality:

If V and/or interplay does another game, it's up to them and evidently they have their own ideas, or they wouldn't be
anxious to make something.

Even if you got another campaign, it doesn't change the fact that you can make your own variant if you hate it / etc.
It's guaranteed that not everyone will like it. Nothing ever lives up to the hype, or is great as you imagine, if you didn't spend
the time to do it yourself. Look at FS2/FS1's campaigns now... how many different spin off mods are there already?

V and Interplay are going to have to hash out the license issues on their own, we can talk up a storm but it makes
little difference unless the multitude of threads already written are used as supportive data to convince Interplay to let V
do something or vice versa.

Point remains that V needs an indication that it'd be profitable, so they can take it to the higher ups. Nothing will change as long as the
status quo remains as is.

First thing I'd be asking V, is what exactly do you need as data, in order to get from the "want to" stage, to the "thinking about how to" stage.
Besides piles of money, what do the higher ups need to see?
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What V needs, above all, is permission from THQ to do this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

He wants to make a console FS3....
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Posted by: QuantumDelta

What? that is a bad idea, i would not see the point in that as the consoles have never had the first FS games. Also there would most likely be an uproar from us and others if it was just for consoles. FS is a PC game always has been and should remain that way, then port it to consoles after.  :nod:

This brings back memories of an interview with  :v: in PCZone UK about 2 years ago, that if they did fs3 and would love to they had ideas of putting ships bigger juggernaughts in, Ramming ships,  proper ship and hull damage effects and to make it more wild, crazy and exciting as the others with an epic storyline.

Also i thought Interplay no longer held the licence for FS, i thought they has sold it to help get them out of there money problems or am i thinking something else??
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
They'd have to have at least a console port if they wanted to make any significant amount of money on the game.  And given that one can craft a perfectly-usable config on a PS2/3 controller, I think a console version could work out just fine.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
That's true. Plus back then, they didn't even have consoles that could support FreeSpace 1 or 2 which is probably partially why it wasn't ported. FS was like Crysis on a 2007 high end PC, barely playable.

And ideally it'd be a port from the PC to a console rather than the other way.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL