Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 57800 times)

I don't think that's a balance issue. I think the main weapons of the 3 classes (minus scouts) are more or less equivalent in effectiveness against infantry (scouts aren't as mobile with their default primaries, of course). What you get with each class is different gadgets. So, yeah you get anti-vehicle with engineer, but assault and support are better against infantry (or support). You'd still consider engineer to be a less effective choice in death-match for instance (which isn't real battlefield is it?).

I guess it may seem more logical to have engineers penalised with weaker anti-infantry main weapon because they're better against armour, but I'd rather not have a gimped main weapon when I'm chasing tanks and a soldier pops up in front of me.

EDIT: Update done! Hitting the fields!

I've found myself playing almost exclusively as Engineer. I'd like to try Assault or Recon, but there are entirely too many planes and tanks flying/driving around for my liking, so I must explode them.
Which is why the Engi is the best: Anti-air missiles, a good primary rifle, and I can still melee tanks to death. Love it.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Looks like the patch screwed up balance again. SOFLAMs + Javs are super powerful now, which means tanks have a lot more trouble staying alive. It's even worse for choppers, since jet cannons are *way* more powerful against them now. You can't keep a chopper in the air for more than 2 minutes even if you hug the ground the entire time.
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I've found myself playing almost exclusively as Engineer. I'd like to try Assault or Recon, but there are entirely too many planes and tanks flying/driving around for my liking, so I must explode them.
Which is why the Engi is the best: Anti-air missiles, a good primary rifle, and I can still melee tanks to death. Love it.
Yup, exactly. On smaller maps, like Metro, where vehicles are either limited or non-existent, the other infantry classes are worth playing. But on the regular, large, open maps? Nope.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

If there's proper team work in a squad (like there's supposed to be), I can imagine that having an assault teamed up with a support and 2 engineers would be great on a big CQ map, much better than just 4 engineers. But that's only if people play it right and actually try to cooperate.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Is anyone else having issues with jerky movement in helicopters and TV missile? I really hope it's a bug and not a nerf...it's impossible to accurately aim rockets now :(
When Australia burned.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

They added extra sliders for flight control sensitivity and joystick sensitivity now. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft

I've never had any luck trying to kill a tank with a repair tool, they always either drive away or get out and shoot me. But when I use a tank I have proximity radar on it, so no one can ever sneak up on me either. I've found proximity radar gets you *way* more kills than autoloader does, since most inf assume you have autoloader and try to get close to you. And I can still take out other tanks by alternating between tank shells and guided shell.

Although if this patch stays I likely won't be playing much anyway, it's ruined my favourite part of the game (helicopters) :(

They added extra sliders for flight control sensitivity and joystick sensitivity now. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Fiddled with that and got nothing. The TV missile problem seems to be universal, but only a few have the jerky heli controls. It's either a problem with mouse input or micro lag, but no one has found a solution yet.

EDIT: Nup can't play any more...no fun getting shot down every 30 seconds and dealing with jerky controls ._.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:31:08 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Offline ReeNoiP

• I FRED
In case nobody has seen it, check out this manly way of dog fighting:

Youtube
Uncharted Territory is released. But I still need voice actors

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
In case nobody has seen it, check out this manly way of dog fighting:

Youtube

That soundtrack was perfect.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Zook loop, re-incarnated. :P

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
That was ****ing amazing! :D

Did they ever make engineers less versatile? Cause atm their primary weapon is just as good (and somewhat better if you count the lack of any real recoil) as an assault's while being able to damage armored assets. To me this is a pretty big balancing issue too.
But an Assault can heal himself, and has that defib thing...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Did they ever make engineers less versatile? Cause atm their primary weapon is just as good (and somewhat better if you count the lack of any real recoil) as an assault's while being able to damage armored assets. To me this is a pretty big balancing issue too.
But an Assault can heal himself, and has that defib thing...
Sure, but he can't shoot down a helicoptor or another vehicle, which is why so many people play engineer, especially on the really large maps with tons of vehicles.

I've said that already. :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Assault can shoot down choppers :I
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Also, I haven't unlocked them yet, but I really, really, really love smoke grenades

I hear ya, they were one of the main reasons I ever swapped to the assault class in BC2.
Speaking of which, Hades, you should muck around with the misc weapons on the assault class, although you'll not take out a heavily armoured vehicle, they have a lot of weapons that can bugger more or less everything else, though I think the M320 got nerfed vs IFVs too in the beta.. but eh.. :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I hear ya, they were one of the main reasons I ever swapped to the assault class in BC2.
Speaking of which, Hades, you should muck around with the misc weapons on the assault class, although you'll not take out a heavily armoured vehicle, they have a lot of weapons that can bugger more or less everything else, though I think the M320 got nerfed vs IFVs too in the beta.. but eh.. :P
M320s still work wonders on jeeps! :) Especially when the gunner thinks that he is safe.

I do play most of my time on Engineer but the other three classes are vital in the force mix and if you have a team full of engineers only then they are vulnerable to tactics and techniques of the other classes. A smart player using Support can really lay down killing or covering fire as a team advances. Snipers have a similar role but if you have a good sniper then you have a much better view of the battlefield thanks to their spotting efforts and their ability to strategically take out key enemy forces.

Plus the teamwork aspect is huge. A sniper with a SOFLAM (laser designator) and a couple of Engineers with Javelins and a Support guy are a enemy vehicle elimination team.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
I hear ya about not being able to deal with vehicles. That's probably why the medic is the class I like to play the least. I prefer to play support: I like the machine gun's surpresson and sneaking up on tanks with C4, also probably because I really dislike going without ammunition.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

You can check my profile on which I like to play most :P
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/Achilleask/stats/301724519/

Yeah... I'm an assault whore. Mostly because I love assault rifles in almost every FPS game.

EDIT: Feel free to friend me (esp. if you're in Europe) for some games once in a while. I've been playing with some people from another website community with voice chat and it takes the game to a whole new level once you can organise tactics vocally.