Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421459 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I can't help but think of a Freelancer mod on crack. :nervous:

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
particle spammmmm :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Well turned out that one major performance breaker was a weapon that spawned 30 clusters, with the clusters having a particle spewer assigned
So when 4 of these were fired at once and impacted...

You do the math  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline -Norbert-

Doesn't that already go beyond the limit and thus delete some of the shots, or do particles count for another (or non) limit?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Particles don't count for the weapons limit.
Submunitions do, but that's not a problem, the limit is high enough.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
You call 62.7 FPS 'not as smooth'?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline -Norbert-

I'm pertty sure he didn't take the screenshot on the old Laptop, which had the performance problems with all the particles.

Offline guitarfan01

• Longtime Lurker
the limit is high enough.

Famous last words, there.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
April has almost ended Spoon, how much longer are you going to take?
I'm afraid still quite a bit longer

Yesterday I finally gained a bit of understanding about how Freespace treats hud elements (it involves brutally stretching/upscaling hud elements when resolutions different from 1024 x 768 are used). I also discovered the joy of the hud_gauge table and that dithering makes the 'color' banding in .pcx index mode look slightly less terrible. All on the same day.
What this comes down to is that headani's in WoD2 will be at a slightly higher resolution with significantly less stretching (from 160x120 to 250x188)

An example:

This screenshot (which was posted at the celebration of freespace thread) was 160 x 120 scaled from 1024 x 768 up to 1680 x 1050

And this is 250 x 188, slight upscale as the hud_gauge.tbl is set to 1440 x 900 and my resolution is 1680 x 1050
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Holy crap, playing as Cyrva? Btw nice head ani.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
High(er)-resolution headanis. Nice! :)

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Well at least you're making awesome progress, Spoon. All you need now is to have smoke/explosive bolts firing when you purge stuff  (Like the Kaze's WoD Booster) from your fighter and it'll one step closer to epicness.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
head ani's are one of those things that make my rig choke on it's own vomit for some reason, I'm waiting for someone to use the hud code to see if there's something with the resolution.....

I'll be waiting for your mod spoon :yes:
Also, Infi did the right thing!, he's kinda cool for an AI :D
el hombre vicio...

Offline -Norbert-

Well at least you're making awesome progress, Spoon. All you need now is to have smoke/explosive bolts firing when you purge stuff  (Like the Kaze's WoD Booster) from your fighter and it'll be one more step beyond epicness.
Fixed that for you :p
WoD already is epic, anything in addition is beyond even that!

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Oh my, those Hi-res Head ANIs are the sex
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Well at least you're making awesome progress, Spoon. All you need now is to have smoke/explosive bolts firing when you purge stuff  (Like the Kaze's WoD Booster) from your fighter and it'll be one more step beyond epicness.
Fixed that for you :p
WoD already is epic, anything in addition is beyond even that!
Heheh, that's true. Was a bit thrilled by blowing up all of the motherships in that one mission that I couldn't think right on the epicness thing.

Although, the whole thing about purging stuff is...pretty awesome. I've always dreamed of being able to purge things from my fighter in games, and...seems like my dream has been fulfilled. Hope Spoon'll expand on it, like purging expended ammo stores, drop tanks that increase afterburn recharge but impede mobility, maybe even armor kits when they get too damaged.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:02:24 am by Destiny »

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Spoon, I can't help it. I still think the dialogue needs to be less Joker and more Char.

Spoiler:
The people on [that ring planet] are selfish and their souls and bound by gravity. That is why I have decided to destroy them all.
(Char's Counterattack, First Scene)
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline -Norbert-

I think the overt references should be kept from the game. Small nods and such are fine, but too much would just diminish the atmosphere and uniqueness of WoD I think (music excluded ;) ).
Besides that film was bad even considering it had to fit a story that was planned as a tv series into a single feature film.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
I think the overt references should be kept from the game. Small nods and such are fine, but too much would just diminish the atmosphere and uniqueness of WoD I think (music excluded ;) ).
Besides that film was bad even considering it had to fit a story that was planned as a tv series into a single feature film.

Yes. Expy characters are no fun and kill the experience.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
hahah it was a joke. By no means do I want to limit the team's creativity, but what else is some gunpla obsessed freak going to see when he sees a vaguely asteroid thing facing a planet?
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.