Author Topic: Vasudan Cruiser, or my attempt at one and other ships too  (Read 7058 times)

Vasudan Cruiser, or my attempt at one and other ships too
Yes it's me again  ;7

Vasudan Cruiser, 4 twin barreled turrets and 7 BF Green Beam turrets are on so far. Dunno if I got too many BF Greens? Still to come are Medium beam turrets and slashers plus Anti-Fighter/Bomber turrets.
This also has two Fighter bays which I'm not really satisfied with them at the moment. It's also hard to see some of the hull details such as the central spine which is somewhat like some of the Vasudan Destroyers reactor glowing slots.

As for the design, It's not a show stopper that;s for sure! I'm, sure most of you have some first models out there you kinda cringe at now. Well this is my first shot at a ship and yeah it's not gonna shake the universe!  :doubt:
Since I took these shots, some details have changed and or added.

Still learning Wings 3D and might later dive into Blender since I just bought the manual for it.

So..Comment away!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:19:29 pm by Jadehawk »
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Vasudan Cruiser, or my attempt at one
It looks to need to be a bit thicker, with a few more curves.  Also, I'm not sure that a fighterbay should be on a cruiser.  I know that its been done in the past, but if you do want a bay, then it needs to be larger in proportion to the model.  Have it perhaps with a chin entry point like the intake of an F-16.  Also, make sure that your barrels point up and forward for dorsal multi-part turrets and down and aft for ventral ones.  It can be done other ways, but it makes it much simpler to set up in the pof.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Very cool, the foward part reminds me of the Aten a bit. Like Trivial Psychic said, I'm not sure on the bays too, they seem better to be left to a destroyer than a cruiser and the lower part could use a few more curves.

Is the BF Green a anti-capital beam?

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The description, the weapons mentioned, and the size of the fighterbays suggest a juggernaut, not a cruiser.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

From this angle it looks a lot like the Defiant.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The description, the weapons mentioned, and the size of the fighterbays suggest a juggernaut, not a cruiser.
Yes.
7 BF Green Beam turrets are on so far. Dunno if I got too many BF Greens? Still to come are Medium beam turrets and slashers plus Anti-Fighter/Bomber turrets.
This also has two Fighter bay
Even one BFGreen is far too much for a cruiser (one in the FreeSpace universe, anyway). I think you might be confusing "cruiser" for a larger ship class, as cruisers tend to not have too many capital-calibre beams (and they usually have small ones, such as the SGreen for Terran ships and the SVas for Vasudan ships). Having a significant number of anti-fighter beams is fair game for a cruiser (the Leviathan has four), but not too many capital-calibre beams (the most a retail FS2 ship has is three - on the Rakshasa). As Woolie said, the armament you wish to add suggests that you want a superdestroyer or juggernaut rather than a cruiser.

I don't intend to put you off, though - you have quite a nice model here. It's nice to have a new Vasudan capital ship, so keep on working on it. :)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Generally speaking nice work and it certainly has a vasudan feel to it, as for the fighter bay you can just as easily say it is two entry points for the same bay, lets face it the vasudans have launch tubes on both canon destroyer designs.

Criticism
- The armament as mentioned by others, to be honest if you halve the big beam count to 4-5 and use bgreen you have a nice heavy corvette (800 meters long or so), if you go down that route you dont want any intermediate sized beams just a good scattering of ant fighter weaponry (perhaps 4-5 AF type beams and some flack, you already have blobs which is good)
- The multi part turrets, something about them says terran to me, I think it is because the shape is very similar to what is used on many "terran" ships and not just from FS, not sure how to fix that though.

All in all, the shape is good, I love the "spine" and the bank of engines at the back.  cant wait to see what you do with this
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I really like the shape, but yeah, I think ou have your scales wrong for Freespace. Cruisers should be, well, no more than 400, 450m long before you hit corvette territory.

Ditch the fighterbays, and make it a 350m long mentu replacement though, and you'll have a winner I reckon, with the right texture job. And I guarantee you it'd see a lot more use as a cruiser than as a juggernaut. :nod:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If by "Vasudan Cruiser" you mean "Destroyer with less fighters and more guns" then it's OK, (though beams should be BVas, not BFGreens, since the latter are Terran and of a very large calibre). That designation wouldn't be correct in FS though, so it should be called a "Destroyer".

Hi guys and thanks for all your input! Honestly I'm glad the basic design is acceptable and yes I too had the Aten on my mind as I really liked the basic design of that one. Ok, Fighter bays are going to go as yes this is a Cruiser and really, it makes me feel better deleting them anyway. As for the beams, yes I'll go with the SVas since I have the turrets shown as I was thinking of making them like Trashmans, Battleship he has. The "scales" are actually somewhat like what you see on the GVD Psamtik destroyer's spine. Keep in mind, these are not the final look as I will smooth them some along with the rest of the ship once I get everything there. next up will be the smaller Anti-fighter/Bomber turrets with tipple barrels.

So now I'd like your opinions on how many slashers (if the Vasudans had that?) I might incorporate on this? good idea? No?

Thanks all!

Jadehawk

Offline Luis Dias

The first render put me off slightly, but then I saw all the others, and specially the back is very well done! Congrats. I do appreciate your comments viz a viz fighter bays, and I also think that with the right texturing, this will be awesome!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
You should totally turn those fighterbays into missile launchers, missiles are awesome.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Humm....Missile bays....now that's something different! Let me work on that and see. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Actually, the Vasudans DO have a type of missile... the Vasudan Flux Cannon.  As for beam firepower, I'd say 2 forward-dorsal, 2 aft-ventral.  To improve the firing arc, I'd say make the forward beams in sort of cheek-mounts, rather than those two bumps that look to be turrets between the forward prongs.  I also stand by my statement that it needs to be a bit chunkier.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I actually sort of like the shape of the multipart turrets--they make me think of the Thoth or Seth fighters.  I think it's the long, tank-like barrels that make them look terran to me.  Maybe you could snub them off or do something more unorthodox with that?  Also, the spine plating in the aft looks like a good idea to me, but I think the length of each plate and curvature from plate to plate as viewed from the side could be made more graceful without making it look overtly human.  Overall I dig the shape, and the engines are especially nice.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Oh, speaking of missiles...

...You really ought to try and use the flux cannon - I'd love to see that used for once.

In general, I really love the shape. I would state that the engines, though bound to be fairly unnoticable, are more Terran than Vasudan. I'd reference the new Hattie if a revision is up your avenue. The heavy gun turrets also look quite Terran, but I'm not sure how you'd make them more "Vasudan-ish" without arriving at a silly, impractical design. Other than that, you win, Sir!

:D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The Flux Cannon might be a bit heavy for it, I recall it being a Destroyer weapon.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Nothing uses the Flux Cannon.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
But Typhoon was supposed to, not to mention it actual DPS may be close (IIRC) to BGreen.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It's 'Typhon', not 'Typhoon' you boob.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL