Author Topic: Re: HTL Medusa  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
+1 for chilling out.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Sololop

Honestly. He's not NEAAAAR done, and everyone blasts off like their world has just imploded around them  :rolleyes:

I'm quite excited to see the direction this takes. (About the texturing)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Stuff that has nothing to do with the HTL Medusa
Also, we, at the FSU, will do what we see fit, kthnx.

Well, first of all, you can take that attitude and...

Actually no, I'm going to be calm about this. Take a look where the FSU board sits. It's not under hosted projects, it's under community projects. That's an important distinction. This superior "Father knows best" attitude from those of you who have badges simply has to stop. I recognize that you guys are doing the work, and that gives you a lot of creative control, but the media VPs are a special case project that affects every Freespace player. Just saying you'll do whatever you feel is best is a big middle finger to the rest of us.

Now, I know you're still only a kid, but that doesnt mean you can get away with that kind of bull**** attitude. Think before you post.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: Stuff that has nothing to do with the HTL Medusa

No, the ARTIST can do as they see fit. And the FSU (based on public opinion and TEAM aesthetics) can decide whether or not it is acceptable enough to include in the MediaVPs. And if some thing, any thing, is so controversial that TEAM and Public opinion are solidly against it, we will NOT simply apply a "stfu, it's going in anyway" behaviour.

However, with that said, I would like to address, again, the fact of feedback and input delivered. And not just in relation to the Medusa, but to all works done. Opinions and aesthetics differ. Disagreements will be had. Behaviours will happen that people will use against each other months and years on end. But the real opinions that matter are the constructive ones. The well formed ones that leave personal conjecture out of them. And the ones that happen closer to a models completion rather than its infancy.

It requires a fair amount of trust, and it's a trust that needs to go both ways. Especially seeing as how at this point in time, we have more work available and in front of us than we've ever had before. The results of which are going to take a while, but will be well worth it.

And besides, we'll also be doing our best to make sure that these models are available prior to the Release and we'll be doing additional drafting for Beta Testing as pre-Release flight checks, so there will be more than enough time for any truly outstanding issues to be addressed. Because the last thing that -I- personally want to hear about it somebody requesting an older version of something (outside of attempting to address a performance issue, and hopefully we'll be seeing less of that, especially since I happen to Approve of the MediaVP-Lite Edition being worked on)

To keep this on topic and return it to discussion on the Medusa: I love the model, and I trust in Sab0o to collaborate and communicate while the work is in progress to produce something outstanding.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Also, we, at the FSU, will do what we see fit, kthnx.

There were FSU members laughing their asses off at you for saying this bro

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
In a thread which has been repeatedly told to chill down and wait for Sab0o to add more to it, you feel the need to continue to agitate, which seems rather childish when coming from anyone, especially a global mod.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you all want to continue talking about the way FSU does things, take it to PMs or a new thread. Not here. Thank you.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
In a thread which has been repeatedly told to chill down and wait for Sab0o to add more to it, you feel the need to continue to agitate, which seems rather childish when coming from anyone, especially a global mod.

+1 Internet Win for this point has been Awarded to Hades. But this is not a ping-pong game. And if I have to put people into separate rooms, it won't be pretty.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I was one of the first to express confidence that Sab0o would do a fine job, and if you didn't get that I feel like reading comprehension is something a child would have issue with (not that this is a particular surprise to anyone). This isn't agitation, this is telling you to shape up - but if you have trouble discerning between the two I guess you need to take a step back and rethink what you're doing.

I trust the rest of the FSU to teach you how to behave. As Vasudan Admiral was saying last night, you still have to learn how to take criticism, how not to take it personally, and how to use it to improve your models (something Sab0o has done very well here.)

In the meantime you're going to continue disrupting threads and causing ****.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:47:09 am by General Battuta »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

I think you mean a "step back". And it's not up to the FSU or even the community at large to teach anyone how to behave, that is something that only time can provide.

but it's not helped any when people don't allow for that growth to take place by constantly holding the mistake of the past over someone or continue to display behaviours out of proportion to their position. Especially considering that the two posts have little if anything to do with each other. In one, yes, you outlined (and did a post-mortum on) the fine work done in the texture area. But then in the other, you rather trollishly picked a completely different point (which isn't really yours to address) to put out in a one-liner and unnecessarily (imo) so.

Let's see more regarding developing personal growth happening in a more private arena rather than in a public one, please. I'm more than happy to receive or be copied on any issues for the purpose of mediation or moderation in regards to any avenues.

¤[D+¬>

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This isn't a charity forum. We're not here to help impoverished and depressed teenagers with personality issues grow up into sterling citizens. The problems he causes in public will be addressed in public, and he can deal with it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
To expand, if he makes a statement about FSU policy which is basically a cover for his own bruised pride, and FSU members then refute it, that information is very much salient to a response.

He'll grow up, but if he wants to contribute in the meantime, he'll be held to the same standards as those he's working with.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I was one of the first to express confidence that Sab0o would do a fine job, and if you didn't get that I feel like reading comprehension is something a child would have issue with (not that this is a particular surprise to anyone). This isn't agitation, this is telling you to shape up - but if you have trouble discerning between the two I guess you need to take a step back and rethink what you're doing.
I didn't say a thing about your comments on Sab0o's abilities or the work so far produced by him, I, in fact, quoted the post which I responded to which had nothing to do with the actual model or texture, which instead was a snide remark that caused Zacam to feel a split was in order.

On the topic of 'disruptive ****', if you feel you need the need to give this information to me, then perhaps private messages would be a far better place for this instead of here.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

True point. But also irrelevant as far as I am concerned. Personal issues, due to gender, age or living or mental situations are irrelevant to the larger issue at hand. If you keep treating somebody poorly, don't be surprised when they continue to ACT poorly.

Treat them with some measure of respect EVEN in SPITE of what they do, and give enough time to see how that grows. Some people take longer than others to develop. There are worse examples of bad member behaivour around. And many of them are not contributing artists to any project. And say what you will about Hades, he does have a tendency for volunteering or handling time consuming tasks for no other reason than because they are there to be done. (Glow points, thruster scaling, beam resizing) The fact that any one of these are controversial isn't an issue with him or about him, those issues will exist regardless of who is doing them. And while his enthusiasm could be better written in his posts when he tackles how issues are presented to him, it is not helped any when critisisms that are devlivered to him, hold against him WHO he is in addition to what he is doing. We need more of the latter, and less of the former, if we want to see improvements on the core personality.

I for one, regardless of what growth Hades may need to develop, will always respect the merit of his work and his modeling.

¤[D+¬>

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What the **** is this, how many of these threads do we need

Anyway, you've got my opinion on the topic, Hades is presumably going to be dragged into line and stop making ridiculous statements about FSU, and everyone can live happily after.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

I will take whatever actions for conduct (especially in terms of the FSU Forums and its members) that are deemed necessary. But anything that I do can be completely undone by OTHER people (who REALLY should know better) based on them continuing to deliver against somebody in the same way as they always have.

This will now stay locked, as I see that it will not serve a constructive purpose.
(and because I'm really getting to a point where I'm going to start Gibbs-Slapping people, but that's neither here nor there and really only being mentioned for the humor value)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 11:15:48 am by Zacam »

¤[D+¬>

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, let it be noted for the record that this reaction was not somehow confined to Axem or me, and that more than one global mod (see BlackWolf) responded the same way. You can ask us to give Hades special treatment, but ultimately what can we do except react to the things he does?

If someone says something profoundly stupid, it's gonna get called out as profoundly stupid, no matter who you are.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

And I have nothing against how Black Wolf responded. I in fact quite found his post to be the best one in terms of addressing the issue in regards to the statement that shouldn't have been made. In fact, this ENTIRE conversation on the subject could have nicely have been ended (and should have been) when his post was made.

I'm not, in any way shape or form, saying that stupidity or mistakes shouldn't be corrected. But. There is a right way of doing it, and an asinine/trollish knee-jerk wrong way of doing it. And I'm getting a little tired of seeing most of it being done via the latter rather than the former.

Now, can we color this closed or continued in private please?

¤[D+¬>

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, first of all, you can take that attitude and...

There were FSU members laughing their asses off at you for saying this bro

I honestly have no idea where this is coming from. There is no content difference between his posts in this thread and mine, they're just distributed differently.

I can't accept this input if it's inconsistent like this. You can feel free to take it to PM though.