Author Topic: POF importer for Blender - WIP  (Read 7475 times)

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
POF importer for Blender - WIP
Now, why hasn't anyone made a POF import/export script for Blender yet?  It's Python--it can't be that hard to write, especially with so much documentation on the file format.
Write it then.
Maybe I will! :P

After studying POF data structure and Blender import scripting very carefully (read: after skimming through pages of documentation and hacking together some code), I think I have a small proof-of-concept for a POF import script for Blender.  It's obviously incomplete; all it really imports right now is the shield mesh.  As I go along with coding the rest of it, I'll try to follow the Blender to POF guide on the wiki as closely as possible.  I'll try to get the import fully-functional (except for texturing) by the end of this week.  An export script might have to wait until this summer.

Anyway, please download it and drop it in your Blender scripts folder and let me know if it works.  I've tested it on my computer, running Linux with Blender 2.49 and Python 2.6.5, but it should theoretically work on Windows or Mac with any Blender 2.4x release.  I've tested it with Fighter2T-02.pof and Bomber04.pof, and the shield mesh came up just fine both times.  This proof-of-concept is based on an earlier proof-of-concept that simply ran through all the POF chunks (except BSP data) and printed it to the command line.  I've attached both, if you want to take a look.  I'll be keeping the latest version here until I make an actual release.

The archive contains four Python scripts: bsp.py and pof.py simply read BSP and POF information from a .pof file and outputs the info to the command-line.  bsp_import.py and pof_import.py go into Blender's scripts folder, and import .pof files into Blender.  pof_import.py currently imports object and subobject geometry, shield geometry, a few helper empties (muzzleflashes and center of mass), and texture/uv mapping.  bsp_import.py imports BSP sortnorms from the first detail level of a .pof file as bounding boxes, and isn't really of much use, except as a curiosity.

A note on texturing and UV-mapping:
It doesn't seem to import correctly for all files.  For one, it should be noted that on Unix-based systems, the texture filenames are case-sensitive.  The script looks for (in this order) DDS, TGA, PNG, and JPG textures in "../maps," "./," "./maps," and "./data/maps."  I'll try to add something to let it ask for the texture locations and/or remove its case-sensitivity in the future.  Also, it seems that some models don't map correctly.  On those models, some detail levels, all subobjects, and all debris seem to texture just fine.  For example, detail-0 and detail-2 of Fighter2T-02.pof (Herc II) have trouble.  The UV map itself has faces in all the right places, it's just that they're not the right faces.  interesting note: Capital01.pof (Orion) seems to texture just fine.  Lastly, the importer doesn't create materials for the textures, only UV layers.  To get the models to render with the textures, you need to assign a material to them with "TexFace" (in the materials buttons, material tab) enabled.  You can use the same material for all models, and they'll use their own textures.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:29:30 am by Kopachris »
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: POF importer for Blender - WIP

YAY! This will be awesome, since one of the -biggest- Upgrade issues we have is the conversion from POF into something usable.

Granted, PCS2 now mitigates that to a great degree by letting one open the POF and save to DAE, but not everything imports DAE as nicely as it should (or occasionally export).

As Blender is one of the most popular (followed I think by Wings3D, Max then TrueSpace) having a single step process can only serve to speed things along.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Oh, great timing! I had Blender 2.49 deleted two months back and replaced it with 2.5 beta but it lacks dae importing capabilities so I was stuck, with this I might have an opportunity! :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
You sir, are a hero.  I wish something like this had existed when I first started modding. 
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
awesome, defiantly keeping an eye on this one.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh, great timing! I had Blender 2.49 deleted two months back and replaced it with 2.5 beta but it lacks dae importing capabilities so I was stuck, with this I might have an opportunity! :yes:
Sorry, I'm currently using Blender 2.49, so a 2.5-compatible script won't be coming for a while.  That said, I'm making progress on the import script (a new version is attached).  I've never worked with BSP data (or much binary data at all) before, so this is a huge step for me.  Behold Fighter2T-02.pof:

I still need to get Blender to import subobjects hierarchically and import extra data (gun points, viewpoint, etc.) as empty meshes.  After that, I'll try to figure out texturing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:12:06 pm by Kopachris »
----

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I see... well I might look into it to see if I can make it work with 2.5, just to kill some time.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Have you considered working with PMF instead? (Or even contributing to PCS2?)

Are there any specifics on what the problem is with 2.5?

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Do you have a guide to running PCS2 on Linux?  If you do, that would help.  My main goal with writing an importer for Blender was to get around having to use Collada or Truespace as an intermediate format; it isn't to get around PCS2 entirely, unless there is no way to satisfactorily run PCS2 on Linux.  As it is, I might write the export script for PMF instead of POF to avoid having to figure out how to make a BSP tree.  In that case, some documentation on the format that would let me avoid looking through the PCS2 source code would help.
----

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken