Author Topic: Hacked files discussion - split from Feature wishlist  (Read 7005 times)

Offline Shade

Re: Hacked files discussion - split from Feature wishlist
That is one possible cause of it. But as I've explained in an earlier post, it won't actually work, due to the safeguards already in place.

There can be many other, and often innocent, cause of that problem though. Not applying the patch to retail FreeSpace 2, for example. Or forgetting to turn off a mod before playing multi.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Ok, that makes more sense now, thanks.

Anyways, we could always help people solve any problems they may be having such as having hacked tables, but in the overall stance of preventing it from changing the experience of any other players in any way, I still think that the best options are to either prevent them from joining, or download backup copies from the servers everytime they play Multi. That second option of course requires the servers to be storing and transferring a lot more data, a lot more often, and as a "Free" game this is not optimal.

Please play multi first.
Then you can have opinions :<
Although I do wish the hacked tables error reporting was a little more robust, there's no need for any of what you're suggesting, in fact, most of it is counter productive.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There is no way to distinguish between someone altering tbl files for getting an advantage, and someone who hasn't, for example, have the 1.2 root vp. Both will result in a "Hacked tables" warning.

Also, we really, really do not have so many players for cheating to be a problem. Really.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Okeedokey.

Offline PMY

If FS2NetD can't validate FSPort, BP or WoD files... then why not just add these sets to FS2NetD?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Don't know about the port, but I think both the WoD and the BP multi packs are still under construction. They're definitely not ready to be validated yet.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Shade

Yep, for something to be validated it needs to be balanced, stable, and above all, static. No point validating something that changes every few days, since any change will break validation. So, as they're still in development, the BP and WoD multi packs just don't qualify yet.

The Port might, I suppose. I guess the main reason it isn't validated is that the team behind it hasn't decided it should be - Never forget that it's up to the mod teams themselves (or some officially-sanctioned volunteer, like bigchunk for the BP multi project) to get the ball rolling on something like this. Of course, there'd need to be a fair amount of testing to make sure it's warning-free and stable in multi, but that should certainly be doable should the Port team want to do it.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

It should also be noted that they'd probably have to conform to around FS2s points or medal structure in regards to both difficulty and reward..
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
A way to validate mods has not been implemented yet.  FSPort is a mod not a TC so at this point it can't be validated.  It would either require a separate daemon on FS2netD and config files added to the port to use it or network and validation code changes. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
I guess that makes a good addition to the feature request list, then.
Having Mods separated for validation would be better, imo than having them all in one place... or could they co-exist in the same space without too many issues?
Signed, me

I know this is a really old thread... but anyway I just wanted to say that at one point in time I really hoped fsport would be validated so that I can relive the good old days of FS1. But considering that the active playing population is so minimal (even compared to diablo 2) and that it will still be using FS2's medal and advancement system, perhaps there's not much point in having it.

It might happen eventually (read; no plans for it to be done), but really they'd probably have to see an uptake in multi for the FSO guys to see it as worth the time.