Author Topic: Request: Tech room description template  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Kusanagi

• A man, a van, a plan, Vanama!
  • Enemy vessel captured
Request: Tech room description template
Hey MJN! Gratz on the board!

I have an interesting request for ya.

Would it be possible to create a "template" file for 3DSM that functions like a tech room render, where those of us with our own models for weapons/missiles/ships would be able to drop in our own models and render a tech room cutscene?

I don't know how much of it you do in post-processing after getting the render from MAX, but say, a few different templates:

1: Standard 90 frame tech animation, where the first 30 frames show the ship being drawn and the other 60 are the ship rotating, like retail anims that we can loop with keyframes

2: More specific tech animation where the model is rotated around and shown from several angles, with the ability to add text at several points to "point out" various objects, or what each view is showcasing. There are a few retail animations like this.

Just a thought.
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum
primum daemon scelestus est.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Request: Tech room description template
I actually already use a template for the FS2 style ones. However, pretty much all of it is done in After Effects except the actual model rotation which is done in 3ds Max. Releasing that template wouldn't really work because without After Effects it's useless and without some of the 3rd-party plugin effects I used, it's even more useless.

Can't really do a 'template' for the 2nd suggestion because it would be different every time. This one is a lot like the FS1 style animations, which I did develop a method for, but not a template.

However, if there are certain tech animations you want made in those styles (especially the FS2 style), I can whip those up pretty darned quick for you which is sorta the purpose of this board. Of course I have a few requests already that I've been slowly working on.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
What are the third party plugins you use?

I have Aftereffects CS5 with the Cycore and Trapcode suites...even knowing how you do what you do would be a tremendous help.
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
 :wtf:

If you have the money to buy all that software, you should know how to use it to make something as simple as the techroom animations...

Start by working with solids and glow effects to see what you can come up with.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
:wtf:

If you have the money to buy all that software, you should know how to use it to make something as simple as the techroom animations...

Start by working with solids and glow effects to see what you can come up with.

I do plenty of video editing, the issue is in MAX which I am not too familiar with. Do you render the movements in MAX then chroma them out, or use AE on the raw video from the render?
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum