Author Topic: GTVA activity during AoA?  (Read 5094 times)

Offline -Norbert-

GTVA activity during AoA?
When the 14th battlegroup vanished without a trace, surely they wouldn't just sit on their hands and do nothing, hoping they might turn up again.
So what did they do?
Were they unable to muster a replacement force in time, or did they call off the invasion till they knew what happened?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: GTVA activity during AoA?
Read The Reunion. The GTVA didn't send in another force right after the first disappeared because they didn't know what the hell was going on. Instead, they moved the reserve ships from the 4th Fleet to blockade the Sol Gate in case the UEF had somehow managed to annihilate the 14th and were planning an invasion.

Quote from: The Reunion
During the time that the 14th had been absent (between the initial transit and its abrupt return several days later), GTVA High Command had moved the waiting Fourth Fleet into a defensive posture, believing that the UEF had destroyed the 14th Battlegroup. The fear was that the Elders, having interrogated GTVA survivors, might be preparing a breakout towards Beta Aquilae.

Offline -Norbert-

With SOC and spy probes and all that, they must have learned at some point before the re-appearance of the 14th that they were not destroyed in battle.
And even if they had not, they must have done some more than just sit there and tiddle their thumbs waiting for a supposedly superiour enemy force to attack.

I don't know the exact timespan of AoA, but I'd estimate at the very least a full month. Surely the GTVA wouldn't just sit around doing pretty much nothing for a full month, would they? The blockade and all is very nice and official, but I'd like to know what was going on behind the scenes... in the areas that are only on the classified records... or completely off any records.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It was several days.

The exact same quote:

During the time that the 14th had been absent (between the initial transit and its abrupt return several days later), GTVA High Command had moved the waiting Fourth Fleet into a defensive posture, believing that the UEF had destroyed the 14th Battlegroup. The fear was that the Elders, having interrogated GTVA survivors, might be preparing a breakout towards Beta Aquilae.

If your top-of-the-line battle group has just disappeared without a trace, do you really send in another fleet immediately?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Especially if your probes show that there's no mention at all of anything unusual happening on the other side. And then there are the variables involved in the Sol gate, the new ships.....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline -Norbert-

I wasn't talking about sending in ships.... or for that matter sending anything manned through the node. I wanted to know what their higher ups and black ops were up to, what kind of plans the drew up and such.
But since I overestimated the time period by quite a big margin, I guess that's a moot point now.

Though I'm still interested how the Vasudans took the disappearance of the 14th battlegroup.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
As stated, they moved the 4th in to defend the gate in case **** went down and the 14th really was destroyed. They probably momentarily reconsidered their declarations of war.

Offline Regent

If they had sent in any probes into the Sol gate after the 14th disappeared, would they go to the alternate universe Sol or the UEF-occupied version?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Probably the UEF occupied reality.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The event that drew the 14th battlegroup was an isolated one, and it is strongly hinted in BP that it has been triggered by the Vishnans. It's clear that it was isolated since transit occurred normally after they returned.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline -Norbert-

Also I remember something about the meson reactors having something to do with the incident and I highly doubt small throwaway probes would be fitted with such state of the art reactor technology, or any reactor at all come to think of it.
Giving them one-shot jumpdrives and a battery, maybe with solar panels to extend the operating time, would be a much better use of ressources. Also I imagine a reactor is going to make a probe easier to detect than solar panels and a battery.

But I'd still like to know how the Vasudans reacted to such news.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:13:45 pm by -Norbert- »

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Meson fluctuation, yes. Stereotypically when your reactor suddenly starts to have an energy surge when you're going through space/subspace/hyperspace/nullspace/ultraspace/nospace/myspace you're bound to either explode, go into another universe, go back in time, mutate, come out mangled or something.

The Vasudans, merging mythical/philosophical thingies with science, probably might think quite a lot about the news. Especially since this...Jester...Vasudan was inducted to Khonsu's circle.

Offline -Sara-

Maybe it got covered up entirely and the Vasudans may not know. They're not on all great terms.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Which raises a question from me - What is is that got the Vasudans involved in the Sol War? Did the Terran side of the GTVA tell them about the 'misjump,' thereby prompting action from the Emperor? IIRC, the Vasudans have said before that they refused to be involved, and given how cool relations have been in the last few years I doubt they jumped in simply to help their Terran allies. Surely Khonsu has some other motive.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I think the Vasudans got fully logistically involved after the logistics/Elder splashing incident.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The main Vasudan motive for helping the Tevs logistically is that they too are starting to get worried about the length of this war. The GTVA knows that the Shivans could come back at any moment, so the longer the war last, the more vulnerable the Tevs and Zods will be to their return.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Also; increasing the size of the GTVA by 1/3rd

Offline -Norbert-

But it is ironic. First they are displeased that the Terrans put to much effort into building the portal and now they are helping in the conquest of the terretories the portal connected them to.

Crap, I forgot the Zods didn't pledge actual offensive support until after the negotiations incident. I'm an idiot, sorry guys.

Offline crizza

Well, but they are yet to appear offensive.
My guess, the Zods will protect their logistic ships quite fiercly...look at sunglare...a Hati, a Sobek, several Aeolus...an AWACs...could be an entire battlegruop just to make sure, the GEF will not dare to attack any Zod ship in the near future, no matter, if this incident was orchestrated by Steele or not.
But what would happen, if the emperor got to know about Steeles gambit?
Surely the Zods would be realy pissed^^