Author Topic: Replace SGreens with ULTRA anti-fighter beams  (Read 21705 times)

Re: Replace SGreens with ULTRA anti-fighter beams
My point is that, with or without SGreens, the most important thing for a lone Aeolus to have if it runs into a hostile warship is its subspace drive.

Implying that it isn't already.

I did say "with or without". ;)

Offline -Norbert-

Note to BP devs: Consider replacing blob turrets on Hyperion with terran version of VEF.
What is VEF?

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Screw Aeolus. I'd be more concerned with performance of the Hyperion, the supposedly next-gen cruiser which honestly doesn't have that big of an advantage over Aeolus.

Note to BP devs: Consider replacing blob turrets on Hyperion with terran version of VEF.

The Hyperion's problems are more because of the model itself, as I recall the FS2 GVC Mentu had similar problems.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What is VEF?
Vasudan Energy Flak maybe

Offline crizza

Has someone actually tested what would happen, if a Narayana actually fires only its missiles at an Aeolus with ULTRAs?

Offline -Norbert-

I just read up on the weapons in the tech room again and found a good reason not to use the ultra AAA on the Aeolus.
The tech describtion states that the additional firepower and range of it come by building in a little reactor into the weapon. Sounds good, but it comes with a rather massive downside. To fit that reactor in, you have to take out any and all targeting systems and completely slave the weapon into some external targeting system like the TAGs... or I suppose you could let a gunner aim it manually, but then it would need to become much more inaccurate than it is now.

Offline crizza

BTW: Tested it in Fred, an Aeolus doesn't stand a chance against Apo-spam^^

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Has someone actually tested what would happen, if a Narayana actually fires only its missiles at an Aeolus with ULTRAs?
Completely nullified the Narayana's missiles, and held out decently against TWO Narayanas.

All ships with Balls of Steele AI, of course.

I just read up on the weapons in the tech room again and found a good reason not to use the ultra AAA on the Aeolus.
The tech describtion states that the additional firepower and range of it come by building in a little reactor into the weapon. Sounds good, but it comes with a rather massive downside. To fit that reactor in, you have to take out any and all targeting systems and completely slave the weapon into some external targeting system like the TAGs... or I suppose you could let a gunner aim it manually, but then it would need to become much more inaccurate than it is now.
I wonder why BP canon does it that way because there's something called sensor and weapons subsystems...

Offline crizza

Strange, one Narayana against one Aeolus with FOUR Ultras...and the Aeolus was simply wasted...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I wonder why BP canon does it that way because there's something called sensor and weapons subsystems...

...which have no effect on the accuracy of beams, and never have....

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
If they did I wouldn't waste my time on missions disarming ships. I'd just pop those subsystems and bugger off to kill fighters.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well the weapons subsystem does affect the accuracy of blob turrets. Which is a negligible difference, really.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It does help bombing a lot, since blobs are the main source of bomb intercepting. This is however, in most cases, not really worth the effort.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Negligible? Between intercepting four out of every five of your wingmen's bombs with the weapons subsystem intact and stray-shotting one out of every 15 bombs without, I'd say it's a huge difference.

Offline Qent

Without a weapons subsystem, turrets won't target bombs at all. So the only shots that will hit are intended for another target.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Qent has a big point there. Instead of manually blowing up each turret on the enemy ship you could just knock out the weapons subsystem so more bombs hitting the ship in a shorter amount of time.

Strange, one Narayana against one Aeolus with FOUR Ultras...and the Aeolus was simply wasted...
What are you doing with the Aeolus? My Aeolus had only it's SGreens replaced with Ultras and completely blew the Narayana's missile screen off the face of Neptune, yet yours with four Ultras was blown up...?

Tip: You do not put the Aeolus near the Narayana or tell the Aeolus to attack the Narayana when it only has Ultras.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Also, Crizza, did you set ships to use Balls of Stelle AI (better use Little Devil, BoS makes turret ROF go beyond normal values) and locked the main guns on Narayana?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Little Devil is probably a bit excessive.

Offline crizza

The Narayana was disabled and the Aeolus was going straight towards her broadside, AI was BoS, sure, it intercepted a good number of Apos, but when it was too close, the shokwaves did their job.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
IIRC, BP-General is the best 'normal' AI used for normal gameplay isn't it, Battuta?
the Aeolus was going straight towards her broadside
Well there's your problem.