Author Topic: Guild Wars 2  (Read 11277 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So, anyone planning on getting into this one?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I actually had some random tidbit in me saying that I should probably try it out.

Then again, I will probably not be able to sink a lot of time into it, which apperently is vital for long term MMO enjoyment.

Am I planning on buying a high-quality MMO with no monthly fees and a minimum of grinding?  Yes!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Am I planning on buying a high-quality MMO with no monthly fees and a minimum of grinding?  Yes!

I'm pretty sure you're talking about something else.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

So what, is Guild Wars 2 going to charge monthly fees and have a huge level cap?  I heard they were going to use the same model Guild Wars 1 did.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So what, is Guild Wars 2 going to charge monthly fees and have a huge level cap?  I heard they were going to use the same model Guild Wars 1 did.

You may be the first person I've heard suggest that GW1 wasn't grindy, though.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Compared to something like WoW it was certainly less of a grind.  The level cap in Guild Wars is only 20, and you can level up somewhat quickly doing story quests instead of randomly going out into the woods and hitting things with swords.

Offline Mikes

You may be the first person I've heard suggest that GW1 wasn't grindy, though.

Name one other MMO where you can enjoy every single bit of content, including endgame dungeons and competitive PvP, without having to grind for one minute. ;)

Grind in Guildwars has always been purely optional. It's still rather unique in that respect.

If you fail to see the rather huge difference to mainstream MMO's you kinda missed one of the main features of the game.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:50:25 pm by Mikes »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I pre-purchased GW2 a while ago and this weekend will be the first beta event I will be participating in.

The interesting thing is that the whole game consists of only two files. A compressed gw2.dat file that contains all game assets, currently sitting at 15.3 GB. And gw2.exe, the launcher that downloads updates and launches the game. There are two additional files created when the launcher is ran, chrome.log and Gw2.tmp. Both are usually empty.

The interesting thing is how GW2 uses single humongous file for assets. Seems to work very well for them. Since this beta is not under NDA, I'll be reporting my impressions on the beta weekend later.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The interesting thing is that the whole game consists of only two files. A compressed gw2.dat file that contains all game assets, currently sitting at 15.3 GB. And gw2.exe, the launcher that downloads updates and launches the game. There are two additional files created when the launcher is ran, chrome.log and Gw2.tmp. Both are usually empty.

The interesting thing is how GW2 uses single humongous file for assets. Seems to work very well for them.
Not a new concept. For example, the Homeworld games do that, for the most part. There's usually a bunch of folders with config files and dlls all around though.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
My lvl 10 charr engineer posing in the Black Citadel.

So far GW2 is very good MMO. It is definitely the next generation of MMO's, developers really have taken their time to see what was wrong in previous MMO's and made a lot of gameplay improvements. And best of all, no monthly fee.

Spoon and I are currently testing out new races and classes, and right now we're both Charr.  He's an Engineer, I'm a Thief, and we're both trying use as much dakka as we can.  The Charr starting area happens to be much better than the Norn one we were in previously, which could be a copy/paste from World of Warcraft.

I'm SpardaSon.9834 by the way if any of you want to friend me.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken