Author Topic: [RELEASE] Constellation Class Space Station (Formerly Zero-G Manufacturing)  (Read 9029 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
[RELEASE] Constellation Class Space Station (Formerly Zero-G Manufacturing)
[EDIT]RELEASED - Get the Download Here.

The Constellation type space-station is a multi-purpose orbital facility, used widely throughout GTVA space. The first Constellations were launched in 2317 as zero-gee manufacturing facilities, and many still serve in this role, however the simplicity of design and low price of construction has made these small stations attractive prospects for modification and customisation. Constellation variants can now be encountered performing a large number of additional roles, such as orbital dormitories, research outposts, shipyard control centres and customs depots. Although typically unarmed, the GTA produced a small number of lightly armed Constellations for use during the Terran-Vasudan war, and, although relatively uncommon, a small number of these are still produced to this day.

For... the better part of a decade now I've been saying that we need more civilian stuff for FS2, and particularly more small installations. Finally decided to do something about that myself. If you've been in IRC much, you might have seen this, but for those who've not:

Now, the reason I've made this instead of FREDding is that I'm (finally) going back out to work for 8 days tomorrow, and I wanted a project I could take with me on a netbook - UVing this thing will be that project. But, before I do that, I figure'd I'd throw up a quick shot of the model and ask for some suggestions to improve it - normally, I'd be happy to trust my own judgement, but I've already had one really clever suggestion from Zacam (the sliding inner clamps on the "arms" sticking out the side), and who knows what else people might suggest. But I'm really only interested in making small changes - primarily because once I leave (in about 24 hours) I won't be able to make changes again until after I get back, at which point it should be UVed, and I don't want to be changing geometry then (except to fix errors).

Bit of information about what it's supposed to be - as I said, it's a small outpost - very small by FS standards. Discarding the prongs, that main body is scaled to about 170m tall - the full thing is around 300m from memory. This is designed so that the girders from the modular construction kit (which are 10mx10m in cross section) fit snugly into those clamps. The idea in terms of in-universe use is that it's a Zero-G manufacturing facility for things like transparent Aerogel and electronics crystals - those six pods are areas outside of the zero gravity area (and yes, I understand the fridge-logic issues of having both artifical gravity and the need to go to space for zero G, but work with me here :p). But, of course, there are a myriad of other uses for small installations like this - scientific research stations, listening posts, refueling stations, terraforming control stations, even pirate bases - anywhere you need to put a small group of people in one place for an extended period of time.

So, any ideas before I head into Lith?

[EDIT]Oh, and there has been one small change since this pic was UL - that "door" looking thing on the side has been recessed into the main body - makes it look better, IMO, but also somehow a bit sparse on the side there.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:54:52 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Re: Outpost - 24 hours left to model
Could model in a small docking station or platform for supplying the station somewhere.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Could model in a small docking station or platform for supplying the station somewhere.
O if it's possible: Give this outpost the Docking Pad from the Modular Construction Kit.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah it'd be nice if this could be integrated into the modular construction kit somehow.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yeah it'd be nice if this could be integrated into the modular construction kit somehow.

Never fear, it will be. Pretty much anything I model these days is designed in some way to integrate with the kit. :)
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
For anyone interested, the UV on this is now done. Took 2 swings rather than one, but no matter. Will be texturing it slowly over the next couple of weeks/months, working around other projects. Will probably release it on completion, since I currently have no plans which would warrant keeping it exclusive.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Darius

Very interested :) Good to hear.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
My only suggestion from a design standpoint is that you say this is intended to produce crystals or gel, but there's no appearance of a
loading dock, or export/producing section.... you've got what appears to be storage tanks on the side, but they look to be fixed.

Generally any production facility has an in... and an out.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
My only suggestion from a design standpoint is that you say this is intended to produce crystals or gel, but there's no appearance of a
loading dock, or export/producing section.... you've got what appears to be storage tanks on the side, but they look to be fixed.

Generally any production facility has an in... and an out.

I can see a specialized freighter which could pick up and drop off those storage tanks (they look removable). The facility could have a bay which services two tanks at a time, and when its done the whole then slides off and onto the freighter.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
:bump:
So, this didn't get forgotten.

Link - http://i47.tinypic.com/aph2e8.jpg

Link - http://i48.tinypic.com/2ro511c.jpg

Obviously very much still a WiP, but it will get finished... eventually. :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:22:42 am by Black Wolf »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Zero Gee Manufacturing Facility (Updated 28/10/12)
Still going. Just imagebin this time, since I'm fairly close to done:
http://imagebin.org/233625
http://imagebin.org/233626

Need to darken up the panel lines on the side, tweak the UV and the finish the last black polies. Aiming it have it done tonight or tomorrow, but poffing will take a little while.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!

That's sans glow, shine or normal maps. Quite happy with how this one turned out :D
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
is Nice.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Urgh. It's hanging up on the generation of the cache file, almost certainly as a result of my cheap and dirty way of generating debris and destroyed submodels. Redoing the debris is not something I can be bothered with for the moment, so this one'll have to wait until I get back from work next week. Sorry guys.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Heh? Could you just post the POF? Might be possible to save it.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Heh? Could you just post the POF? Might be possible to save it.

I want to try to work this one out on my own. I'm sure I know what's wrong, it's just a matter of actually doing the work to fix it - I need the conversion practice anyway. Thanks for the offer though.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Well, this is ****ting me right to tears. As far as I know, the pof file works. It works for other people, but it doesn't work for me. Loads in FRED, loads in the lab, can't load it in mission, so I can't test it, can't finalise dockpoints, turrets and stuff. I'll get it eventually, but for now it's on hold.

[EDIT]And now it looks like it's coated in UV errors too. Need to do a lot more work it seems. :\
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:19:12 am by Black Wolf »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Zero Gee Manufacturing Facility (Updated 10/11/12)
Moving along nicely now. This is what the clamps are meant for.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:04:16 am by Black Wolf »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
What's that inside the girders?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
What's that inside the girders?
Orestes. Repair ship from Twisted Infinities. A... HTL of it? Looks cool, the same as the station :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.