Author Topic: Feature request: glow points should act as lens flares  (Read 8328 times)

Offline Nighteyes

Feature request: glow points should act as lens flares
think about it, glow points on ships, missiles and engines are all representing light sources... thus should act like real lens flares(like our new suns)

I've been adding glow points to capships engines to test it out, and found a strange behavior for large radius glow points(radius of 50-200):
when you fly close to the engine, the glow point would move towards you and go bright until you fly through it, instead of staying at the position of the engine, I have no idea why this is happening, and even if this is intentional, it looks very strange, the glow point should stay where I put it.

other glow point problems is that they don't shut off when a capship dies, IMO when a capship enters the death roll phase glowpoints, as well as the glow map should turn off, the ship is splitting in 2, I doubt the electricity is still working at this stage...

screenshots will follow a bit later as im not on my FS computer atm

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: Feature request: glow points should act as lens flares
the glow map should turn off, the ship is splitting in 2, I doubt the electricity is still working at this stage...

when ever this is brought up I ask should the glow map on the flaming debris also get shut off?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
But I use the glow map in my damage chunks...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Nighteyes

guys,  the debris object is a separate object, if you want have the glow map "on" so that you can have some glowing hot metal and such, thats fine, what I'm talking about is the actual model that is splitting apart, the original whole ship(glow map and glow points should turn off when its starting its death roll)

also for the old way of having debris using 2 maps(original and damage), the glow map can turn off on the original and stay on for the damage texture...

now, back on topic, glow maps rendered as flares, this is what I have in mind:
its a bit strong, and I still need to play a bit with the mipmaps, maybe have it activate only when far away/close

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Well, wow. Amazing, really - I can't wait to see this feature fully implemented. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Nighteyes

some more screenshots:

Offline Nighteyes

and here is the ugly problem with the glow points not acting as lens flares, basically the same problem we once had with our suns...

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
good job Nighteyes...i'd like to see it in Diaspora once is finished :)
i think this effect and the thruster distortion should work really good in-game
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Nighteyes

Diaspora won't have anything like this, do you remember seeing anything like this in the show? if it wasn't in the show, I won't add it, Freespace on the other hand... I have a bit more creative freedom  ;)

This looks very very good. The effect may need to be a little toned down as you said before but I love it. Especially perfect in screenshots, curious how it's in actual movement. Do you think you could post a small video demonstrating it's effect, so I can get a better idea of the effect? Thanks in advance ;)
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
well,i was thinkin that tuning down the effect could fit and give a more realistic look.
Anyway, i think that the effect needs to be blink as you see in this video,but more faster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpwI_O9CY-A

Sorry but i haven't found a better example than this :P
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Woaw !! Could you give us your glow point effect ? :) I really like it.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
and here is the ugly problem with the glow points not acting as lens flares, basically the same problem we once had with our suns...

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/5166/screen0034r.jpg

Alright, let me explain how the lensflares work. It's basically on or off. It's not sorted. Thanks to the Z-Mode change it's simply on top of all other objects. No problem so far, but we need to determine when it's supposed to be on or off.  This is done by a raycast. If the ray is blocked by geometry, the flare is turned off.

A hand full of raycasts for the suns are no problem. Once we do it for all glowpoints on every single ship, it might become a problem.
I am not a coder, so I can't say how bad it will be, but I doubt it will be cheap.

On the other hand, there is a better way to do it, but it requires HDR rendering. We could add a streak bloom effect to everything on the screen that is very bright. (Actually brighter than the white your display.)
That would give specular highlights a "flare" effect as well... and everything else bright.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Didn't Valathil implement HDR at some point?
He's working so fast I lost track of all the improvements he made.  :)
Anyway, that's not a bad idea.

Offline Nighteyes

thats an option, but will be problematic in missions that are very bright, like atmospheric missions... can someone test out this raycast thing? it might be a very simple check that will not even affect FPS, also having the control over lens flares for various effects would be awesome, think about it, together with the mipmaps trick, you can have simple things like lasers wizzing by your screen create a bright flare  :)

anyway, here is a video showcasing the flares as someone asked here, its also showing the problem with the glow points dissapearing before the center point is out of screen, the grow big, bit vanish before they should(seems like even Volition thought of using them as lens flares :P )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oADXodHXS0w

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is a bad idea.  I do not want FSO to turn into the latest Star Trek movie.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is a bad idea.  I do not want FSO to turn into the latest Star Trek movie.

This is a bad post. Sorry. Because you do not like a visual element does not mean you should actively try to keep it from being available for other mods to use. If you don't like all the lens flares, then don't play Nighteyes' mod. The solution, however, is not to keep this feature from being added.

EDIT: Deja Vu Am I the only one that doesn't like seeing "I think that's ugly, don't add that feature" posts? (With the implication seeming to be that we must limit people to creating what is only generally acceptable.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:09:27 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
thats an option, but will be problematic in missions that are very bright, like atmospheric missions... can someone test out this raycast thing? it might be a very simple check that will not even affect FPS, also having the control over lens flares for various effects would be awesome, think about it, together with the mipmaps trick, you can have simple things like lasers wizzing by your screen create a bright flare  :)

anyway, here is a video showcasing the flares as someone asked here, its also showing the problem with the glow points dissapearing before the center point is out of screen, the grow big, bit vanish before they should(seems like even Volition thought of using them as lens flares :P )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oADXodHXS0w
I like how they appear on FRED. :lol:
Anyway, this looks awesome.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think that lens flares over glowpoints are a bit of stretch (thrusters are fine though, as long as the effect is subtle). On the other hand, making glow points render like lens flares (on top of everything else) and using raycasting (or HDR, if I understood this correctly) to make them disappear when obscured is a good idea.

Offline Nighteyes

this is what I mean, on very bright parts like thrusters a flare could be seen, Goober, don't worry too much I know and hate the lens flares in film like the new star strek, I do however love it when its used subtly, look at mass effect for reference to awesome looking lens flares... keep them subtle and on very specific things and it can look amazing.