I am not exactly sure what's the policy for using models outside TBP. I heard it was restricted. Is it still the case ?
Wat? You're probably referring to IPAndrews temperamental statement that TBP3.4b was final and not to be touched/modified. Be that as it may, it's not up to a single member of such a collaborative project to decide which assets can be used by others.
For example, contributions to the original Omega:
- Modeled by tomcat (who just recently released all his assets to the public)
- Textured by Cpt White or tomcat (not sure anymore)
- Glowmaps and specular maps by me
- Reconverted with the (then latest) autofacet PCS build for better smoothing by me and IPAndrews
- Glowpoints by Skullar (IIRC)
So, who should get the power to decide who can use it outside of TBP... all of us, none of us? As far as I'm concerned, we stick to the old TBP policy, that assets can be used elsewhere, as long as proper credit is given. This worked fine in the past (there's a GalCivII mod using TBP models for example), and was back then also agreed by IPA.
For the record, this version here recycles some geometry and textures from the original. And as long as the maker of the original textures has no objections, can be used freely. If he has, I'll remake the damn textures from scratch.