Author Topic: Original Darius storyline??  (Read 5232 times)

Original Darius storyline??
Was just wondering if after this part 2 UEF/GTVA wars wraps up if the BP crew would ever consider releasing the original storyline Darius had planned. I'd be curious to see how it differs from the final product.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 05:12:59 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Original Darius storyline??
Heck, the talk of how the alpha version was makes me want to see for myself. XD.
Something about invincible UEF warships or something.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Darius

There was always going to be a third part: just that the original WiH was shorter than AoA, so the Vasudan arc of the storyline would be under the same chapter. What you would have got if it was still just me working on it would have had less of the awesome that's on there now.

Something about invincible UEF warships or something.

Argh. That's not how it went.

What happened was that most of the UEF losses took place off-screen rather than in-mission, a lot of how badly the war was going for them was told to the player, rather than shown. I talk about it a little bit in the developer's commentary for "Collateral Damage". As Bats said, the first UEF ship to be destroyed in-mission isn't until the second-last mission.

Fighters were pretty bad ass though. The original Steve-O Gattler was a beast.

EDIT: No, you don't want to see the original alpha.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:39:02 pm by Darius »

There was always going to be a third part: just that the original WiH was shorter than AoA, so the Vasudan arc of the storyline would be under the same chapter. What you would have got if it was still just me working on it would have had less of the awesome that's on there now.

So did the original story line centre on Samuel or whoever the protagonist was from AoA, or was it always centred on a UEFfie pilot?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, it was about a (male) UEF pilot named Laporte. He only had a few lines. Bei and the defectors didn't make an appearance.

There was no opening cutscene around Artemis Station.

The GTVA's big attack on Earth around mission 4 failed off-screen, and the GTVA war effort broke down after that. They were on the run from that point on.

Admiral Steele died in his first appearance (as did the Atreus and I think every other GTVA warship)

There was no attack on the Meridian and no Admiral Severanti. Nor did Calder, Netreba or Byrne have any development. There was no psych evaluation mission.

There were no Wargods and no attack on the Carthage. Simms was just a random squadron leader.

GTVA ships never warped out. No UEF capital ships were destroyed until the last or second-to-last mission.

The story in the released WiH covers about half of what was in the alpha and mostly follows the same skeleton, but in the original draft Laporte started out based on Rheza Station, not the Solaris. It's the same general story but with a lot of new threads, the GTVA made significantly more competent, and the characters fleshed out more. The biggest change is probably the UEF not kicking the GTVA's ass.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
In other words: Blue Planet 2: Alpha - April 1st, 2012

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Dang, sounds like the Tevs lose. . .  :doubt:

Offline Qent

Admiral Steele died in his first appearance (as did the Atreus and I think every other GTVA warship)
:wakka:

Now I must see it! After R2 though.

Also welcome back.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Why would you think that?

We're not dumb enough to post anything that would constitute a spoiler or a hint at a spoiler or some roundabout way of deducing a spoiler

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Battuta!  You're back! :D

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It is obvious that whatever plans the BP team had for the Sol war were heavily changed since Alpha. I wouldn't be anywhere close to surprised if the outcome was entirely different than what it used to be.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Drogoth

Never give up hope! Long live the Tevs! Hoo-rah!
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

Yes, I do, even though it's not anywhere near as good as the finished product. You're talking to someone who played all three Doom alphas from 1993, which didn't even have working monsters. :D

I love seeing incomplete and embryonic versions of things I've experienced the complete versions of, and seeing how initial versions develop into their final forms.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Yes, I do, even though it's not anywhere near as good as the finished product. You're talking to someone who played all three Doom alphas from 1993, which didn't even have working monsters. :D

I love seeing incomplete and embryonic versions of things I've experienced the complete versions of, and seeing how initial versions develop into their final forms.

I second that notion.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

I second that notion.

I pi'th that notion.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Darius

I'll see if there's a surviving copy around anywhere.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Yeah, it was about a (male) UEF pilot named Laporte. He only had a few lines. Bei and the defectors didn't make an appearance.

The GTVA's big attack on Earth around mission 4 failed off-screen, and the GTVA war effort broke down after that. They were on the run from that point on.

There was no attack on the Meridian and no Admiral Severanti. Nor did Calder, Netreba or Byrne have any development. There was no psych evaluation mission.

There were no Wargods and no attack on the Carthage. Simms was just a random squadron leader.

GTVA ships never warped out. No UEF capital ships were destroyed until the last or second-to-last mission.

The story in the released WiH covers about half of what was in the alpha and mostly follows the same skeleton, but in the original draft Laporte started out based on Rheza Station, not the Solaris. It's the same general story but with a lot of new threads, the GTVA made significantly more competent, and the characters fleshed out more. The biggest change is probably the UEF not kicking the GTVA's ass.

No offense to Darius intended but that sounds absolutely terrible.

No offense to Darius intended but that sounds absolutely terrible.

Age of Aquarius probably sounded like crap in point form too but it turned out awesome. So, personally I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
Also, so far as lists go it's a list of "what's different" as opposed to "what's good". If you describe a story by comparing it to another story and saying everything that wasn't in it, I'm sure almost anything would sound bad.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
It wasn't a bad campaign - I played it. It wasn't the sterling masterpiece contribution of an entire team, but the story and its missions were still rather epic, from memory.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
A few years ago I saw a "Sneak Peak" - the Vengeance's GTVA Titan on the UEF side. She was fighting with the GTD Titan on the Earth's orbit. That was so cool, so... Can I ask, what was the role of the UEF Titan in the alpha version of the storyline?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.