Author Topic: NBC Universal: ULTRA DIQUES  (Read 18309 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
NBC Universal: ULTRA DIQUES
Raise a glass to the BSG ModDB presence.

Kara, you champing stallion of manhood, assure me this: it's just a ModDB takedown thing, right? Not a cease and desist?

Offline newman

Re: NBC Universal: ULTRA DIQUES
I talked to Kara earlier today, and he didn't know what happened yet. Unless he found out something in the last few hours, we still don't know what happened, and to the best of my knowledge we haven't received any c&d's. Would be a bit strange if it happened now, as Universal has known about Diaspora for quite some time and some of us were even hired to work on the official game.
I can't even be sure this has anything to do with Universal, though it does seem like a probable scenario. What would they have to gain by pulling a bunch of non profit mods off a modding site well after the official game has been released is beyond me, though.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
oh noes, hope everything isn't all balls up.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
AFAIK the ModDB simply decided to purge anything which hadn't been updated in 4-5 months. Until I receive confirmation that it was due to something else, that's why I'd imagine it's gone.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
welp

http://www.moddb.com/forum/thread/calling-out-to-all-battlestar-galactica-modders/#693027

Not exactly confirmation but indicative, I guess? Every single BSG mod gone but stuff like Black Mesa Source and TBP, which haven't updated in a while, still fine.  :blah:

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
What does this mean for Diaspora?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hopefully nothing. There are several reasons why this might have happened at ModDB without it neccesariy affecting here, such as ModDB being run by a for-profit enterprise, or an overreaction by ModDB to a C&D delivered to an unrelated Battlestar mod (who may have done something more specific to irritate NBC).

Of course, that might be the wrong direction entirely. NBC might be coming for you Diaspora guys. Better hurry up and release, get the genie out of the bottle before NBC put a permanent cork on it. :p
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
One thing I've always wondered about projects that legitimately do get shut down because of legal bull**** is why it seems like no one ever goes ahead and finishes things up in private anyway, even if it's just to pass around to a few friends via closed downloads.  There's obviously no stopping that particular method, and at least all of that work doesn't go to waste.  Then maybe you wait several months to a year, maybe the mod "appears" on some file-sharing site, and voila.  No way to prove that the original team authorized the release or even created the content themselves, so the fans get what they want, and the lawyers don't have any recourse.

(Obviously, I sincerely hope that nothing like that will have to apply to Diaspora.)

One thing I've always wondered about projects that legitimately do get shut down because of legal bull**** is why it seems like no one ever goes ahead and finishes things up in private anyway, even if it's just to pass around to a few friends via closed downloads.  There's obviously no stopping that particular method, and at least all of that work doesn't go to waste.  Then maybe you wait several months to a year, maybe the mod "appears" on some file-sharing site, and voila.  No way to prove that the original team authorized the release or even created the content themselves, so the fans get what they want, and the lawyers don't have any recourse.

(Obviously, I sincerely hope that nothing like that will have to apply to Diaspora.)
Or move the project to a Russian server. :p

But, hopefully this is just a hiccup.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hopefully nothing. There are several reasons why this might have happened at ModDB without it neccesariy affecting here, such as ModDB being run by a for-profit enterprise, or an overreaction by ModDB to a C&D delivered to an unrelated Battlestar mod (who may have done something more specific to irritate NBC).

Whatever the cause, I must say that I'm immensely disappointed by the way ModDB handled things. It would not have taken much effort for them to have sent an email to the project leads saying what had happened. Instead it seems I have to send them a letter asking them what happened and wait over 24 hours for a response.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

Apparently they did notify the Nexus guys it was due to an NBC copyright claim. Why didn't we get the same treatment, I fail to understand.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Perhaps one mod did something unfortunate (used a non-free asset) and got warned, ModDB flipped out and dumped bsg?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
If I might pose a... perhaps silly?.. hypothesis, might it be that the Nexus mod would not result in a stand-alone product, and that the source product (Nexus itself) would require the end user to purchase a licence for the game? Diaspora will not match that criteria, as the game will be completely stand-alone, and a price cannot legally be applied to the software regardless.

That said, if the BSG mods were being canned due to concerns of profit infringement for Bigpoint's MMO (which Diaspora might still be a case thereof), Diaspora at least does not divert actual monetary assets from that product. Well, besides the point of not bothering to play said MMO...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline newman

That said, if the BSG mods were being canned due to concerns of profit infringement for Bigpoint's MMO (which Diaspora might still be a case thereof), Diaspora at least does not divert actual monetary assets from that product. Well, besides the point of not bothering to play said MMO...

If that was the motivation, it's pretty silly. BGO has been out for quite some time and has already lived through it's "new and exciting" phase. If they were concerned a bunch of non profit mods that aren't out yet would infringe on their profits, it would have made sense to act before BGO came out. Not go hiring artists from said mods and then have them removed from moddb months after BGO came out.
Anyway, if this stops just at moddb it's all good. And for now it seems to me that's indeed the case.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Has anyone contacted NBC already? (I assume so, just curious)

Offline Master_Drow

• Theseus CIC officer.
Why draw the attention, don't poke the sleeping dragon. For you are crunchy and go good with ketchup.

Offline joncfc

Why draw the attention, don't poke the sleeping dragon. For you are crunchy and go good with ketchup.

The legal bods at NBC will be aware of the mod.  It is what they are paid for.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:26:04 pm by JGZinv »
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The legal bods at NBC will be aware of the mod.  It is what they are paid for.

These are the same people who are getting paid to piss off their fans? Maybe it's time they stopped getting paid. NBCU should fire the dumbasses.

Offline Halleck

Sorry to hear about this - I saw the article in the Escapist and decided I should check in. It's good to know that Diaspora has not received a cease and desist.