Author Topic: Re: Not-so-secret Secret Project  (Read 23238 times)

Offline H-Alien

Re: Re: Not-so-secret Secret Project
...Let's not go and ask him to shoot for the moon all of a sudden.

nice figure of speach here ;)

ps. hi folks! recently rediscovered Freespace with all the fancy modifications. You people are doing some wonderfull stuff. And I'm off to the new people thread for a proper "you guys are so great, let me hang out with you" post :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If I wasn't having misgivings about how kosher it would be, I'd throw this up in a news post right now.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Smoke casts shadows just like clouds.
In case of clouds, they're scripted, so maybe scripting could be used to create their shadows.
As for smoke, in most cases, the effect is too subtle too notice in combat. It just wouldn't be worth the performance hit.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, Dragon, I am afraid that's impossible. For each light source, there is exactly one shadow map, and it's NOT practical to add particle effects (of any kind) into that pipeline. Adding the further complication of having to evaluate the particles' texture to determine how and where it casts shadows only makes it even more impractical.

So, I think this will not happen.

We will now return to more awesome discussions.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I never said that cloud shadows should consist of shadows of particles themselves. I was thinking about a more hack-ish workaround (like a separately defined shadow map, or a model roughly the shape of the bottom of the cloud, casting shadow, but actually invisible). Clouds are non-standard feature for FS, so I'd expect a non-standard solution for giving them shadows.
Besides, this is indeed an empty discussion. We have neither real clouds nor shadows, though both seem close.

Remember that those particles are not volumes, having a light from other than observer's direction would result in wrong shadow appearance (the shadow visible on surface would have same shape as smoke you see, even though it would logically appear different for the observer at light source).

Besides, the only place where this kind of shadow would be notable is in nebula, where you can do this quite cheap using something else.

Offline Kolgena

It's interesting that people would suggest that particles cast shadows. If I'm not mistaken, even the most technical games out there today don't render smoke shadows. Is there any particular reason that lots of people would like to see it implemented (aside from cloud shadows)?

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I think most are just day dreaming of what could be possible.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I think most are just day dreaming of what could be possible.

This.  :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Dunno about you guys, but I'm just interested in seeing shadows casted from one ship to another.  :drevil:
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Dunno about you guys, but I'm just interested in seeing self shadowing in a working build with other improvements added later.  :nervous:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Dunno about you guys, but I'm just interested in seeing self shadowing in a working build with other improvements added later.  :nervous:

That would be perfectly acceptable to have as a public test build.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken